Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Merry Christmas. Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1847777

01:01 Carl Maria von Weber; Clarinet Quintet in B flat major, Op 34; Joze Kotar (clarinet), Slovenian Philharmonic String Quartet
    01:26 Dimitar Nenov; Christmas - symphonic poem for soloists, mixed choir & orchestra; Valeria Popova (soprano), Alexander Krunev (baritone), Bulgarian National Radio Chorus, Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Milen Nachev (conductor)
    02:00 Henryk Wieniawski; Polonaise No.1 in D major (Op.4); Reka Szilvay (violin), Naoko Ichihashi (piano)
    02:06 Grazyna Bacewicz; Scherzo for Piano; WDR Symphony Orchestra, Krzysztof Urbanski (conductor)
    02:10 Johannes Brahms; 6 Quartets for soprano, alto, tenor, bass and piano, Op 112; Danish National Radio Choir, Bengt Forsberg (piano), Stefan Parkman (conductor)
    02:22 Arcangelo Corelli; Concerto grosso in G minor, Op 6 No 8, 'per la notte di Natale'; Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Roy Goodman (conductor)
    02:37 Fryderyk Chopin; Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise brillante (Op.22); Julia Kociuban (piano)
    02:52 Alexander Borodin; In the steppes of central Asia (V sredney Azii) - symphonic poem; Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, Uri Mayer (conductor)
    Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ber%202021.pdf

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Could have done with some of that. Woke up, realised I wasn't going to get back to sleep so went downstairs, assumed I had missed dumbtime but no... Had to wait another 30 mins. Never mind, it may have taken a bit longer but I was eventually able to get back to bed and another couple of hours sleep.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Happy New Year.
        Here's what we missed today - available to our European friends via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1848881

01:01 Jean Sibelius; Violin Concerto in D minor, Op 47; Judy Kang (violin), Orchestre Symphonique de Laval, Jean-Francois Rivest (conductor)
        01:36 Johann Sebastian Bach; Aus der Tiefen rufe ich, Herr, zu dir, BWV131 (Cantata); Roberta Invernizzi (soprano), Sonia Prina (contralto), Krystian Adam (tenor), Christopher Purves (bass), Wroclaw Philharmonic Chorus, Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini (conductor)
        02:00 John B Escosa; Three Dances for 2 harps; Julia Shaw (harp), Nora Bumanis (harp)
        02:07 Ralph Vaughan Williams; Norfolk Rhapsody no 1 in E minor; Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Bernard Heinze (conductor)
        02:18 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Sonata in B flat major K.570 for piano; Kristian Bezuidenhout (fortepiano)
        02:36 Barbara Strozzi; "Begl'occhi, bel seno" Costumo de grandi for soprano, 2 violins and continuo; Susanne Ryden (soprano), Musica Fiorita, Daniela Dolci (director)
        02:41 Mikhail Glinka, Vissarion Shebalin; Symphony on two Russian themes; Bratislava Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ondrej Lenard (conductor)
        02:55 Dmitry Shostakovich; Waltz no 2 from Suite for jazz band no 2 (1938); Eolina Quartet
        Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ary%202022.pdf

Enjoying the Sibelius & looking forward to the Bach.
        Of the remaining 4 hours on TTN, the name of Santa Ratniece intrigued me, but, sadly, not her "Glow for violin, clarinet and piano".

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Aus der Tiefen rufe ich, Herr, zu dir,
          Unfortunately the message didn't get through so we were expected to go along with
          Inspiring soundtracks to fill you with courage
          Music to make you feel like an action hero
          "Action hero" - at 2am. Really?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Aus der Tiefen rufe ich, Herr, zu dir,
            Unfortunately the message didn't get through so we were expected to go along with
            Re: Psalm 130 / BWV 131.
            Alan Davey as "Lord" makes me cringe - has he sneaked in to the NY hons for services to music ?

Shall we carry on this conversation in the Student Room?
            Baby Queen chooses an action-packed playlist to turn you into an action star, featuring tracks from Outer Worlds, Mass Effect 3 and League of Legends.
            Join the Gameplay community at The Student Room to share stories about your favourite gaming soundtracks. Search The Student Room x Gameplay to be part of the conversation.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Potential programme audience? Count me out

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Potential programme audience? Count me out

That image is so last century!

How about this for modern gamers?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

How about this for modern gamers?
                  No lo conozco
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

No lo conozco
                    Ni moi non plus.

Have to admit I let the games console rubbish with its hyped up announcer lull me to eventual sleep, last night. But really, though; how can anybody at Radio 3 think this sort of material worthy of broadcast... on any wavelength?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Ni moi non plus.
                      I think Lord Gould might be able to help out there.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I think Lord Gould might be able to help out there.
                        The face looks like that of the "honourable member" for Romford and Entrails.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Ni moi non plus.

Have to admit I let the games console rubbish with its hyped up announcer lull me to eventual sleep, last night. But really, though; how can anybody at Radio 3 think this sort of material worthy of broadcast... on any wavelength?
                          I've listened to the "Sound of Gaming" programmes that have been broadcast and found them of interest (the first series far more so than the second - better presenter IMO), more so than Sound of Cinema since a description of the story the music is accompanying works better for gaming than for the missing screenplay I find, but this level of coverage is really not on. Yet again it's there though because TTN, and R3 in general, is a soft target for lazy dumping of the "miscellaneous music related" dross that needs an airing to enable it to end up on Sounds - so they say. R3 may have a vocal and opinionated audience perhaps, but it's small enough to ignore as it wouldn't gather wider public opinion and support, unlike other stations.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

The face looks like that of the "honourable member" for Romford and Entrails.
                            More the honourable lord for Stockton & Cowpen Bewley!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

because TTN, and R3 in general, is a soft target for lazy dumping of the "miscellaneous music related" dross that needs an airing to enable it to end up on Sounds - so they say.
                              I can only think that the intended strategy of the scattergun approach to content is that the wider the range of content the wider the reach (=size of audience). If you put a programme of chamber music or symphony concerts on at 11pm you won't increase reach at all because the audience likely to be attracted is already listening to R3. If you put on a programme of unclassified 6Music-type music, you might pull over a few extra 6 Music listeners and extend the reach (=size of audience, as aforementioned). Radio 3, I suppose, was deemed to have a narrow 'reach', so the strategy is to extend the age group &c, and add diversity in any way management can think of, including video game music for the youngsters. All about the bottom line = listening figures

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I can only think that the intended strategy of the scattergun approach to content is that the wider the range of content the wider the reach (=size of audience). If you put a programme of chamber music or symphony concerts on at 11pm you won't increase reach at all because the audience likely to be attracted is already listening to R3. If you put on a programme of unclassified 6Music-type music, you might pull over a few extra 6 Music listeners and extend the reach (=size of audience, as aforementioned). Radio 3, I suppose, was deemed to have a narrow 'reach', so the strategy is to extend the age group &c, and add diversity in any way management can think of, including video game music for the youngsters. All about the bottom line = listening figures
                                I realise that's what they're playing at but for me it just adds dishonesty to the list of undesirable actions, since those listeners are not a R3 audience. They are people listening to a programme (or more likely a part of) they've found by accident or through searching for a genre, but not at the time nor on the platform on which it is broadcast; if it wasn't put on the likes of Sounds they wouldn't hear it at all, and they certainly won't go to R3 looking for more, or to find out what else is on offer. That's no more being a R3 audience member than me seeing a couple of minutes of a drama series on Gogglebox counting as an audience member for that drama.

Comment

Working...
                                X