Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I note: "A Reduced Listening production for BBC Radio 3 "

No comment
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Well we've already been treated to this on yesterday's Afternoon Concert, so I'm sure it'll be fine...
      Johann Sebastian Bach
      Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 - Part 1Performer: Jörg Achim Keller. Music Arranger: Bill Dobbins.
      I'd missed that (and most Afternoon Concerts). I managed 5 minutes - not sure it's radical enough, just plain creepy.

I'm guessing it will be more like this CD? Which you can hear here. (More info here)
      The Goldberg Variations form a cornerstone of keyboard repertoire, yet we rarely question the mode of presentation for this piece. Austrian composer Karlheinz Essl offers a refreshing glimpse of a new performance practice through his unusual take in Gold.Berg.Werk. Originally envisioned as a performance environment for string trio, the new version for piano and live electronics features time-stretched harmonies manipulated in real time and played back through spatialised loudspeakers in between the piano variations, bringing together Baroque and contemporary sound worlds. This radical reimagining of Bach’s vision juxtaposes the variations in a new strictly symmetrical structure which reflects the binary form of the original aria (a microcosm within a macrocosm with binary divisions commonly found in digital systems). Gold.Berg.Werk transcends itself and becomes a new piece in its own right, creating a sense of space and grandeur through electronic distribution of the interludes. This magical performance invites and entices the audience to join us on a journey of discovery, opening and blossoming into a whole new universe of sound.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I note: "A Reduced Listening production for BBC Radio 3 "
        No comment
        Just wait until the hordes of avid, young, new listeners stream to R3, then you'll be sorry!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Just wait until the hordes of avid, young, new listeners stream to R3, then you'll be sorry!
          Sad and possibly a bit surprised, though not looking at the longer term; but I had been thinking of "Reduced Listening" on a purely personal basis

We creep towards Radio Marginalising Classical Music.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I'd missed that (and most Afternoon Concerts). I managed 5 minutes - not sure it's radical enough, just plain creepy.

I'm guessing it will be more like this CD? Which you can hear here. (More info here)
            There was more alt Bach this afternoon as well, same combo/concert. All very easy listening (although I could have done without the clapping but I understand why it happened) but I did find myself wondering what the point was.
            The blurb you quoted does nothing to entice me to listen!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

One assumes you are being ironic.
              It isn’t always easy to be certain, where the written word is concerned.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                One assumes you are being ironic.
                It isn’t always easy to be certain, where the written word is concerned.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Sad and possibly a bit surprised, though not looking at the longer term; but I had been thinking of "Reduced Listening" on a purely personal basis
                  We creep towards Radio Marginalising Classical Music.
                  Yes, "Reduced Listening" nicely sums it up. TTN & EMS are now my mainstays, with some COTW & Lunchtime concerts.

Frazer would say "We're doomed, doomed I tell you". R3 becoming CFM with fewer adverts, or worse.
                  I say fewer, but while sampling the Big Band Bach (courtesy of oddoneout) there was a "Classical Fix" trailer ~20mins in to Afternoon Concert - why, oh why? It was clearly aimed at non Classical / yoof listeners.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio

01:01 Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach; Concerto for flute and strings in D minor (H.426) (1747?); Robert Aitken (flute), CBC Vancouver Orchestra, Mario Bernardi (conductor)
                    01:23 Kaiser Leopold I; Tres Lectiones (1676); Tragicomedia, Stephen Stubbs (conductor), Concerto Palatino, Bruce Dickey (conductor)
                    01:46 Franz Liszt; Fantasia and fugue on the theme BACH S.529 for piano; Jan Simandl (piano)
                    01:59 Peter Warlock; Serenade (to Frederick Delius on his 60th birthday); Manitoba Chamber Orchestra, Roy Goodman (conductor)
                    02:07 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Violin Sonata in C major, K 303; Tai Murray (violin), Shai Wosner (piano)
                    02:17 Hugo Alfven, Herman Satherberg (lyricist); Aftonen (The Evening); Swedish Radio Choir, Eric Ericson (conductor)
                    02:21 Engelbert Humperdinck; Dream Scene from "Hansel und Gretel"; Engelbert Humperdinck (piano)
                    02:29 Claude Champagne; Danse Villageoise; Orchestre du Conservatoire de Musique du Quebec, Jacques Lacombe (conductor)
                    02:34 Amilcare Ponchielli; Capriccio for oboe and piano, Op 80; Wan-Soo Mok (oboe), Hyun-Soo Chi (piano)
                    02:45 Jules Massenet; Manon Act 1: Manon and Des Grieux recit and duet; Lyne Fortin (soprano), Richard Margison (tenor), Orchestre Symphonique de Quebec, Simon Streatfield (conductor)
                    02:52 Stanislaw Moniuszko; The Commander-in-Chief's Lover (overture); Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra Katowice, Bogdan Oledzki (conductor)

Champagne & Moniuszko are new to me.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

R3 becoming CFM with fewer adverts, or worse
                      The awkward thing is I don't think that argument convinces any longer. Breakfast, Essential Classics, This Classical Life et al are what BBC management calls 'distinctive' in that they can itemise all the ways in which the programmes differ from CFM, while ignoring the ways in which they are similar (crucially, in being aimed at people who don't want to be listening to classical music attentively for any length of time i.e. more than nine and a half minutes at a stretch).

