Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Referring to tearjerkers this was in the i today - instead of stealing Radio 3 time should this be on Radio 1 the station that young music listeners relate to?

https://inews.co.uk/culture/bbc-radi...celeste-827729
    Ah yes - comfort listening to the sound of black self supporting tights being snapped.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
      Banned
      • Oct 2020

Referring to tearjerkers this was in the i today - instead of stealing Radio 3 time should this be on Radio 1 the station that young music listeners relate to?

https://inews.co.uk/culture/bbc-radi...celeste-827729
      Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll just check to see whether there are any walls on which the paint will still be wet round about transmission time!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

I blundered into this, having had TTN on.... It was truly awful, IMVVHO and it went off after tolerating it for less than half an hour. Awful presentation.

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

I was going to complain there’s no playlist, but there’s one on the BBC website. As to the content of this show, if I wanted my sensibilities insulted first thing in the morning I’d have picked another station. No wonder millennials are so permanently disaffected if this is the mawkish sentimentality they want to wake up to. Encroaching Alkerisation that I don’t need. Put it elsewhere in the schedule, R3 you are patronising me. With this sort of stuff and its current status as government mouthpiece for Covid the Beeb is fast losing much of the respect I have for it. Perhaps the second cup of tea of the morning will assist. PS that piece in the i uses the unacceptable expression “deep dive”, no further comment needed.
          Last edited by muzzer; 16-01-21, 07:22.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            I blundered into this, having had TTN on.... It was truly awful, IMVVHO and it went off after tolerating it for less than half an hour. Awful presentation.
            Couldn't agree more! Presumably most of the target audience were - and very possibly are - still in bed.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
              Couldn't agree more! Presumably most of the target audience were - and very possibly are - still in bed.
              Anything else we’ve ever complained about now pales into significance. It even began with a factual blunder worthy of Scala Radio, announcing the first item as being by Albinoni, rather than by Giazotto, but after that: omg...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                ...and they are hardly going to seek it out on Sounds! What exactly is the point of this programme being on 3 - was it generated through Alkerithms? Seems we’ve moved from CfM2 to Scala2. I think this mix would actually suit Radio 2 or local radio in this time slot daily but used in conjunction with the news, weather, traffic the music suiting the the hour of day better than their usual diet of noisy pop music!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

It’s clear that no one had the courtesy, or courage, to tell John Shea that TTN was to be shortened by 2 hours. His meticulously recorded presentation always includes a sign-off before the last item. Not on this occasion. So we had the jarring change of tone from Shea to Jorja Smith without warning. It sounded like a coup.

And then Smith had the gall to tell us that her programme was a ‘safe space’.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Bit late in joining this thread but...

On waking c.0600 this AM (stress at packing for imminent house move), turned on R3 FM on old bedside radio to find some stress relief in good music. Was met by some popular female wailer, some announcement of 'Tearjerker', so assumed it was R2 or similar, assumed radio had somehow been knocked off tune, retuned (tuning scale not very readable), couldn't find anything sounding remotely like R3. Seriously wondered if perhaps it had been axed due to Covid staff shortages, turned off, went back to bed.

Tried another trip round the dial maybe 10 mins later, same sort of rubbish except for a very un-thrilling piece on thefts of snowdrops, presumably R4. Kept twiddling, in the end found Barber's Adagio (Agnus Dei?) and Nimrod, sobbed with relief. Then hurrah!- Croissant Corner and the sound of marmalade boiling - I knew I was safe home!
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                      It’s clear that no one had the courtesy, or courage, to tell John Shea that TTN was to be shortened by 2 hours. His meticulously recorded presentation always includes a sign-off before the last item. Not on this occasion. So we had the jarring change of tone from Shea to Jorja Smith without warning. It sounded like a coup.

And then Smith had the gall to tell us that her programme was a ‘safe space’.
                      Did she really say safe space? That’s 99% of opera ruled out then....

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=underthecountertenor;829053]It’s clear that no one had the courtesy, or courage, to tell John Shea that TTN was to be shortened by 2 hours. His meticulously recorded presentation always includes a sign-off before the last item. Not on this occasion. So we had the jarring change of tone from Shea to Jorja Smith without warning. It sounded like a coup.

And then Smith had the gall to tell us that her programme was a ‘safe space’.[/QUOTE]

Maybe she would revise that if she heard to forum comments. This space has been stolen by infiltrators from Radio 1!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          Looks like it..... but then I often enjoy Smooth Classics after 2200.......(especially if the News is simply revising Brexit or Covid....) .....often alternate Newsnight/Smooth Classics....

Not that I'll ever hear it at 0500.......iPlayer later perhaps....

Not sure about the title though......"tearjerker"...to bring you "comfort and escape"? (Sci-fi and football work better for me in that....)
                          More like "Catharsis"......
                          Check it out on Sounds, Jayne - how does the reality match up your expectations?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Bit late in joining this thread but...

On waking c.0600 this AM (stress at packing for imminent house move), turned on R3 FM on old bedside radio to find some stress relief in good music. Was met by some popular female wailer, some announcement of 'Tearjerker', so assumed it was R2 or similar, assumed radio had somehow been knocked off tune, retuned (tuning scale not very readable), couldn't find anything sounding remotely like R3. Seriously wondered if perhaps it had been axed due to Covid staff shortages, turned off, went back to bed.

Tried another trip round the dial maybe 10 mins later, same sort of rubbish except for a very un-thrilling piece on thefts of snowdrops, presumably R4. Kept twiddling, in the end found Barber's Adagio (Agnus Dei?) and Nimrod, sobbed with relief. Then hurrah!- Croissant Corner and the sound of marmalade boiling - I knew I was safe home!
                            Digital radio signal playing up , LMP ?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

...was it generated through Alkerithms?

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

...and they are hardly going to seek it out on Sounds! What exactly is the point of this programme being on 3 - was it generated through Alkerithms? Seems we’ve moved from CfM2 to Scala2. I think this mix would actually suit Radio 2 or local radio in this time slot daily but used in conjunction with the news, weather, traffic the music suiting the the hour of day better than their usual diet of noisy pop music!
                                Very good

Safe space.......( insert own expression of exasperation)
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X