Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Does this include female lorry drivers? What makes lorry drivers "tough" anyway? And why should crying seem noteworthy among them?
    Entirely valid point. A little over a decade ago I had a colleague who, immediately prior to becoming a PCV driver had worked for a while as a horse-box driver after leaving the army where she had driven tank-transporters during the Balkans conflict. She was both small and a bundle of fun. Tough for her size but would have had trouble with the steering, had it been other than power-assisted.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      I think it was an urban myth to be honest ..but Our Tune did have a huge audience - 11 million at its height.
      BBC research did reveal that overnight lorry drivers were among the very few listening to TTN at about 3am. The total live audience, including insomniacs, is/was only (if I remember) c. 3,000. Certainly less than listen to TTN on demand now during the daytime.

NB Fewer than 1% of registered HGV drivers are female, so statistically those apocryphally reported to be in tears in any given layby while listening to Our Tune would have overwhelmingly - if not exclusively - been male. I suspect all HGV drivers have to be fairly tough to handle a 44-tonner.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        BBC research did reveal that overnight lorry drivers were among the very few listening to TTN at about 3am. The total live audience, including insomniacs, is/was only (if I remember) c. 3,000. Certainly less than listen to TTN on demand now during the daytime.

NB Fewer than 1% of registered HGV drivers are female, so statistically those apocryphally reported to be in tears in any given layby while listening to Our Tune would have overwhelmingly - if not exclusively - been male. I suspect all HGV drivers have to be fairly tough to handle a 44-tonner.
        Fantastic bit of research . Up there with the bit of BBC research done in the 80’s showing that only a tiny percentage of listeners on FM stereo had their speakers correctly aligned for a stereo image , with the left and right channels correctly plugged and in phase ..

Comment

• Leinster Lass
          Banned
          • Oct 2020

Designed to turn off the kind of listener they don't want and not bother the kind of listener they do want.

I have heard that TTN is favourite listening for some overnight lorry drivers. Just wait until they start complaining!
          It might keep those heading for Dover calm as they try to decipher their new Customs declarations or whatever.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            The adagios from the Saint-Saens' 3rd Symphony, and the Brahms D Minor Piano Concerto, which tend to turn up fairly frequently. Khachaturian's Adagio of Spartacus and Phyrgia comes around and around too; slays me every time. I have to stop chopping the salad in case, blinded by hot tears, I cut my finger; or the knife skids off the board, narrowly missing a Cat.......I often feel compelled to air-conduct that one...

Last night Myleene gave us - wait for it - the andante from the Raff Symphony No.4....(only telling us afterward, of course...lovely piece, never knew it)...

So there's some innovative programming for you...and the serendipity I crave....
            Thank you! (Don't underestimate the sheer size of the gaps in my musical knowledge )

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Designed to turn off the kind of listener they don't want and not bother the kind of listener they do want.

I have heard that TTN is favourite listening for some overnight lorry drivers. Just wait until they start complaining!
              At the risk of labouring the point according to Simon Bates in that classic book on Radio 1 The Nation’s Favourite the management hated Our Tune and did everything they could to can it . Whenever it was taken off they were deluged with complaints. As William Goldman said about the movie business “no one knows anything.” It’ll probably be a massive hit ( in 5am terms) .

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                It might keep those heading for Dover calm as they try to decipher their new Customs declarations or whatever.
                I would have thought "Cheer Up Time" would have been more suitable than "Tearjerker".

No, on second thoughts, a sequence of Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, O Happy Day, Exsultate, Jubilate &c might send them mad.

At the risk of labouring the point according to Simon Bates in that classic book on Radio 1 The Nation’s Favourite the management hated Our Tune and did everything they could to can it . Whenever it was taken off they were deluged with complaints. As William Goldman said about the movie business “no one knows anything.” It’ll probably be a massive hit ( in 5am terms) .
                I'm genuinely unsure what kind of audience is listening to R3 at 5am.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

I would have thought "Cheer Up Time" would have been more suitable than "Tearjerker".

No, on second thoughts, a sequence of Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, O Happy Day, Exsultate, Jubilate &c might send them mad.

Isn’t it the pre-breakfast slot generally put in a safe -pair -of -hands like Alan Partridge ?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Wonder what the count is now....

There's a whole tribe of Cara Dunes out there....!

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2020

Isn’t it the pre-breakfast slot generally put in a safe -pair -of -hands like Alan Partridge ?
                      Would he be able to resist the temptation to repeatedly play tracks by A Ha?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                        Would he be able to resist the temptation to repeatedly play tracks by A Ha?
                        Or "Nobody does it better"....or ​"Don't you want me.."..

Maybe that would work for Radio 3....

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Yes, numbers might have increased by 100% - to over 1.5%

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Safe, probably, but I don't think it's one of the best 'rewarded' slots, not high profile.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

I'm pretty certain that goes for the Beeb as well, the difference being that your uncertainty doesn't affect what's broadcast...
                              Increasingly, and not through choice I might add, I find myself listening at 5am. I don't know whether to feel pleased or concerned that statistically I might be slightly significant in terms of listening figures!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Referring to tearjerkers this was in the i today - instead of stealing Radio 3 time should this be on Radio 1 the station that young music listeners relate to?

Comment

Working...
                                X