X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulie55
    • Jan 2012

Rienzi missing introduction

This morning, Sarah Walker introduced a performance of Wagner's "Rienzi" Overture, which completely missed out the opening slow introduction.
    I doubt this was the recording so why on earth didn't she explain that we wouldn't hear the opening? It's worse than Classic FM!!
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

I think the opening is a separate track on some recordings,maybe the Jansons is an example.
    Still unforgivable.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Such things were not unheard of in the old days. Mention of Rienzi takes me back to a Radio 3 morning circa 1972 when Victor Hallam announced (as per Radio Times) that we would now hear the Rienzi Overture by Wagner - but played the Tannhäuser Overture by mistake. He'd just put the stylus on side 1 instead of side 2 I think (VPO/Solti recording) and was most apologetic.

I remember Tom Crowe once put the stylus down on an LP and accidentally sent it sliding across the record. He uttered a most un-Radio 3 like expletive which made the papers next day.

Happy days!
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Curiosity driving me to check out if the intro is separately banded, I have discovered that not only is the introduction missing, but the rest of my Renzi recording is missing. Shouldn’t be too difficult to find among a randomly-filed collection of 6k (which is a helluva lot less than quite a few people in here!).

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I remember Tom Crowe once put the stylus down on an LP and accidentally sent it sliding across the record. He uttered a most un-Radio 3 like expletive which made the papers next day.

Happy days!
          Happy days indeed, Petrushka, and your post has led me to read again the Telegraph's obituary of Tom Crowe. It doesn't mention the incident to which you refer, but does recall one or two others, equally delightful.

Tom Crowe, who died on December 6 aged 88, was in his day one of the most distinctive and best-loved voices on Radio 3; he made his mark in the 1970s, in particular as the announcer, three times a month, on the early Monday morning slot, where his air of carefully controlled muddle and civilised puzzlement endeared him to listeners.

Comment

Working...
          X