X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "Sounds" is, I think, right - Balls will tell an audience of "Classical Music" listeners that he loves "Classical Music", appear on Strictly to show that mass audience that he's a regular guy - he'll gladly have a pint down the pub with you, Bbm, and the next night address a Temperance Society meeting on the evils of drink. He might keep very quiet about his threats, whilst "Children, Schools, and Families" Secretary, to take legal action against teachers who didn't do as he told them to do: that's the real measure of the man, and one for which I would be more likely to pour a pint over his head than drink one with him.
    I might opine that this would be a waste of a pint were it not for the fact that my loathing of beer in all its forms suggests otherwise.

I'd no idea that he'd ever addressed a Temperance Society meeting on the evils of drink (but then I've never seen him participating in a rehearsal of Beethoven's Op. 127 either); had he done so, this would have surely sat most uncomfortably with responsibility for the tax revenues that would have been lost under his Chancellorship as a consequence of encouraging this kind of temperance had he ever attained such office...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      He'll not be relying on your vote anytime soon then, ferney.
      He'll not be relying on anyone's anytime soon; he's no longer an MP!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        He'll not be relying on anyone's anytime soon; he's no longer an MP!
        Who said for MP!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          D'you have evidence for all that Ferney...?
          Well - the Temperance Society bit was conjecture (as, for that matter, was the having a pint with Bbm) - but the threats of legal action against Teachers is documented:

Headteachers are facing a showdown with the Government after it emerged legal action is being considered to prevent a boycott of next month’s Sats tests.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Well - the Temperance Society bit was conjecture (as, for that matter, was the having a pint with Bbm) - but the threats of legal action against Teachers is documented:

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news...-after-3932380
            Thanks - I'd forfotten his role in that.

He never made much of an impression on me when on the opposition front bench. He's a respected economist, I understand, and teaches at Harvard or one of the other Ivy League Colleges. I warmed to him in his performances on Strictly Come Dancing* - although others thought it was appalling 'Dad dancing'. I particuarly enjoyed his Gangnam Style.

* Not that I watched this - I tracked it down on Youube .

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

He never made much of an impression on me when on the opposition front bench. He's a respected economist, I understand, and teaches at Harvard or one of the other Ivy League Colleges. I warmed to him in his performances on Strictly Come Dancing* - although others thought it was appalling 'Dad dancing'. I particuarly enjoyed his Gangnam Style.

* Not that I watched this - I tracked it down on Youube .
              How he or anyone else dances is of less than no interest to me.

I've never heard him play the violin, ether on his own or in the Financial Times String Quartet, so must and indeed will refrain from comment thereon...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

He's a respected economist, I understand, and teaches at Harvard or one of the other Ivy League Colleges.
                Clearly, unbeknownst to his loyal supporters, this man is a dangerous Marxist.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Clearly, unbeknownst to his loyal supporters, this man is a dangerous Marxist.
                  Unbeknownst to himself as well, I have little doubt...

Does Yvette others for their Marxist tendencies, might you suppose?

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

Is there anything this man can't do? I think we should be told.....

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

...the threats of legal action against Teachers is documented.
                      It's hard to forgive the way he sacked Saron Shoesmith at a live TV press conference:

The ex-director of Haringey’s children's services spent years trying to survive a media onslaught. She's spent the past four trying to understand it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        It's hard to forgive the way he sacked Saron Shoesmith at a live TV press conference:
                        http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2016/...-climate-fear/
                        Yes - at the risk of turning this into a "Political" thread (inevitable, I suppose) this is typical of the "do anything for public approval" I detect/suspect in the man.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Yes - at the risk of turning this into a "Political" thread (inevitable, I suppose) this is typical of the "do anything for public approval" I detect/suspect in the man.
                          I'm not so sure; it could as easily be "do whatever I fell like from which I might derive enjoyment as long as it's legal"!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

"Sounds" is, I think, right - Balls will tell an audience of "Classical Music" listeners that he loves "Classical Music", appear on Strictly to show that mass audience that he's a regular guy - he'll gladly have a pint down the pub with you, Bbm, and the next night address a Temperance Society meeting on the evils of drink. He might keep very quiet about his threats, whilst "Children, Schools, and Families" Secretary, to take legal action against teachers who didn't do as he told them to do: that's the real measure of the man, and one for which I would be more likely to pour a pint over his head than drink one with him.
                            A man of many different hats on, but no centralisation, perhaps?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              A man of many different hats on, but no centralisation, perhaps?
                              A man of several hats, none of which fit too well, perhaps?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                I'm not so sure; it could as easily be "do whatever I fell like from which I might derive enjoyment as long as it's legal"!
                                Wasn't (at least part of) the problem in the Shoesmith case the fact that it wasn't legal?

Comment

Working...
                                X