Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Looking at what RW inherited from Nicholas Kenyon - the Kenyon-style was "my" Radio 3. Eg May 1999.
    PS I have suggested Vi turbate be omitted from the list of contributors
    Yes, I think I could have been happy then as well (although we were living in Denmark with R4 LW).

... and that well know pianist "Stravinsky Pulcinella" in Sound Stories.
    The joys of OCR, tagging and XML ingests.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

Some of us thought the the Kenyon years represented the end of civilisation - in retrospect they look like a golden age!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
        Some of us thought the the Kenyon years represented the end of civilisation - in retrospect they look like a golden age!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Yes, I know ferney felt the same. But I hadn't been listening to R3 much back in the earlier days (still less the Third) or I might have thought everything was going downhill. I have vague, positive memories of the Drummond era, slight reservations over Kenyon, and a real culture shock with Wright. By the time Tearjerker and Happy Harmonies arrived I was long gone.

Radio 3 won't disappear off the dial: it will simply continue evolving in the direction it has taken over the past 20 or so years. Form your own conclusions.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

the Kenyon-style was "my" Radio 3.
            Mine too, now you mention that controller-sequence.

I'm sure there are those who much prefer what's on offer now.
            If anyone gained the impression, from other posts of mine, that this is my view, then I hasten to affirm and agree with Frenchie's Kenyon-era-philia. I was arguing, in a slghtly differing context, that the present Radio 3 mix is best tolerated, since it's here to stay - and the pressure on the suits to expand its 'relevance' will increase. I argued the we have about 50% 'traditional' Radio 3 fare. Best to vigorously defend that postion, IMVHO, than to campaign for a return to pre-Kenyon values.

I listened to the distinctively-trailed Bruckner 9 last evening, and was reminded how much I miss those erudite and really educative interval talks about the music.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I listened to the distinctively-trailed Bruckner 9 last evening, and was reminded how much I miss those erudite and really educative interval talks about the music.

There's always this 20min 2012 Bruckner 9 talk with Stephen Johnson.

There was an earlier 45min 2003 SJ talk, which used to be available.
              Stephen Johnson looks at Bruckner's final composition, his Symphony No. 9 in D minor, which remained incomplete on his death. With musical examples played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by Peter Stark.
              But, for intellectual rigour, erudition & sheer unabashed fluffiness, how can anything compete with Tom Service from 2019?
              Bruckner and the Symphonic Boa Constrictors
              The Listening Service
              Even today, some music lovers will nod knowingly when they hear Brahms's comparison of Anton Bruckner's epic symphonies with a nightmare-scary giant snake that kills its victims in the inescapable embrace of its crushing coils. Poor Bruckner, ever the easy target of sneering critics. At once childishly obsessive and intensely spiritual, ultra-sophisticated musician and naive country bumpkin: even by composers' standards he stood out as weird. No wonder the music was so hopeless!
              But Tom Service wants you to think of Bruckner as one of the greatest and most original symphonists of all time (whose symphonies really don't all sound the same), as much master of daring long-range musical form as of the perfect miniature.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                But, for intellectual rigour, erudition & sheer unabashed fluffiness, how can anything compete with Tom Service from 2019?

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Little did we know how bad it would get
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post

Little did we know how bad it would get
                    I think it was Kenyon who introduced the 'Breakfast' concept to Radio 3 with On Air (successor to Morning Concert) and 'Drivetime' with In Tune, about the only Kenyon programme that Wright didn't drop and which survives to this day. Kenyon also trialled Morning Collection with Paul Gambaccini - the one programme which made me switch off.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

