• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    There is some:

WORLD

In October, World on 3 returns to WOMEX, the World Music Expo highlighting the newest musical talent, this year held in Katowice, Poland.
    In November, World on 3 will broadcast a concert recording from the Darbar Festival profiling leading performers of Indian classical music, and in January will return to Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow. Taking place over eighteen days from the 19 January to 5 February 2018, presenters Lopa Kothari and Kathryn Tickell will present live sessions with some of the festival’s top artists from the BBC Music Hub.

BBC Introducing on World on 3
    A special collaboration between BBC Radio 3 and BBC Introducing was launched in January 2015 to help discover and champion emerging roots-based talent around the UK, which sees BBC Introducing artists record special live sessions for World on 3.
    BBC Introducing artist, Kora player Sefo Kanuteh, will be recording his first live session on World on 3 this Autumn. Born and raised in Gambia, Kanuteh has previously collaborated with celebrated Senegalese singer Baaba Maal, and fellow Kora-player Ami Koite. In addition to the Kora, Kanuteh regularly experiments with a range of instruments to create unique sounds including the recorder, harp and guitar.

JAZZ

This Autumn, Radio 3 will mark the centenaries of the births of three jazz greats: Dizzie Gillespie, Buddy Rich and Thelonius Monk.
    In November, as part of the EFG London Jazz Festival, Max Reinhardt will host a special live edition of Radio 3’s experimental music programme, Late Junction, from the stage of East London’s popular arts venue, Rich Mix. The BBC Concert Orchestra will present a family concert featuring the premiere of a specially-commissioned work by saxophonist and composer Trish Clowes.
    Further programming to be announced shortly.
    Ah, thank you, french frank. The Kanuteh session especially looks quite interesting, given the Baaba Maal links. As someone who is supposed to know a fair amount about world music there are a couple of areas which tend to mystify me. One is what happens to the young world musicians of the year once their moment of glory has passed? We rarely seem to hear from them. And another is Womex which has been taking place for many years. The phrase that springs into my mind is "is it some sort of trade fair?" and then my mind goes blank.

I'd like to see more use of simulcast under a bright or heavy "R3-BBC4 TV" banner - Proms, Womad, Celtic Connections across the UK, London Jazz Festival and even plays and poetry. Also, how about having a Radio 3 Britannia season on BBC4 TV as we have had one on everything else - particularly the music areas? This would cover the history and present output. Yes - it would be a form of cross-platforming but not one in which people have to search the schedules of everywhere with a fine tooth comb. Rather, it would signpost R3's existence.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-09-17, 18:59.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      As someone who is supposed to know a fair amount about world music there are a couple of areas which tend to mystify me. One is what happens to the young world musicians of the year once their moment of glory has passed? We rarely seem to hear from them.
      The young jazz millenniumists do get some work from the beeb once their turn is over - viz. Trish Clowes, mentioned in ff's message above. But as to the YMotY, no idea, Lat, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The young jazz millenniumists do get some work from the beeb once their turn is over - viz. Trish Clowes, mentioned in ff's message above. But as to the YMotY, no idea, Lat, I'm afraid.
        Thanks S-A.

It could be me rather than them - not alert enough and often with too strong a preference for You Tube.

On the other hand..........!???

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

There is some:

WORLD

In October, World on 3 returns to WOMEX, the World Music Expo highlighting the newest musical talent, this year held in Katowice, Poland.
          In November, World on 3 will broadcast a concert recording from the Darbar Festival profiling leading performers of Indian classical music, and in January will return to Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow. Taking place over eighteen days from the 19 January to 5 February 2018, presenters Lopa Kothari and Kathryn Tickell will present live sessions with some of the festival’s top artists from the BBC Music Hub.

BBC Introducing on World on 3
          A special collaboration between BBC Radio 3 and BBC Introducing was launched in January 2015 to help discover and champion emerging roots-based talent around the UK, which sees BBC Introducing artists record special live sessions for World on 3.
          BBC Introducing artist, Kora player Sefo Kanuteh, will be recording his first live session on World on 3 this Autumn. Born and raised in Gambia, Kanuteh has previously collaborated with celebrated Senegalese singer Baaba Maal, and fellow Kora-player Ami Koite. In addition to the Kora, Kanuteh regularly experiments with a range of instruments to create unique sounds including the recorder, harp and guitar.

