Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

Glad to see it’s not just me. Thank you FoR3 for your unsafe space

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
      It’s clear that no one had the courtesy, or courage, to tell John Shea that TTN was to be shortened by 2 hours. His meticulously recorded presentation always includes a sign-off before the last item. Not on this occasion. So we had the jarring change of tone from Shea to Jorja Smith without warning....
      I didn't hear that - away from the radio at that point - but I've noticed (with all the presenters) that the last item or two of the third TTN sector is a kind of transition into Breakfast - usually an item that is in line with Breakfast's style, not too contemporary, demanding. I take that to be a 'marketing' ploy to keep listeners tuned to the station, in the same way that there is a 'handover interview' before the last item of Breakfast - SK, IS, AMcG or SW chatting a bit about the content of the next programme. So that has been lost...?

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Maybe it should be Tierjerker?
        (I'll get my coat & PPE.)

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Digital radio signal playing up , LMP ?
          No, FM radio as stated ts. Real boiling-marmalade sounds, in the exhilarating section devoted to listeners' domestic tapings, sounds we'd never otherwise get to hear like "church bells", "rain dripping" etc

The marmalade tale gave rise to a highly useful Alker reminder that now is the time to buy Seville oranges and get the big pan bubbling - sigh.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

What we lost from TtN last night to make room for this rubbish offering (times as given for Euroclassic Notturno):

12:01 AM Uuno Klami (1900-1961): Intermezzo for cor anglais and orchestra: Paivi Kaerkaes (cor anglais), Radion Sinfoniaorkesteri, Sakari Oramo (conductor) FIYLE
            12:05 AM Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643), Marco Uccellini (c.1603-1680), Giulio Caccini (lyricist), Anonymous (lyricist): 2 madrigals by Monteverdi and a Sonata by UccelliniConcerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini (director) DEWDR
            12:17 AM Henryk Gorecki (1933-2010): String Quartet No 1 Op 62 'Already It Is Dusk' Royal String Quartet PLPR
            12:32 AM Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179): O clarissima Mater (respond) Rondellus EEER
            12:41 AM Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791): Overture (Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, K384) Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Milan Horvat (conductor) NONRK
            12:47 AM Johannes Brahms (1833-1897): Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Muhseligen, Op 74 no 1 Hover State Chamber Chorus of Armenia, Sona Hovhannisyan (conductor) PLPR
            12:58 AM Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750): Fantasie in G major for organ, BWV 572 Scott Ross (organ ) CACBC
            01:08 AM Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969): Symphony no 3 Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jan Krenz (conductor) PLPR
            01:39 AM Gabriel Faure (1845-1924): Cello Sonata No 2 in G minor, Op 117Andreas Brantelid (cello), Bengt Forsberg (piano) NONRK

Any spacing and/or puctuation curriosities result from the copy, paste and editing from the EU Noturno site.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
              Banned
              • Oct 2020

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              It’s clear that no one had the courtesy, or courage, to tell John Shea that TTN was to be shortened by 2 hours. His meticulously recorded presentation always includes a sign-off before the last item. Not on this occasion. So we had the jarring change of tone from Shea to Jorja Smith without warning. It sounded like a coup.

And then Smith had the gall to tell us that her programme was a ‘safe space’.
              It's a crying shame, that's what it is!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                What we lost from TtN last night to make room for this rubbish offering (times as given for Euroclassic Notturno):

12:01 AM Uuno Klami (1900-1961): Intermezzo for cor anglais and orchestra: Paivi Kaerkaes (cor anglais), Radion Sinfoniaorkesteri, Sakari Oramo (conductor) FIYLE
                12:05 AM Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643), Marco Uccellini (c.1603-1680), Giulio Caccini (lyricist), Anonymous (lyricist): 2 madrigals by Monteverdi and a Sonata by UccelliniConcerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini (director) DEWDR
                12:17 AM Henryk Gorecki (1933-2010): String Quartet No 1 Op 62 'Already It Is Dusk' Royal String Quartet PLPR
                12:32 AM Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179): O clarissima Mater (respond) Rondellus EEER
                12:41 AM Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791): Overture (Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, K384) Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Milan Horvat (conductor) NONRK
                12:47 AM Johannes Brahms (1833-1897): Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Muhseligen, Op 74 no 1 Hover State Chamber Chorus of Armenia, Sona Hovhannisyan (conductor) PLPR
                12:58 AM Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750): Fantasie in G major for organ, BWV 572 Scott Ross (organ ) CACBC
                01:08 AM Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969): Symphony no 3 Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jan Krenz (conductor) PLPR
                01:39 AM Gabriel Faure (1845-1924): Cello Sonata No 2 in G minor, Op 117Andreas Brantelid (cello), Bengt Forsberg (piano) NONRK

