X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Driving up from London last night I was unfortunate enough to come across this programme . A desperate name attempting to be trendy and a number of completely unconnected pieces jarring against each other.

If there was an episode of W1A about Radio 3 this is just the sort of thing Siobhan and Perfect Curve would have come up with !
    They would have us believe that thought and care goes into 'curating ' this.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      They would have us believe that thought and care goes into 'curating ' this.
      I am very reliably informed, actually by somebody who works on them, that they do take a lot of time and effort, and thus money.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I am very reliably informed, actually by somebody who works on them, that they do take a lot of time and effort, and thus money.
        As Ian Dury sang ‘What a waste’!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I only listen when I happen to be in the car at 7-ish. But I'm swimming against the tide here. I don't find it offensive, and surely it's better than CFM (viz being told how beautiful/relaxing everything is)?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            As Ian Dury sang ‘What a waste’!
            He didn't often look down on himself...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              I don't find it offensive, and surely it's better than CFM (viz being told how beautiful/relaxing everything is)?
              Suzy Klein does this on a daily basis.

Usually with a condescending smirk.

I actually prefer CFM for much of the time. The adverts are better than most of R3's idle chat.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I don't find it offensive, and surely it's better than CFM (viz being told how beautiful/relaxing everything is)?
                It depends what you mean by 'offensive'. I can't stand a mish mash of musical styles, short bursts following closely after each other, with or without presenter input. In fact I think those moments of mediocrity you get in between would give a bit of relief from the effects of being aurally duffed up. No, I don't find suddenly hearing a bit of well-known Mozart following immediately after Piazzolla makes me hear the Mozart with new ears. Or vice versa.

But if you can tolerate that, there's no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it It's unapologetically for young people who are used to 'mixtapes'; though my suspicion is that the chosen pieces, if not all 'sounding the same', do at least come from within a narrower field that Radio 3's menu.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I can't stand a mish mash of musical styles, short bursts following closely after each other, with or without presenter input.
                  Possibly in my case it harks back to days as music students, huddled round a one-bar fire, when we would try to identify Your Hundred Best Tunes having rapidly turned the volume down on Alan Keith as he announced the pieces.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Possibly in my case it harks back to days as music students, huddled round a one-bar fire, when we would try to identify Your Hundred Best Tunes having rapidly turned the volume down on Alan Keith as he announced the pieces.
                    Your Hundred Best Tunes was Radio 2's contribution to getting a bigger audience for classical music. It was popular, and since Radio 2 has (and had) a big audience it was effective.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Your Hundred Best Tunes was Radio 2's contribution to getting a bigger audience for classical music. It was popular, and since Radio 2 has (and had) a big audience it was effective.
                      Last night some jazz piano preceded a piece of what seemed to be Renaissance music then was followed by E lucevan e stelle then a horrible arrangement of Wagner for brass band and the finale of Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings .

I suspect someone just puts their iPad on shuffle for half an hour .

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Last night some jazz piano preceded a piece of what seemed to be Renaissance music then was followed by E lucevan e stelle then a horrible arrangement of Wagner for brass band and the finale of Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings .

I suspect someone just puts their iPad on shuffle for half an hour .
                        Aint it bizarre? Personally, I enjoy the disparity and variety of the items, and it is one of the programmes I listen to regularly. If there is a common thread between the pieces, I didn't detect it. But they were all musical items that might be heard in one or more of the other R3 programmes, that is within the R3 spectrum of music. The current view of the Radio 3 Controller is to encourage switching at will between various genres.

As regards the specific items, I found the Monteverdi the most intriguing - it seemed quite modern at times. Could have done with more Puccini at the expense of the Wagner arrangement, which was not my cup of tea.

Anyhow, I have a technique for music I simply cannot bear. I switch the radio off for a period of time sufficiently long for the offending item to have gone away.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Anyhow, I have a technique for music I simply cannot bear. I switch the radio off for a period of time sufficiently long for the offending item to have gone away.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Earlier in this thread I said I would make an effort to listen, but on reflection, I don't think I shall. Admittedly, I do go further than switching off 'sufficiently long for the offending item to have gone away' since I would be switching ON. To do that specially for something so hideously not to my taste would be deranged.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Earlier in this thread I said I would make an effort to listen, but on reflection, I don't think I shall. Admittedly, I do go further than switching off 'sufficiently long for the offending item to have gone away' since I would be switching ON. To do that specially for something so hideously not to my taste would be deranged.
                              As a general rule, I don't listen to Radio 3 unless the music has been programmed an published IN ADVANCE. That way, I neither waste time nor get annoyed by the trivia.

The problem is, they like to keep it all a BIG SECRET.

Comment

• nersner
                                • Dec 2010

I like it. I find it similar to Words and Music but without a theme. Listening without knowing in advance has led to me finding lots of new music. If I know what is playing I already have an opinion on it. The lack of presenters is a huge bonus.

Comment

Working...
                                X