X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Night Tracks

I have listened to the first two editions of this and I have to report that my impressions are even worse than I anticipated. Can Sara Mohr-Pietsch really be happy about having to whisper with a background of unidentifiable "music"? As for the presentation style and choice of music, do SMP and her producers think that we are all in bed with the snooze button on our radio alarm clocks? Sorry, but I want something meatier and presented in a more intelligent manner. What do other forum members think?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

It's only music, so why not just talk over it and get listeners to switch off and go to sleep instead.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Bring Back Verity Sharp and LJ, IMO!

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
        What do other forum members think?
        It's OK with me, and more than I expected, given the pretty awful reworking of Radio 3 that has been going on.

At least I have been saved from Elizabeth Alker, and the tripe she dishes out!

Comment

• Kernow Malc
          • Oct 2018

I have enjoyed the mix of music that I have heard on the programme - but I find the introductions rather mannered - the 'talking to trendy new listeners' voice. Why can't presenters be natural?
          For my money Late Junction was being ruined by disc jockey presenters with clear dj music agendas - so sadly, I'm not missing it. It was great when it was just Verity and Fiona.

Comment

• peterthekeys
            • Aug 2014

I haven't tried it yet - having heard the trailers, and things like "immersive" and "new way of listening to music", I didn't think I could bear it: I don't want my blood pressure going through the roof just before trying to get to sleep.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Perhaps R3’s new motto should be “If at first you don’t succeed, keep repeating your failed policies.”

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                • Aug 2014

I have to say I rather enjoy it - it's certainly a huge improvement on the screech that Late Junction had become. This episode, from a few nights ago, was wonderful:

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                  I have to say I rather enjoy it - it's certainly a huge improvement on the screech that Late Junction had become. This episode, from a few nights ago, was wonderful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0008w2l
                  That playlist represents cultural mystification in the form of a sequence of pieces removed from context and presented like aural wallpaper.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                    It's OK with me, and more than I expected, given the pretty awful reworking of Radio 3 that has been going on.

At least I have been saved from Elizabeth Alker, and the tripe she dishes out!
                    Yes, I am enjoying this programme.

Just to clarify my comments about Unclassified/ Alker, my main issue about this programme is that the music played can be found routinely on other stations, but Elizabeth presents it as though it were a break-through in Music's "cutting edge".

Generally, Radio 3 seems to have a problem with presenters rather than music broadcast (but I like SMP).

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      That playlist represents cultural mystification in the form of a sequence of pieces removed from context and presented like aural wallpaper.
                      That's a great sentence serial_apologist! I sorrowfully admit that that is what Radio 3 is most often for me these days now that I only rarely consider context or dig out a score and follow a symphony or a quartet as it is being broadcast - although having written that I have now remembered an almost forgotten pleasure and must resurrect it soon. Thinks to self: 'What's the opera tonight?' Glances behind her at the opera scores. An excuse to break the family tradition of Saturday night takeaway and Britain's Got Talent? It's only the magicians and acrobats I ever like anyway ...

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

i.e. another bloomin' mixtape.
                        Money saver?

Comment

• Kernow Malc
                          • Oct 2018

With mixtapes the mixer becomes more important than the music. DJ culture?

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Exactly.

Comment

• Study Session
                              • Oct 2014

A check of last Monday's running order reveals nineteen items in a ninety minute programme.

We are told that Breakfast isn't the time for extended pieces, they can't be aired during midmornings as Radio 3's trying to poach R4 punters. Then more bits and pieces are served up from 5-7.30, including the mixtape nonsense - and recently we've been told that Sunday Morning is 'the busiest time of the week' for some listeners, who again get more random chunks of music.

What's the excuse this time?

Comment

Working...
                              X