Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Why do they have to speak as though there's a baby next door that mustn't be woken?

And what drove the producers to produce the strange noise that persists between tracks, underneath the presenter's voice - usually based on some chord from the last piece of music?

There seems to be an assumption that younger listeners are incapable of paying attention to the spoken word unless music is played simultaneoulsy and contiuously...!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Eliza Carthy on tonight @ 10.45

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Eliza Carthy on tonight @ 10.45
        Thanks DracoM, also to be found here:
        From her home in Robin Hood’s Bay in North Yorkshire, Eliza Carthy shares a timely song.

interviewed by Verity S....who now has 2 niche programmes on the go. The other:
        How are the world’s musicians, sound artists and poets responding to the loss of species?

Comment

• Kingus
          • Feb 2021

I discovered night tracks at the beginning of the 1st lockdown through BBC sounds, I drive a lorry for a living and was seen as a key worker, so l was out on the eerie deserted roads early mornings and this show was the perfect soundtrack I love the way Sarah and hannah present it ,I've always been a listener of ambient and kind of desolate music and have been introduced to classical music that I would never normally have heard , night tracks is essential listening for me now the best thing on radio, although I wish there were more 30minutes mixes available as well

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kingus View Post
            I discovered night tracks at the beginning of the 1st lockdown through BBC sounds, I drive a lorry for a living and was seen as a key worker, so l was out on the eerie deserted roads early mornings and this show was the perfect soundtrack I love the way Sarah and hannah present it ,I've always been a listener of ambient and kind of desolate music and have been introduced to classical music that I would never normally have heard , night tracks is essential listening for me now the best thing on radio, although I wish there were more 30minutes mixes available as well
            I very much enjoy it too .......

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              I very much enjoy it too .......
              # Moi aussi

Though I usually fall asleep...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                # Moi aussi

Just as well you’re not behind the wheel of Kingus’ truck!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  # Moi aussi

Must see if I can remove that white background from the yawn emoji. It's a constant reproach , especially when it appears in a quote.

That's better :-)
                  Last edited by french frank; 19-02-21, 17:24.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Kingus View Post
                    Hey Kingus....(King of the Road )...

Sounds like a great setting for nocturnal ambience.... I always loved late night listening on the down-low, from dark, drifting ambience to string quartets, but always at home now of course...
                    Which classical pieces have you encountered this way? I'm fascinated by all the ways we might come to know music... and where it can lead...

Comment

• Kernow Malc
                      • Oct 2018

If I hear "don't forget you can get full details of tonight's tracks on the BBC website or " remember you can listen again on BBC Sounds" one more time I will scream. Well actually no - because I've stopped listening.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kernow Malc View Post
                        If I hear "don't forget you can get full details of tonight's tracks on the BBC website or " remember you can listen again on BBC Sounds" one more time I will scream. Well actually no - because I've stopped listening.
                        Night Tracks combines everything about Radio 3 that I find 'unlistenable'. 'An adventurous and immersive soundtrack', my eye! A bone-shaking 90-minute lurch along a rocky, unmade road. Intended only as an On Demand background to daytime listening - and exploding the myth that the short pieces on Breakfast are because people don't have time to listen to anything longer: so here we have Night Tracks 11pm to 12.30am and still only a sequence of 5-minute pieces. Putting the cat out, loading the dishwasher, making the hot chocolate, setting things up for the hasty breakfast tomorrow morning …
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Night Tracks combines everything about Radio 3 that I find 'unlistenable'. 'An adventurous and immersive soundtrack', my eye! A bone-shaking 90-minute lurch along a rocky, unmade road. Intended only as an On Demand background to daytime listening - and exploding the myth that the short pieces on Breakfast are because people don't have time to listen to anything longer: so here we have Night Tracks 11pm to 12.30am and still only a sequence of 5-minute pieces. Putting the cat out, loading the dishwasher, making the hot chocolate, setting things up for the hasty breakfast tomorrow morning …
                          Not your cup of tea, then? I cannot really concur, but only because I have never litened to, nor even knowingly overheard, the programme. Indeed, a quick look at a listing reminds me why I have never bothered to seek it out. Hmm.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Trite knacks, then.......

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Trite knacks, then.......

Bryn, I listened to it only once. Since then I've just gone by the playlists. I feel there is a Cunning Plan behind it. Unfortunately, getting downloads and On Demand requests 'justify' it taking up 90 minutes of live radio time. I could not believe it was the same SM-P who used to present Hear & Now occasionally.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Rousing stuff above but for me a somewhat OTT critique of Night Tracks. I tend not to be embarking on extended listening which must have a "context" at 11.23 pm when about to go to sleep or do some bedtime reading. We usually retire for the night after Newsnight and if I do switch on my bedside radio and the programme is on, I might listen but rarely for more than a couple minutes before switching off or over. They often have things which are not to my taste but I am not averse to giving a chance to a random item which I might not otherwise come across; like Autolycus I quite enjoy being "a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles" as well as taking on Parsifal. Short items (ie all songs) obviously aren't per se trite and unworthy of our ears. I checked the latest playlist which I didn't listen to, but none of it seemed to be something I would reject out of hand and I note it finished with the profound and beautiful and appropriately valedictory Schubert song "Litanei auf das Fest Aller Seelen." - three and a half minutes of a piano and a voice. FD/Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X