As a producer, Derek Drescher had a very positive influence on Radio 3 with regards to adventurous jazz and modern music productions. I have seen him at various gigs and concerts in his retirement and was once introduced to him - a very kindly as well as enlightened man. I can't say under which Radio 3 Controllership, however.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        As a producer, Derek Drescher had a very positive influence on Radio 3 with regards to adventurous jazz and modern music productions. I have seen him at various gigs and concerts in his retirement and was once introduced to him - a very kindly as well as enlightened man. I can't say under which Radio 3 Controllership, however.
                        From the genome it looks as if he spanned the Drumond, Kenyon and early Wright controllerships. If I remember correctly, Kenyon expanded jazz programming the most.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today. Available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Louis Spohr; Concerto for two violins and orchestra in B minor, Op.88; Igor Ozim (violin), Primoz Novsak (violin), RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Samo Hubad (conductor)
                          01:27 Giacomo Carissimi; Dixit Dominus; Capella Regia Musicalis, Robert Hugo (organ), Robert Hugo (director)
                          01:42 Johannes Brahms, Edmund Rubbra (arranger); 25 Variations and fugue on a theme by G F Handel (Op.24); Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Johannes Fritzsch (conductor)
                          02:10 William Bolcom; The Graceful Ghost - from 3 Ghost Rags (1971); Donna Coleman (piano)
                          02:15 Antonio Vivaldi; Flute Concerto in D major RV.90 (Il Gardellino); Giovanni Antonini (recorder), Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini (director)
                          02:26 Richard Charlton; Dances for the Rainbow Serpent; Guitar Trek
                          02:36 Healey Willan; Centennial March (1967); Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, Uri Mayer (conductor)
                          02:42 Dobri Hristov; Heruvimska pesen No 4 (Cherubic Song); Polyphonia
                          02:49 Armas Jarnefelt; The Sound of Home; Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ilpo Mansnerus (conductor)

info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...une%202022.pdf

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                            Host
                            • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today. Available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Antonin Dvorak; Concerto for cello and orchestra (Op.104) in B minor; Truls Mørk (cello), Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, André Previn (conductor)
                            01:41 Johannes Brahms; 25 Variations and fugue on a theme by G F Handel for piano, Op 24; Simon Trpčeski (piano)
                            02:07 Giovanni Battista Viotti; Duo concertante in D minor; Alexandar Avramov (violin), Ivan Peev (violin)
                            02:15 Claudio Monteverdi; Laudate pueri (Psalm 113), SV 270; Collegium Vocale 1704, Collegium 1704, Václav Luks (conductor)
                            02:23 Johann Strauss II; An der schönen Blauen Donau (Blue Danube), Op 314; BBC Concert Orchestra, Barry Wordsworth (conductor)
                            02:33 Antonio Vivaldi; Trio Sonata in D minor Op 1 No 12 'La Folia' (1705); Florilegium Collinda
                            02:42 Marko Ruždjak; April is the Cruellest Month; Zagreb Guitar Trio
                            02:50 Claude Debussy; Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune; BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Donald Runnicles (conductor)

Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...une%202022.pdf

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky; The Seasons Op.37b for piano; Juhani Lagerspetz (piano)
                              01:43 Pancho Vladigerov; Hebrew Poem, op 47; Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Georgi Dimitrov (conductor)
                              01:58 Franz Doppler; Fantaisie pastorale hongroise (Op.26) (version for flute & piano); Ian Mullin (flute), Richard Shaw (piano)
                              02:09 Mikhail Glinka, Alexander Pushkin (author); Adele (song); Petteri Salomaa (baritone), Ilmo Ranta (piano)
                              02:12 Mikhail Glinka; Ya pomnyu chudnoye mgnoven'ye (song); Petteri Salomaa (baritone), Ilmo Ranta (piano)
                              02:16 Richard Strauss; Dance of the Seven Veils from Salome (Op 54); Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Stuart Challender (conductor)
                              02:27 George Frideric Handel; Sonata for 2 violins in G minor, HWV 390a; Musica Alta Ripa
                              02:37 Antonio Vivaldi; Nulla in mundo pax sincera, RV 630; Emma Kirkby (soprano), Academy of Ancient Music, Andrew Manze (director)
                              02:45 Bernhard Henrik Crusell; Farval (Farewell); Eeva-Liisa Saarinen (mezzo soprano), Ilmo Ranta (piano)
                              02:50 Hector Berlioz; Le Carnaval romain Op 9, Overture; Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Mário Košik (conductor)
                              Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...une%202022.pdf

I see that "Happy Harmonies with Laufey" is a repeat and comes with a "This programme contains mild swearing" warning.
                              It generates vigorous cursing over here, particularly as yet more repeated drivel is due.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

I'm intrigued by: Pancho-Vladigerov-Hebrew-Bulgarian

Is this what they mean by world music?

Comment

Working...
                                X