Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    Chacun à son goût.
    It sounds as if Sara Mohr-Pietsch and Hannah Peel will be up until dawn - will you brave the wee small hours?

The "nature writer Chris Yates, who take us on a night walk through moonlit forests and nocturnal landscapes" sounded interesting, but I'm not keen on the extras.
    The Bach Goldberg radical reinterpretation has already come up in this thread.

Given the number of trailers for the "After Dark Festival", I'll be amazed if it doesn't.
    Why can't Sunday's missing TTN & the Saturday 2 hours be made available on Sounds? EBU Notturno is still going out & I bet the announcers have done their announcy bits. Answers, on postcard...
    I tend to access TtN, and much else, via Sounds, after the event. I would very much appreciate TtN rebroadcasting the three all-night concerts of South Asian music Radio 3 has broadcast in the past, two from the Proms (1981 and 1983) and one from the EIF.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It sounds as if Sara Mohr-Pietsch and Hannah Peel will be up until dawn
      Like the TTN presenters?

EBU Notturno is still going out & I bet the announcers have done their announcy bits.
      Well, for all I know, the UK presenters will have had their hours cut as their contributions won't be needed as much.

The point I'm making is that: We Have Been Here Before. It started uncontroversially - in my view - with Mixing It. Then Late Junction was added for four nights a week. Then Andy Kershaw was moved directly from Radio 1 to Radio 3. The fact that there were ready audiences for all these programmes is not the point. The Andy Kershaw fans moaned at the snobby classical listeners who moaned about Andy Kershaw. "But for goodness sake, it's only on for 75 mins once a week." Disregarding the fact that there was also Mixing It and Late Junction covering 5 nights, and the play on the 6th night. Plus Brian Kay's beloved Light Programme (beloved by fans of light music), Stage and Screen with musicals and film music, plus World Routes. And whichever programme they listen to, the fans cry, "But it's only on for …'

The direction of travel is that classical music risks becoming the jazz of Radio 3, tolerated as long as it either doesn't take up much time or otherwise has been repackaged to make it an alternative form of light entertainment.

Comment is Free
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Like the TTN presenters?

Well, for all I know, the UK presenters will have had their hours cut as their contributions won't be needed as much.

The point I'm making is that: We Have Been Here Before. It started uncontroversially - in my view - with Mixing It. Then Late Junction was added for four nights a week. Then Andy Kershaw was moved directly from Radio 1 to Radio 3. The fact that there were ready audiences for all these programmes is not the point. The Andy Kershaw fans moaned at the snobby classical listeners who moaned about Andy Kershaw. "But for goodness sake, it's only on for 75 mins once a week." Disregarding the fact that there was also Mixing It and Late Junction covering 5 nights, and the play on the 6th night. Plus Brian Kay's beloved Light Programme (beloved by fans of light music), Stage and Screen with musicals and film music, plus World Routes. And whichever programme they listen to, the fans cry, "But it's only on for …'

The direction of travel is that classical music risks becoming the jazz of Radio 3, tolerated as long as it either doesn't take up much time or otherwise has been repackaged to make it an alternative form of light entertainment.

Comment is Free
        You're right about the erosion, but I'd not looked at like that before.
        I also hadn't realised that "Mixing It" had started in 1990 "... music mixing styles and influences, and the musicians who play it." and "Late Junction" in 1999 "... exploring different avenues of music, covering everything from plainchant to postmodern".
        Andy Kershaw was 2001 "... his mix of world music, folk, blues and the unexpected to Radio 3" as was Brian Kay "... celebrating the wide and varied genre of light music".

Talking of which, I caught a bit of Disney's "Encanto" being purveyed by Elizabeth Alker - I quickly turned over to R4 and depressing news.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I would very much appreciate TtN rebroadcasting the three all-night concerts of South Asian music Radio 3 has broadcast in the past, two from the Proms (1981 and 1983) and one from the EIF.
          Bryn, at first, I thought you meant TTN had already repeated these :-)
          1981 Prom 42 - All-night concert of music from India
          "The concert was scheduled to last from 11.00 pm until 7.00 am next day, with three intervals. The tanpura drone accompaniment during the night was taken in turn by Dharambir Singh and Ballavi Shar."
          1983 Prom 44 - All-night concert of music from India
          "The concert was scheduled to last from 11.00 pm until 6.55 am next day, with three intervals."
          If we're allowed to wish for Archival things, I'd love to hear "Music at Night", e.g. David Munrow & Christopher Hogwood playing Daniel Purcell, Andrew Parcham, William Croft & Handel.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Bryn, at first, I thought you meant TTN had already repeated these :-)

