Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I would guess that focus group includes nobody over 50!
    It should match the local radio demographic which is largely over 65! That’s why you hear lots of sixties hits ...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Not at all, very obviously....they are not coterminous... see my link.....
      I don't think they need to be coterminous in order to be a tautology, as in 'for BBC Radio 3 and the BBC'. What I was asking originally was whether a programme could be made for BBC Sounds without being on live radio (cf 'for Radio 3 and BBC Sounds'), in which case this Tearjerker thing wouldn't have to take up any of the TTN airtime to cater for the Radio 1 listeners who would listen on BBC Sounds.

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      BBC Audio is more specifically about the Engineering side, though it will of course highlight some programmes too...
      Podcasts – music – radio – live events – sound design

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcaudio/about
      It seems to be about the programmes and the production staff, rather than engineering…
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
        Where will your little foray take you, I wonder?
        In the end it took me to my tax return - Tearjerker had proved to be one of the few things on earth even worse than that annual bout of misery and frustration!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
          It should match the local radio demographic which is largely over 65! That’s why you hear lots of sixties hits ...
          If only!
          Talking of the oldies in the county - the lowest covid figures are in the 60 - 79 group - we don’t get around much anymore!

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            If only!
            Talking of the oldies in the county - the lowest covid figures are in the 60 - 79 group - we don’t get around much anymore!
            Great name for a song!

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              What we lost from TtN last night to make room for this rubbish offering (times as given for Euroclassic Notturno):

12:01 AM Uuno Klami (1900-1961): Intermezzo for cor anglais and orchestra: Paivi Kaerkaes (cor anglais), Radion Sinfoniaorkesteri, Sakari Oramo (conductor) FIYLE
              12:05 AM Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643), Marco Uccellini (c.1603-1680), Giulio Caccini (lyricist), Anonymous (lyricist): 2 madrigals by Monteverdi and a Sonata by UccelliniConcerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini (director) DEWDR
              12:17 AM Henryk Gorecki (1933-2010): String Quartet No 1 Op 62 'Already It Is Dusk' Royal String Quartet PLPR
              12:32 AM Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179): O clarissima Mater (respond) Rondellus EEER
              12:41 AM Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791): Overture (Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, K384) Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Milan Horvat (conductor) NONRK
              12:47 AM Johannes Brahms (1833-1897): Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Muhseligen, Op 74 no 1 Hover State Chamber Chorus of Armenia, Sona Hovhannisyan (conductor) PLPR
              12:58 AM Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750): Fantasie in G major for organ, BWV 572 Scott Ross (organ ) CACBC
              01:08 AM Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969): Symphony no 3 Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Jan Krenz (conductor) PLPR
              01:39 AM Gabriel Faure (1845-1924): Cello Sonata No 2 in G minor, Op 117Andreas Brantelid (cello), Bengt Forsberg (piano) NONRK

Any spacing and/or puctuation curriosities result from the copy, paste and editing from the EU Noturno site.
              Thanks, Bryn!

Plenty of scope for emoting, there, I should have thought!

Like others here, I hate the idea of encouraging people to think of classical - or indeed any - music as a resource to be deliberately mined for self-manipulation, whatever the desired emotion to be released might be.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Thanks, Bryn!

Plenty of scope for emoting, there, I should have thought!

Like others here, I hate the idea of encouraging people to think of classical - or indeed any - music as a resource to be deliberately mined for self-manipulation, whatever the desired emotion to be released might be.
                A slight rcompensation regarding this loss is that the longest work, in what appears to be the same perfromance, can be found on Youtube, though in consederably lower audio quality (128kbps, rather than 320kbps aac):

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

A slight rcompensation regarding this loss is that the longest work, in what appears to be the same perfromance, can be found on Youtube, though in consederably lower audio quality (128kbps, rather than 320kbps aac):
                  Rather relieved, in alll the circs, that it doesn't have a subtitle including the word 'sorrowful'....
                  Last edited by kernelbogey; 17-01-21, 11:33.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    It must have been in about 2000 that the then DG, Mark Thompson, went for his annual Parliamentary grilling, and the question of Radio 3 came up as being perceived to have lost a lot of listeners (due entirely, as far as I could see, to a change in RAJAR's data collection methodology, and that was indeed Radio 3's defence when challenged). The answer that Thompson gave seems more and more chilling now:

"The network's target audience has been redefined and broadened and the schedule began to be recast to move towards this during 1999."