Any spacing and/or puctuation curriosities result from the copy, paste and editing from the EU Noturno site.
                Now, that's what I call a therapeutic safe space.

Out of curiosity I listened to the opening of this morning's programme on Sounds. I lasted the verbal introduction (through gritted teeth and with rapidly rising blood pressure) and couldn't turn the ensuing musak off quickly enough.

I wonder what William Glock would have made of it?

I think a little late Fauré is just what I need right now to regain my equilibrium.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                  Now, that's what I call a therapeutic safe space.

Out of curiosity I listened to the opening of this morning's programme on Sounds. I lasted the verbal introduction (through gritted teeth and with rapidly rising blood pressure) and couldn't turn the ensuing musak off quickly enough.

I wonder what William Glock would have made of it?

I think a little late Fauré is just what I need right now to regain my equilibrium.
                  I am particularly annoyed by the loss of the Bacewicz. I don't think her 3rd Symphony has appeared before on TtN. A plague on the clowns who decided to lumber us with this truly tear-jerking mess.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                    It's a crying shame, that's what it is!
                    As Gerry sang ‘Don’t let the sun catch you crying’.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Glad to see it’s not just me. Thank you FoR3 for your unsafe space
                      One of the downsides of getting rid of Google Analytics is that we can no longer see how many BBC computers access the forum to check up on what we're saying.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        I didn't hear that - away from the radio at that point - but I've noticed (with all the presenters) that the last item or two of the third TTN sector is a kind of transition into Breakfast - usually an item that is in line with Breakfast's style, not too contemporary, demanding. I take that to be a 'marketing' ploy to keep listeners tuned to the station, in the same way that there is a 'handover interview' before the last item of Breakfast - SK, IS, AMcG or SW chatting a bit about the content of the next programme. So that has been lost...?
                        It so happened that the music immediately before the coup was a relatively undemanding, very pleasant piece from the 1980s, Bucolic by Ester Magi. It wouldn’t have been out of place in a Tearjerker playlist, but of course it was presented with exemplary objectivity by John Shea, who didn’t feel the need to tell us how we ought to react to the music, or that we were in a safe space to blub our eyes out etc.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Does anyone here know the email address for the programme's producer(s), makers or another mode of contact? It might be of some use to draw their attention to the content of this thread. I note that there is no link to the programme's website (if such exists) on its schedule page.

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Does anyone know the email address for the programme's producer(s), makers or another mode of contact? It might be of some use to draw their attention to the content of this thread. I note that there is no link to the programme's website (if such exists) on its schedule page.
                            BBC Audio:: https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021...medium=custom7

BBC Audio have over 650 staff in bases in Birmingham, Bristol, London and Salford.

bbcaudio@bbc.co.uk

At a guess , Jorja has been forced on Radio 3 ......
                            Last edited by Quarky; 16-01-21, 16:43.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                              BBC Audio:: https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021...medium=custom7

BBC Audio have over 650 staff in bases in Birmingham, Bristol, London and Salford.

bbcaudio@bbc.co.uk

At a guess , Jorja has been forced on Radio 3 ......
                              Quarky, Do you know which of these is responsible for Local radio and its diaobolical music policy?

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Quarky, Do you know which of these is responsible for Local radio and its diaobolical music policy?
                                Just consulting the Quarky search engine:: e.g. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/...ocal_radio.pdf .................

It seems BBC Trust is responsible for the Local Radio service licence (...no more than 2 minutes Classical Music....) :: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/...adio_apr16.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X