If we're allowed to wish for Archival things, I'd love to hear "Music at Night", e.g. David Munrow & Christopher Hogwood playing Daniel Purcell, Andrew Parcham, William Croft & Handel.
            Well before the 'days' of TtN, the 1981 All-nighter was indeed rebroadcast, in the summer of 1982. That gave me the opportunity to 'upgrade' to 19.05 and 9.53 cm/s my 4.76 cm/s reel-to-reel recording (triple-play tape set to record from 1 hour after the start to the end, plus a C120 cassette set to record the first hour). This while I attended the concert. Trouble is, these days I have no servicable machine to play them back on.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Anyone remember the all night broadcast of Satie's Vexations (840 repeats) by a team of pianists? I had the radio on all night and drifted in and out of sleep. As dawn came up somewhere in (I think) Gloucestershire, they incuded birdsong. I'd guess it was in the late '90s.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Anyone remember the all night broadcast of Satie's Vexations (840 repeats) by a team of pianists? I had the radio on all night and drifted in and out of sleep. As dawn came up somewhere in (I think) Gloucestershire, they incuded birdsong. I'd guess it was in the late '90s.
                Sunday 28th May 2000 according to Genome - I wasn't living in the UK then.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Sunday 28th May 2000 according to Genome - I wasn't living in the UK then.
                  Thanks AuntDaisy - I didn't know about that archive.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Not sure why, but I quite missed that at the time. I have, however, attended three complete performances (two by Gavin Bryars and Christopher Hobbs, in the early 1970s and one relay performance are an Almeida Festival in the early 1980s. I also have the complete recording by Jeroen van Veen. There is also at least one other by Alessandro Deljavan but it seems bot too quick.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Igor Levit streamed a performance from Berlin during lockdown. He read from 840 pages of music, discarding them one by one. (There was a plan for him to sign these and they would be sold for charity - but I never heard any more about that at the time.)

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Bach's Goldberg variations may have helped Count Kaiserling to sleep, but this new & improved version isn't doing anything for me. Neither is being asked "How you all doing??". I'm off elsewhere in search of Morpheus.

"Just start a conversation and the owls will respond"

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Johann Sebastian Bach; Keyboard Concerto No.2 in E major (BWV.1053); Angela Hewitt (piano), CBC Vancouver Orchestra, Mario Bernardi (conductor)
                          01:21 Carl Maria von Weber; Missa sancta no 1 (J.224) in E flat major 'Freischutzmesse'; Norwegian Soloist Choir, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Grete Pedersen (conductor)
                          01:54 Johann Andreas Kauchlitz Colizzi; Sonatina I in G - from Six Sonatines, Op 8; Peter van Dijk (organ)
                          01:59 Blaz Arnic; Overture to the Comic Opera, Op 11; RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Anton Nanut (conductor)
                          02:06 Franz Liszt; Tarantella from Venezia e Napoli (S.162); Janina Fialkowska (piano)
                          02:15 Francois Francoeur; Arnold Trowell (arranger); Sonata in E major (arr. Trowell for cello and piano); Monica Leskhovar (cello), Ivana Schwartz (piano)
                          02:26 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Pamina's aria: "Ach, ich fuhl's, es ist verschwunden" - from 'The Magic Flute'; Irma Urrila (soprano), Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Okko Kamu (conductor)
                          02:31 Jean Sibelius; Finlandia, Op 26; BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard (conductor)
                          02:39 Frantisek Jiranek; Sinfonia in D major; Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova (director)
                          02:47 Johann Sebastian Bach; Andreas Staier (arranger), Tobias Koch (arranger); Vom Himmel hoch - canonic variations BWV.769 arr piano; Andreas Staier (piano), Tobias Koch (piano)
                          Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ril%202022.pdf

From a quick search, I think that Jiranek's lively Sinfonia in D major might have been new to TTN (had it been broadcast).

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                            • Mar 2007

I'm sorry to dash your hopes of fresh material being broadcast on TTN, but according to the database it has been on TTN once or twice before, and seems to have been the same performers on at least 10 occasions.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                              I'm sorry to dash your hopes of fresh material being broadcast on TTN, but according to the database it has been on TTN once or twice before, and seems to have been the same performers on at least 10 occasions.
                              Impressive Andrew

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Impressive Andrew
                                Impressive Andrew

Unimpressive R3 'Morning Anton!
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X