This seems to mean, "We are no longer going to focus on the station's classical music audience. For various reasons we shall target alternative audiences with a broader range of a music [Late Junction dates from this era] and audiences who have not hitherto had an interest in classical music."
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

Does anyone here know the email address for the programme's producer(s), makers or another mode of contact? It might be of some use to draw their attention to the content of this thread. I note that there is no link to the programme's website (if such exists) on its schedule page.
                      Sorry, I'm late to the party / furore...
                      I complained to throughthenight@bbc.co.uk (given here) about the 2 hour Saturday cuts & took a punt on Alan.Davey@bbc.co.uk (which may not be right for the controller of R3) as well.
                      Bill Nicholls has been helpful in the past and was (Lead) Producer 'Through the Night' 1999-2020 (according to LinkedIn) - not sure if he stilll is.

This media centre page has an Alan Davey quote:
                      "We know that younger audiences are discovering orchestral and instrumental music through streaming cross-genre playlists, and find it not only enjoyable and enriching, a time for discovery, but also relaxing and calming and helping to manage their moods."

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        I complained to throughthenight@bbc.co.uk (given here) about the 2 hour Saturday cuts & took a punt on Alan.Davey@bbc.co.uk (which may not be right for the controller of R3) as well.
                        Bill Nicholls has been helpful in the past and was (Lead) Producer 'Through the Night' 1999-2020 (according to LinkedIn) - not sure if he stilll is.

"We know that younger audiences are discovering orchestral and instrumental music through streaming cross-genre playlists, and find it not only enjoyable and enriching, a time for discovery, but also relaxing and calming and helping to manage their moods."
                        Thanks for the information.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

You can hear the Bacewicz on Swedish radio's Notturno for the next week or so - it starts ~1:07:52.
                          Press the play button (black circle with a white triangle), if you click the up arrow on the far right of the player at the bottom of the webpage, you can select "Hög" for 192kbps High audio quality "Ljudkvalitet" (default is 96kbps) and use the black "progress" bar to go to ~1:07:52.

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 19-01-21, 17:51.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                            Host
                            • Jun 2018

Here's a list of the 2 hours that we Brits missed from Saturday's "Through the Night" - replaced by that abysmal drivel "Tearjerker with Jorja Smith".
                            The Swedes (& some other lucky Euroclassic Notturno listeners) heard the full 6 hour programme - available to listen to for ~9 days here (starts ~1 minute in):

5:01 Carl Maria von Weber; The Ruler of the spirits, overture, Op 27; BBC Philharmonic, Vassily Sinaisky (conductor)
                            5:07 Eugene Ysaye; Sonata for solo violin in D minor, Op.27'3; Byungchan Lee (violin)
                            5:14 Alexander Arutunyan; Concerto for trumpet and orchestra; Stanislaw Dziewor (trumpet), Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra, Gabriel Chmura (conductor)
                            5:30 Barbara Strozzi; "L'Eraclito amoroso" for Soprano and continuo; Musica Fiorita, Susanne Ryden (soprano), Rebeka Ruso (viola da gamba), Rafael Bonavita (theorbo), Daniela Dolci (harpsichord), Daniela Dolci (director)
                            5:36 Bela Bartok; Petite suite for piano (Sz.105) arr. from "44 Duos"; Jan Michiels (piano)
                            5:44 Frantisek Jiranek; Sinfonia in F major; Collegium Marianum
                            5:53 Dorado Schmitt; Bossa Dorado; Sandu Sura (cimbalom), Django Club Trio
                            5:57 Claude Debussy; Nocturnes for orchestra; Women's Voices of the NFM Chorus, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Katowice, Jose Maria Florencio (conductor)
                            6:23 Wilhelm Stenhammar; Quartet for strings No 4 in A minor, Op 25; Oslo Quartet

Info from: https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202021.pdf
                            Last edited by AuntDaisy; 23-01-21, 09:51.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

An official complaint through the BBC complaints procedure might reach some people responsible for this trash, but unfortunately I can't steel myself to listen to the programme right through to make a balanced statement. Much of it seemed a million miles away from Classical Music.

Well, I'm accustomed to switching off the radio at 7 am on Saturdays; I'll just have to make sure it is now switched off earlier at 5 am. I'll listen to the sounds in my own head instead, probably a healthy exercise.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I'd forgotten about this and have just seen it when checking today's schedule. Fortunately(sort of!) I had woken at 1-30 this morning and, unable as is too often the case to go back to sleep went downstairs and put the radio on to listen ti TTN. Back to sleep after 4 and back up at 7-45 having missed Tearjerker. I may be one of those lower life forms that listen to the morning programmes, but I really don't want that collage style in the wee small hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X