On the other hand, the late evening programmes are completely unlike anything on CFM. They are even less likely to appeal to people who want 'to listen to classical music attentively for any length of time)'. Less and less (Reduced Listening) is aimed at people who already know (and are principally interested in) core classical music, and more and more they have to navigate the schedules between the programmes they like and the ones they can't stand (and which aren't aimed at them anyway). Or give up on 'live listening' altogether which many have.

I suppose the BBC thinking is that it doesn't matter if a largely older generation pushes off to listen to foreign internet stations as long as they can concentrate on younger listeners while keeping some classical pieces mixed in with the rest. Even if only 10% of output were classical, R3 would remain the BBC's 'flagship classical station'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, "Reduced Listening" nicely sums it up. TTN & EMS are now my mainstays, with some COTW & Lunchtime concerts.

Frazer would say "We're doomed, doomed I tell you". R3 becoming CFM with fewer adverts, or worse.
                        I say fewer, but while sampling the Big Band Bach (courtesy of oddoneout) there was a "Classical Fix" trailer ~20mins in to Afternoon Concert - why, oh why? It was clearly aimed at non Classical / yoof listeners.
                        I listen to Radio Three as much as I ever have over the last 60 years, probably a lot more, being retired and at home during the day. I rarely listen during the night when I am usually asleep. I don't believe I am undiscerning or have a short attention span. Over the decades there have always been programmes which I am less keen on and do not expect my preferences to coincide with everyone else's. I am a song lover and am constantly grateful for lunchtime recitals.

No comparison for me between R3 and CFM which I cannot stomach for more than five minutes.

Crudely stereotyping terms such as "yoof listeners" are deeply unappealing to me and inimical to my way of thinking.

Despite shortcomings I do not subscribe to the "doom" theory and believe Radio 3 needs to be cherished and defended in the face of the philistine onslaught.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          I listen to Radio Three as much as I ever have over the last 60 years, probably a lot more, being retired and at home during the day. I rarely listen during the night when I am usually asleep. I don't believe I am undiscerning or have a short attention span. Over the decades there have always been programmes which I am less keen on and do not expect my preferences to coincide with everyone else's. I am a song lover and am constantly grateful for lunchtime recitals.

No comparison for me between R3 and CFM which I cannot stomach for more than five minutes.

Crudely stereotyping terms such as "yoof listeners" are deeply unappealing to me and inimical to my way of thinking.

Despite shortcomings I do not subscribe to the "doom" theory and believe Radio 3 needs to be cherished and defended in the face of the philistine onslaught.
                          Whilst I would willing turn the clock back to the days of full works on R3 I agree that there are good points to R3 and Essential Classics for all its faults is better than daytime CFM (8.00 - 10.00pm) is sometimes worth a listen. Breakfast and ES have frequently introduced me to works and recordings new to me and Sunday Morning is usually a good listen - afternoons remain messy. Nin-classical music across BBC continues in its dire way and curiously R3 has become a relative haven!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I don't believe I am undiscerning or have a short attention span. Over the decades there have always been programmes which I am less keen on and do not expect my preferences to coincide with everyone else's. I am a song lover and am constantly grateful for lunchtime recitals.
                            Opinions on some programmes may differ, but this is simply a matter of differing tastes, isn't it? To say that some programmes don't demand sustained attentive listening is not to say that those who listen to such programmes are not capable of sustained attentive listening. Merely that at some times of the day some people prefer something different.

Other people, on the other hand do like CFM and have no interest in R3. If you aren't casting aspersions at CFM listeners, no more are those who 'can't stomach' much of R3 casting aspersions at those who can.

Whether one resorts to snappy shorthand or not, factually the BBC and Radio 3 are making efforts to attract younger listeners, especially those who have hitherto had no interest in classical music. My argument would be that I don't think they're doing much to attract a younger audience to classical music.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Apologies for upsetting you, gurnemanz - perhaps I spoke too harshly.

The "Classical Fix" trailer I mentioned was a shock because it came so early in the Afternoon concert (20 mins in) and it was a program aimed at (non-Classical) musical youngsters, i.e. "introducing music-loving guests to classical music". (I'm not retired, but they're still young to me.)
                              It's also not the first time I've heard these wretched trailers and it usually produces lots of cursing, (as do ones for other stations.)

Most of my listening is done via off-air recordings, e.g. TTN while I'm working.
                              Very happy to agree about the Lunchtime recitals - they're usually excellent.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

AC used to be one of the advert-free zones but no longer, in its "new improved" muddled state.

Comment

Working...
                                X