Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Depends on who’s in charge of the Quays!
    If jarring changes of Quay between pieces were avoided that would be a plus.
    (Since I don't listen, I don't know if that's a valid criticism of Tearjerker, to be fair!)

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      If jarring changes of Quay between pieces were avoided that would be a plus.
      (Since I don't listen, I don't know if that's a valid criticism of Tearjerker, to be fair!)
      Be careful, informed opinion is frowned on these days you know.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

I wasn't concentrating as I skimmed over the very small print of the local rag's radio listings just now and thought that R3 had had yet another bit of tinkering foisted on it, but a closer look revealed that it was R1. However looking at the online schedules did provoke a "spot the difference" thought.
        Radio 1's Classic Essential Mix
        Radio 1's Wind Down
        Radio 1's Chillout Anthems

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          I wasn't concentrating as I skimmed over the very small print of the local rag's radio listings just now and thought that R3 had had yet another bit of tinkering foisted on it, but a closer look revealed that it was R1. However looking at the online schedules did provoke a "spot the difference" thought.
          Radio 1's Wind Down
          I noticed we started getting our Earworms as a Breakfast segment when 6 Music had Sean Keaveny's Earworms. Works on the basis that if something is popular on one station it'll be popular on R3. (I notice John Peel did 'Tearjerkers' back in 1980; and Essential Classics was/is the name of Sony's Early Learning classical label.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Radio 1's Wind Down
            Don’t be deceived it is not Classical!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Don’t be deceived it is not Classical!
              No I know but it's not so far away from Essential Classics either in terminology nor, some would say in content - 100 best toons.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

No I know but it's not so far away from Essential Classics either in terminology nor, some would say in content - 100 best toons.
                The Radio 1 Classic Essential mix is probably nearest to the Classical I like the very least - yes more minimal than most!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Clearly the name of this thread should be changed. Tearjerker is no more, being replaced by Piano Flow and Happy Harmonies.

(I'm not joking.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Clearly the name of this thread should be changed. Tearjerker is no more, being replaced by Piano Flow and Happy Harmonies.

(I'm not joking.)
                    There is an argument for retaining it, since there has been an element of nominative determinism in the title, given the reactions of forum members.

Perhaps the addition of "quotation marks" would be sufficient.

However, I suspect that members' ingenuity will be likely to be expressed in suggetions for alternative names....

Comment

• muzzer
                      • Nov 2013

It sounds like the name of a Massive Attack record. And that is the best thing to be said for it.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

(I'm not joking.)
                        How about 'No longer through the night'?

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Although the specific programme may be no more, the management think which foisted it on R3 is still very much in action, so as far as I'm concerned it makes sense to keep the original title, as kernelb says. We are still close enough to the original insult for most to know to what it refers.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Although the specific programme may be no more, the management think which foisted it on R3 is still very much in action, so as far as I'm concerned it makes sense to keep the original title, as kernelb says. We are still close enough to the original insult for most to know to what it refers.
                            Ah, but Appy Armonies 'as Istory. I wonder whose leg was being pulled in thinking that one up - or was it just another 'Essential Classics' - the old ones are the best ones when you aren't very good at thinking up new programme titles? NB Even I don't remember Happy Harmonies.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Ah, but Appy Armonies 'as Istory. I wonder whose leg was being pulled in thinking that one up - or was it just another 'Essential Classics' - the old ones are the best ones when you aren't very good at thinking up new programme titles? NB Even I don't remember Happy Harmonies.
                              Anyone on these boards who does is probably over 90!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Anyone on these boards who does is probably over 90!
                                Might have been repeated during the 40s and 50s

Comment

Working...
                                X