X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Sep 2024

Trails - it gets worse

Andrew's trail for Mike Leigh's Private Passions has surely broken all records. I'm now determined not to hear the programme (I often tune in for part or all). I'm fed up with being hectored by Mr Leigh on the subject of G&S. What might be a passing remark in the context of the programme has become a major irritant. Talk about counter-productive. (I thought I'd just try out the "yawn" smiley )
  • Anna

To be honest, I never notice the trails much as I never notice the adverts on the rare occasions I watch commercial tv. I think I have an inbuilt something which just blanks them out, although I accept some people find them irritating. You could try pressing the 'Mute' button?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      You could try pressing the 'Mute' button?
      Do radios have mute buttons now (I think I'm being serious)? How do you know when to turn the sound on again?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Do radios have mute buttons now (I think I'm being serious)? How do you know when to turn the sound on again?
        Well, how do you know when to turn the sound on? Probably the length of time it takes to boiil the kettle? I have mute buttons on various remotes.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Ah, so there's only a remote possibility of muting the trails, eh?

[Coat already off peg.]

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            R3 has become generally unlistenable for any extended period without judicious use of the mute button - eg to avoid inane comments, ingratiating 'come on' voices (or for one 'presenter' both) + now the oft repeat advert - the latter is somewhat easy to judge as typically about 55 sec and slight misjudgement doesn't cause too much loss.
            It's usually the amplifier/tuner that has a mute (otherwise just switch channels or input to silence

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Orders being taken now

The mute for our kitchen tv is worn out ...

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                R3 has become generally unlistenable for any extended period without judicious use of the mute button - eg to avoid inane comments, ingratiating 'come on' voices (or for one 'presenter' both) + now the oft repeat advert - the latter is somewhat easy to judge as typically about 55 sec and slight misjudgement doesn't cause too much loss.
                It's usually the amplifier/tuner that has a mute (otherwise just switch channels or input to silence
                I think the very worst of these merry little tete-a-tetes has to be between Ms.Dereham and Mr.Rafferty. The excrutiating sycophantic tweeness and barely controlled girly twittering of both of them, coupled with the close-miked glutinous delivery of Ms.Dereham always threatens to make my lunch re-appear. Strangely, this "trail" has exactly the opposite effect for which it is intended - if in reach of the radio I switch off. And only come back to it at 6.30.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I find it all as irritating as the next person, but do bear in mind the ever-decreasing amount of information for radio programmes in Radio Times and other listings magazines. At least we don't have the crass continuity announcers of the ITV channels (yet).

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                    ..I think the very worst of these merry little tete-a-tetes has to be between Ms.Dereham and Mr.Rafferty. .
                    one is a founder member of my mute swans club, the other is vice-president - the combination is too awful to contemplate

Comment

• Word
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                      the combination is too awful to contemplate
                      Best that you don't try then .

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                        I think the very worst of these merry little tete-a-tetes has to be between Ms.Dereham and Mr.Rafferty. The excrutiating sycophantic tweeness and barely controlled girly twittering of both of them, coupled with the close-miked glutinous delivery of Ms.Dereham always threatens to make my lunch re-appear. Strangely, this "trail" has exactly the opposite effect for which it is intended - if in reach of the radio I switch off. And only come back to it at 6.30.
                        The thought of Suzy Walker-Pietsch*
                        Is quite enough to make some reach
                        Not just for their remotes, it seems;
                        A chat-free 3? Ha! in your dreams!
                        (anon, 2011)

* See the Classical Collection thread for the origin of the invention of this composite 3-presenter which can sadly not be credited to the present writer...

Comment

• Sparafucile

Hi,
                          I had to switch off this morning when I heard the Cbeebies trial, sorry trail.....no, I was right the first time, it was a trial, for Horrible Histories, not so much for the content, which was irritating enough, but for the awful, simpering, giggly, inane wittering of Sarah Walker! I really can't bear that woman's voice and manner.

It's getting to be thoroughly unbearable!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

As a part of the BBC's ongoing obsession with blending the stations, PM on Radio 4 this evening went classical.

First, a feature on the reconstruction of the original slow movement of Beethoven's String Quartet in G, Opus 18 Number 2. Secondly, a few seconds of the piece. And thirdly, a trailer for Tosca on Radio 3 which quoted critics to play to popular appeal.

Quote - "This Tosca was tasty and then some".

I nearly threw up.

According to Google, the words are those of Edward Seckerson. Odd. He looks about 50 years too old for the language of a trendy public school tuck shop.

(PS My sincere apologies to anyone who prefers "Firstly". I was taught that it should be "First, secondly, thirdly" etc).

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              I find it all as irritating as the next person, but do bear in mind the ever-decreasing amount of information for radio programmes in Radio Times and other listings magazines. At least we don't have the crass continuity announcers of the ITV channels (yet).
                              I agree, Eine Alpensinfonie. Without the occasional outbursts of waffle between the presenters I would often have no idea what was scheduled. I seem to remember plugs for later programmes being given by the likes of John Holmstrom and Cormac Rigby. Or there was that frightfully stiff starchy lady who always sounded as if she disapproved of everything about the radio (what was her name?) who would say things like "Right! Well! I suppose I should inform listeners that tonight at seven thirty there will be a relay from the Royal Opera House of the Opera written by Benjamin Britten namely Peter Grimes to be conducted by Colin Davis."

Comment

Working...
                              X