X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Still no playlists? Do you think, doversoul1, that that is for the same reason?
    It means that if you like something and want to hear it again, then you're sort of stymied....erm....??
    Will playlists be available later maybe?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

To each his own:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        To each his own:

...or HER own...

You can please some of the people some of the time, &c...

That said, having half a day's worth of music with almost no verbiage to interrupt it does not have to be incompatible with having a playlist for it, does it?...

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

I listen a lot to this station - announcements between with works / musicians, and that's it.
          BUT
          they do have playlists, so you can listen virtually uninterrupted - I don't understand Finnish - or know what is coming if you wish, so if something catches the ear, the playlists are there.
          Best or about best of both worlds IMO.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            To each his own:

These are not contradictory statements. Suzanne is welcoming the removal of the sickly, indigent presentation, but Rosie is reiterating what I have been saying about a total lack of consideration for listeners who don't just sit next to a radio for 12 hours in the hope that during that time there might be something they would appreciate hearing.

In other words, tell us what is going to be played, but don't rabbit on about trivia.

I hope, I'm wrong, but we seem to have the worst of both worlds in the BBC's secretive planning.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              These are not contradictory statements. Suzanne is welcoming the removal of the sickly, indigent presentation, but Rosie is reiterating what I have been saying about a total lack of consideration for listeners who don't just sit next to a radio for 12 hours in the hope that during that time there might be something they would appreciate hearing.

In other words, tell us what is going to be played, but don't rabbit on about trivia.

I hope, I'm wrong, but we seem to have the worst of both worlds in the BBC's secretive planning.
              I couldn't agree more. What on earth is the point of this? Who comes up with ideas like this and what do they get paid? Here's another pointless idea: why not have a day of radio presenters presenting in the nude?

Comment

• Daniel
                • Jun 2012

I haven't paid much attention to this, but I must say I think it's healthy to be experimenting from time to time, things that don't, wither and die eventually (I consider/ed the Classic FM aping the opposite of experimenting). Personally I find listening to music blind, or not knowing what it is until later, circumvents some of the brain's assumptions and preconceptions and is revitalising, though I'd certainly want to be able to find out from a playlist at some point.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                why not have a day of radio presenters presenting in the nude?
                That was yesterday, but it was veiled in a shroud of pathetic secrecy.
                Last edited by Daniel; 29-10-16, 18:04.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I can understand that for many this is not something of interest or indeed seems pointless, but it is 12 hours broadcasting on one day. As has been said we have alternatives. We can give our feedback, if we think there's any point/wish to do so. I see no reason why R3 shouldn't try out such things, but I would become concerned if it was decided to do more and more 'other platform' information/programme content as that wouldn't work for me, or extrapolate from dubious evidence that there is a real demand for such extended gimmicks.
                  There is something to be said for having a sequence of music without a playlist - there used to be one such years ago that I found well worth making a point of listening to, and would like to see return. At least now it should be easier to find out what has been played and by whom if an item catches the fancy and is unknown.... I remember printing off lists of Christmas sequences for my mother when there was a seasonal version of this concept.
                  I see someone else has had similar thoughts - apologies for the duplication, but it went up while I was writing this...

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

<< I hope, I'm wrong, but we seem to have the worst of both worlds in the BBC's secretive planning.>>

Tut, tut, EA! Lese Majeste etc. This whole 'river' has been 'expertly curated' [sic]. I blush at your lack of trust in R3's judgement in these matters.

Ahem.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                      IPersonally I find listening to music blind, or not knowing what it is until later, circumvents some of the brain's assumptions and preconceptions and is revitalising.
                      Then you're very lucky, iimss, Daniel. I fall into the category of people who, when listening "blind" to something they haven't been exposed to before, find themselves comparing the music to what they are already familiar with. I do this all the time, particularly with 18th century music - ah, is this Haydn or Mozart? - for instance. My other "problem" consists in wanting to know something about the composer - when and in what circumstances did s/he write this piece of music, etc etc - since this always helps thicken the plot, so to speak.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

I couldn't agree more. What on earth is the point of this? Who comes up with ideas like this and what do they get paid? Here's another pointless idea: why not have a day of radio presenters presenting in the nude?
                        !!!

Trouble with your suggestion is that they'd almost certainly all expect higher pay for this.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          I can understand that for many this is not something of interest or indeed seems pointless, but it is 12 hours broadcasting on one day.
                          How do you know they won't judge the experiment a success and use it as a pretext to cut announcers as "surplus to requirements"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            !!!

Trouble with your suggestion is that they'd almost certainly all expect higher pay for this.
                            The BBC could argue for less pay on the grounds that presenters wouldn't be expected to "dress up" for the occasion.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

The BBC could argue for less pay on the grounds that presenters wouldn't be expected to "dress up" for the occasion.
                              Oh, I think that rather unfair, since the presenters wouldn't otherwise have "dressed up" for the occasion (unless they dress up their respective scripts). In any case, one would probably hide behind a McCloud, one might risk exposing rather too much Skelley, one would show too much of her Pietsch skin tone and another would probably be the fastest Walker out of Brodacasting House if expected to do that - so I personally wouldn't Derham to do so.

However, if that particular day were to be transferred from Radio 3 to BBC1...

Ahem...

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                Oh, I think that rather unfair, since the presenters wouldn't otherwise have "dressed up" for the occasion (unless they dress up their respective scripts). In any case, one would probably hide behind a McCloud, one might risk exposing rather too much Skelley, one would show too much of her Pietsch skin tone and another would probably be the fastest Walker out of Brodacasting House if expected to do that - so I personally wouldn't Derham to do so.

However, if that particular day were to be transferred from Radio 3 to BBC1...

Ahem...
                                Too much information ah.

I am happy to imagine that for the earlier years of the River of Music at least the Team will be arrayed in proper Third Programme formal wear.

As for the event itself, I'll be happy to tune in from time to time as is my Sunday wont, and if it grabs me at any point I'll linger a while. But I warn all concerned, I don't get up early. No Breakfasteer am I. Nor a twitterer nor any othererer. The Music better be good! Happy listening,

Comment

Working...
                                X