JAZZ

This Autumn, Radio 3 will mark the centenaries of the births of three jazz greats: Dizzie Gillespie, Buddy Rich and Thelonius Monk.
          In November, as part of the EFG London Jazz Festival, Max Reinhardt will host a special live edition of Radio 3’s experimental music programme, Late Junction, from the stage of East London’s popular arts venue, Rich Mix. The BBC Concert Orchestra will present a family concert featuring the premiere of a specially-commissioned work by saxophonist and composer Trish Clowes.
          Further programming to be announced shortly.
          The WM announcements could have been more simply put:

Y'know what we did last year? With Womex and an upcoming muso? Well we're doing it again this year

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            The WM announcements could have been more simply put:

Y'know what we did last year? With Womex and an upcoming muso? Well we're doing it again this year
            Better than announcing that we won't be doing any of these things this year? What would you like to have seen?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Better than announcing that we won't be doing any of these things this year? What would you like to have seen?
              Can I help answer that one?

Joe Boyd, Lucy Duran and Mark Coles would be a Beta double plus change at the very least. I would also like a permanent programme featuring all the past episodes of World Routes. The episodes could be edited so that they only took up half hour each week on a Sun night. I also think that Mary Ann Kennedy should alternate with Mark Radcliffe on Folk on 2. I haven't got a clear structure of it in my head yet but presenters on World on 3 would be on rotation as they generally are now but Late Junction would have individual presenters allocated to specific nights every week rather than being allocated entire weeks sporadically. Then we would know which nights of LJ suited us and not have whole weeks missed out.
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 03-09-17, 12:31.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Let's try and flesh this out a bit although it isn't easy. With an edited World Routes, the voice of Lucy Duran - and that of one Andy Kershaw - would be back on BBC R3. It's presumably cheap. The programmes are already in archive. It is accepted that Duran may have moved on to other things. However, her distinctive, academic style which I have to admit originally required some getting used to is very much treasured. I reckon she should at least crop up in a fifteen minute interview every month in regard to her current pursuits and new music.

Next, Joe Boyd is getting on a bit and may well not be interested. However, I think I would change one day of LJ - call it Thursday - into a programme with a new title. "Late Junction : "Dimensions"". Varied remit from week to week but he could do his thing in that slot monthly. Plenty of scope for different people and different approaches on the other weeks in the month there. Perhaps Luscombe with a focus on electronica on one week, Tickell on another doing folk with emphasis on heritage and one other. What? Well, one day a month there could be an in-depth look at individual traditional instruments. Presenter? Possibly someone from SOAS or even Resonance. To be pc, I'd say young male of ethnic background. This leaves the remaining days of LJ allocated to Fiona, Max and Verity respectively. Lopa would alternate on Wo3 with Mark Coles. That needs a male presenter as well as a female one.

Something along these lines so that it isn't quite as vague and yet pedestrian and to give the entire scope of it more vibrancy and depth.

At no additional cost!

And if there is resistance to a half hour of Sunday going back to WM, just slot it in on that Thur and make "Dimensions" 30 minutes less.

GT - would this manifesto get your vote?
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 03-09-17, 13:07.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  At no additional cost!
                  Well, for a start, more presenters mean more cost - or existing presenters get paid less, unless you're envisaging extending overall coverage for world music. And much of that isn't the kind of thing that would be announced in a press release, everything cut and dried in advance from now until Easter. The reason why programmes like Essential Classics are so cheap is that they stick to a formula with minimal chopping and changing each fortnight. Introducing content variety into individual programmes is for producers (and budgets).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

Anything that corales electronics into a programme I can avoid would get me to try listening to the others...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Well, for a start, more presenters mean more cost - or existing presenters get paid less, unless you're envisaging extending overall coverage for world music. And much of that isn't the kind of thing that would be announced in a press release, everything cut and dried in advance from now until Easter. The reason why programmes like Essential Classics are so cheap is that they stick to a formula with minimal chopping and changing each fortnight. Introducing content variety into individual programmes is for producers (and budgets).
                      Well, possibly, although setting aside the idea of a half hour on Sunday the hours would be exactly the same and with at least 30 minutes of those simply from the vaults.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

I'll be sorry to lose the alternating James Jolly/Jonathan Swain on Sunday mornings, too. I thought they put together well thought out programmes with good variety and intelligent interludes.

Another excellent Sunday morning show today .... let's hope yer Walker can maintain the standard .... The Roy Harris Violin Concerto next week if Suffolkcoastal is about .....

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Rather sad, Captain Oates like, ending by James Jolly today ......

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

He's not the only one. James is an excellent presenter and I hope he will be found a new berth . He is also exceedingly polite and responded almost instantly to an email query I sent him recently.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                              He's not the only one. James is an excellent presenter and I hope he will be found a new berth . He is also exceedingly polite and responded almost instantly to an email query I sent him recently.
                              ...and Jonathan Swain? Are we to lose him in the same way as we lost Stephen Johnson (other than Through the Night)?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                                ...and Jonathan Swain? Are we to lose him in the same way as we lost Stephen Johnson (other than Through the Night)?
                                The continuity announcer indicated JS would be back at 9.00 next Sunday. Of James , ominously , no mention. I haven't been following the Radio Three changes - other forumites may have more information.

Comment

Working...
                                X