Tearjerker, Downtown Symphony, Piano Flow, Happy Harmonies and other Saturday padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's the current balance that seems so wrong: so many programmes made up of short pieces. Another thought I remember when CFM started and Robin Ray said it wouldn't be competition for Radio 3, though CFM listeners would gradually progress to Radio 3. Few did - they preferred CFM. That ought to be a lesson for managers who think the 'gateway' listeners will gradually start listening to the afternoon and evening concerts and become a 'knowledgeable audience'.
    ... indeed so. I see I wrote back in 2017 -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I remember attending the launch party of Classic FM's move into producing CDs. I found myself standing next to the Music Critic of (of all things) The Reader's Digest. In idle conversation I mooted that praps doing an isolated movement - taking the over-used example of the Mahler 5 adagietto - might tempt an otherwise unsure audience into trying the whole thing : I instanced my brother, not a classical music follower, but who I knew did like 'some bits'. He replied with the weary voice of experience - no, what people want after the Adagietto is not the rest of the symphony - they want 'more of the same' Which might mean the Barber, that Albinoni, the b****y Gorecki, &c.

I retired, saddened but unsurprized...

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ...no, what people want after the Adagietto is not the rest of the symphony - they want 'more of the same' Which might mean the Barber, that Albinoni, the b****y Gorecki, &c.
      Hmm, that reminds me of the stupid game on Essential Classics (that's now become the 'playlist') where they played a movement from a symphony or other work and listeners had to say what should follow - but you weren't allowed to suggest the following movement of said symphony or other work.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
        Hmm, that reminds me of the stupid game on Essential Classics (that's now become the 'playlist') where they played a movement from a symphony or other work and listeners had to say what should follow - but you weren't allowed to suggest the following movement of said symphony or other work.
        That's right. Suzy Klein specifically said (in her most aggressive voice) the next movement was "the wrong answer". I have little or no respect for people with such restrictive and domineering behaviour.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          That's right. Suzy Klein specifically said (in her most aggressive voice) the next movement was "the wrong answer". I have little or no respect for people with such restrictive and domineering behaviour.
          She knows what side her bread is buttered.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

I wonder what all the new listeners she’s reached felt about that...?

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              She once assured me, on air, that the inspiration for Carl Nielsen's Helios Overture was Denmark's long summer nights, despite the fact that the Carl Nielsen Society had been kind enough to confirm my belief that it resulted from his stay in Athens, where his wife was working on an academic project. I'm afraid that, as far as I'm concerned, the only sure means of avoiding being irritated by SK is the 'off' switch. Strangely, she ignored my suggestion, on one of those rare occasions when I took the trouble to suggest a 'follow-on' piece, that the best work to move on to from Bach's 'Wachet auf' was 'Wake Up Little Suzy'.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

I'm preparing to celebrate - the dire "Tearjerker" is no more and the end of "Downtime Symphony" is in sight.
                BUT, their replacements will be the seductively titled "Piano Flow" & "Happy Harmonies", and neither will bring back the missing Through the Night segments!

How can Alan Davey justify his lavish salary by allowing drivel like this?

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                  I'm preparing to celebrate - the dire "Tearjerker" is no more and the end of "Downtime Symphony" is in sight.
                  BUT, their replacements will be the seductively titled "Piano Flow" & "Happy Harmonies", and neither will bring back the missing Through the Night segments!

A mix of music to take you into the morning.
                  it says for both at the moment. Erm, what was wrong with the TTN version of that? Not mixed enough presumably.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

...their replacements will be the seductively titled "Piano Flow" & "Happy Harmonies"....
                    For the avoidance of doubt, the website adds

Similar programmes
                    By genre:

Music

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                      • Jul 2011

Happy Harmonies sounds only a step away from Merrie Melodies, the Warner Bros cartoon series. This listener's response: "So long, folks!"

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                        Happy Harmonies sounds only a step away from Merrie Melodies, the Warner Bros cartoon series. This listener's response: "So long, folks!"
                        More like ‘Loony Tunes’.

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          .. I'm afraid that, as far as I'm concerned, the only sure means of avoiding being irritated by SK is the 'off' switch.
                          That's exactly what happens in this household!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                            Host
                            • Jun 2018

Alan Davey is trying to justify changes (Ian Skelly...) and Tearjearker on Feedback as I type.
                            Waffle, waffle, waffle... we really have connected with audiences... waffle, wafflle, dribble, dribble... 42 hours... waffle, waffle... Lord Reith... dribble, dribble...
                            Would the best change for R3 be AD leaving?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                              • Mar 2007

he gave the only reason was that the 'music' could only be used on Sounds if it had been broadcast first - as usual R3 was the victim for removal of 'unlistened to time'
                              seems totally unbelievable to me but then given what is happening to R3 there seems utter madness at the top.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

... and we should be grateful that it was only 2 hours out of 42!

He'd already given that feeble excuse in an earlier e-mail reply.

Comment

Working...
                                X