X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

But if they're going to post photos, what the presenters look like is completely irrelevant. This is radio.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I once had to hire a tuxedo and black bow for a session of Words & Music, with Martin Handley on Radio Bristol. That was around 1990, long after Alvar Liddell and others were expected to dress up for reading the news!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

That's Penny Gore, not Georgia Mann.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          But if they're going to post photos, what the presenters look like is completely irrelevant. This is radio.
          Showing the pictures of presenters isn't a good idea. With one or two exceptions most of them have good faces for radio anyway!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            That's Penny Gore, not Georgia Mann.
            So they even got the wrong picture.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I once had to hire a tuxedo and black bow for a session of Words & Music, with Martin Handley on Radio Bristol. That was around 1990, long after Alvar Liddell and others were expected to dress up for reading the news!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

And I'd say they used to get a professional (albeit in-house) photographer to take the photos. Someone had this idea a few years ago of always placing the subject right over to one side and filling up the big gap would be a sort of batik-style wallpaper or a hedge.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
                  • Nov 2013

I don’t think that’s a photo of Georgia Mann, for what it’s worth.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                    I don’t think that’s a photo of Georgia Mann, for what it’s worth.
                    I think ferney would agree with you
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Georgia Mann

Penny Gore

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

A slightly prosaic point. After all these years, and having a lot now to conclude from, I have decided that the best broadcasters are the ones who either really convey the idea of wanting to get out and experience what is on offer or else make you feel extremely happy to just be in your home. Both are personal skills - and not without editorial and productional direction.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          You are right the BBC are obsessed with presenters. Presenters are clearly more important than the composers and performers of the music it plays.
                          I've said it before (so I'll say it again): I'll bet that the folk who are working on the website, who choose the text and photo(s) from what's been supplied by programme makers, are doing their work right across BBC output. The person who puts a picture of (say) John Shea against TTN is is simply doing her/his job as efficiently as possible and may never have listened to R3 (or watched Match of the Day, or Newsnight or heard of Eddie Mair, or listened to R4 Extra....).

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

Georgia Mann

Penny Gore
                            I’m obliged, thank you.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I've said it before (so I'll say it again): I'll bet that the folk who are working on the website, who choose the text and photo(s) from what's been supplied by programme makers, are doing their work right across BBC output. The person who puts a picture of (say) John Shea against TTN is is simply doing her/his job as efficiently as possible and may never have listened to R3 (or watched Match of the Day, or Newsnight or heard of Eddie Mair, or listened to R4 Extra....).
                              So that's all right then!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                Probably how they recruit Radio 3 presenters, then?

Comment

Working...
                                X