• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

River of Music: 12 hrs Non-stop Music: Sunday 30 October

Not sure if this is the right place. If not, please Host, move to wherever suitable.

The halfway point of BBC Radio 3's 70th anniversary celebrations is marked by a unique event in the history of the station: a non-stop river of music that will flow for an uninterrupted 12 hours. […]

It promises to be a fascinating voyage of discovery […]

Each of the pieces played during the day is connected to a particular year and a historical, political or cultural happening that had a musical resonance at the time. […]

The hosts are Essential Classics' Sarah Walker and Rob Cowan […]
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080xq5d

Any thought?

What dose the host of non-stop music programme do? Will there be the play list in advance? If not, I certainly won’t be jumping in the river.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Does anyone give a dam?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      What dose the host of non-stop music programme do?
      I presume there will be announcements explaining the carefully constructed 'flow'. It won't be the first time there has been a 12-hour session (remember the New Year's "World Music Day", which lasted three or four years? As for playlists, I would guess that it's 'not that kind of listening' and that it's intended to be an extended panoply to illustrate the history of the Third/R3. If not a detailed playlist, giving the main section timings would make it more tune-innable-to. Not sure about the same two presenters for the entire time (reward for Ess Class's last RAJAR figures?), especially if there's constant dialogue between the music.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Does anyone give a dam?

We'll just beaver on.

I agree with ds. We need a playlist. Otherwise it will be a river of Breakfast/ES.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I presume there will be announcements explaining the carefully constructed 'flow'. It won't be the first time there has been a 12-hour session (remember the New Year's "World Music Day", which lasted three or four years? As for playlists, I would guess that it's 'not that kind of listening' and that it's intended to be an extended panoply to illustrate the history of the Third/R3. If not a detailed playlist, giving the main section timings would make it more tune-innable-to. Not sure about the same two presenters for the entire time (reward for Ess Class's last RAJAR figures?), especially if there's constant dialogue between the music.
          Oh, I see. One-12 hour programme of related (in some way) music. I thought it was going to be a non-stop stream of music.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Cowan / Walker are on the bridge?
            Erm......if it's 12 hrs uninterrupted flow, why do we need presenters at all?
            Don't get that.

Offhand can't think of a worse pairing: he with his useless pronunciation and non-stop record industry cliches, and she gushing over-breathing.

Blimey.

Finnish Classical for me: http://yle.fi/radio/yleklassinen/suora/

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... the commentary is on-line :

"The hosts are Essential Classics' Sarah Walker and Rob Cowan, who throughout the day provide an entirely online commentary on the pieces that make up the River of Music. "

So no voice-overs, or other oral presentation - perhaps...

I see the event is not only "unique" but also "expertly curated".

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

So either pretty tough or a deep blessing on listeners without computer linkages?

'I see the event is "expertly curated" ' .
                Got their before me.............

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                  Oh, I see. One-12 hour programme of related (in some way) music. I thought it was going to be a non-stop stream of music.
                  You quoted: "Each of the pieces played during the day is connected to a particular year and a historical, political or cultural happening that had a musical resonance at the time."

If it's an unending stream of music, without announcements, isn't that exactly what many people have asked for (though not me)? 'Curated' has now become a commonplace and indicates that someone was in charge, or got to do the choosing.

"to select items from among a large number of possibilities for other people to consume and enjoy; applied to many areas including music, design, fashion, and especially digital media"

And, btw, if "This brand new way of presenting a music programme on BBC Radio 3 sees images, videos, social media posts and live blog updates posted throughout the day. Listeners can get involved by following the liveblog on bbc.co.uk/radio3, engaging with Radio 3 on Facebook and Twitter and contacting Rob and Sarah by text and email" takes all listener interaction OFF AIR, that will be an improvement.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Curated' has now become a commonplace and indicates that someone was in charge, or got to do the choosing.
                    I know.

But doesn't the fact that they themselves claim that it is "expertly curated" grate a little? It is the self-puffery that is so tiresome.

What does 'expertly' mean here? That it was done by people who knew what they were doing? We should expect no less. That it was done excellently? Let us the listeners decide on that - it is not for the curators to brag.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

BBC does not believe in less is more.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        I know.

But doesn't the fact that they themselves claim that it is "expertly curated" not grate a little? It is the self-puffery that is so tiresome.

What does 'expertly' mean here? That it was done by people who knew what they were doing? We should expect no less. That it was done excellently? Let us the listeners decide on that - it is not for the curators to brag.
                        Don't diisagree with that. It's like "trusted guide" - who trusts them and why?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Does anyone give a dam?

They think weir in for a treat.

If it doesn't work well though, the station will have been delta serious blow.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

They think weir in for a treat.

If it doesn't work well though, the station will have been delta serious blow.
                            We shall brook no failure.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

And, btw, if "This brand new way of presenting a music programme on BBC Radio 3 sees images, videos, social media posts and live blog updates posted throughout the day. Listeners can get involved by following the liveblog on bbc.co.uk/radio3, engaging with Radio 3 on Facebook and Twitter and contacting Rob and Sarah by text and email" takes all listener interaction OFF AIR, that will be an improvement.
                              That does sound good.

They could even create a messageboard for discussion of Radio 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X