I thought that was Johnny Cash!
      I wouldn't bet on it...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I never knew you Quentin for it!"
        I remember an elderly landlord of mine looking at his newspaper, very puzzled, and saying, 'What is a crisp oncer' - the last word pronounced to rhyme as with bonce/nonce/ponce with an 'r' on the end.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I remember an elderly landlord of mine looking at his newspaper, very puzzled, and saying, 'What is a crisp oncer' - the last word pronounced to rhyme as with bonce/nonce/ponce with an 'r' on the end.
          I'm not a Landlord, but, being "elderly" I confess that I have wondered whether I should be worried about what this "Crisp Oncer" is that you're claiming from me.

I decided that you were, in fact, claiming it from S_A.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I'm not a Landlord, but, being "elderly" I confess that I have wondered whether I should be worried about what this "Crisp Oncer" is that you're claiming from me.

I decided that you were, in fact, claiming it from S_A.
            'In 1969 he began The World of Michael Watts, a consumer column laced with social comment and humour. This concluded with the Great Corny Joke Contest, offering a cash prize of a "Crisp Oncer" - at £1 "the meanest prize in Fleet Street",[5] and one which became relatively meaner as the years passed. In the 1980s, as the pound coin was replacing the pound note, Watts bought several hundreds of the latter from a bank so that the Crisp Oncer prize could continue." '

There's only one Oncer, so you'll both just have to fight over it.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I wouldn't bet on it...
              Responsibly, one piece at time!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Third Programme/Radio 3 announcers - 1950s to early 1970s - with audio clips:

This post concentrates on the Radio 3 continuity team of the late 1970s, simply because I have some small clips of audio from that period...

Difficult to say exactly why several of these work well - I think it is the hint of a y sound in much of the enunciation.

We are probably also in the realm of slight warmth in the formal distance rather than a harder and colder edged "I'm your pal".

Comment

• Hitch
                  • Nov 2010

No need to worry. The Beeb has thought deeply on the matter...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hitch View Post

Harry Enfield caught that tone of voice perfectly!

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Those Forumistas who (gasp) have problems (gasp) with Petroc's (gasp) presentation don't presumably derive much pleasure (GASP) from listening (GASP) to Elizabeth (GASP) Alker, who unfortunately also gives the impression of wanting to get to the end of every sentence in record time.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Surely this is either directed or learnt behaviour?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

One consequence of rapid speech is often that the enunciation of the words is lost, and so meaning too: rather a crucial fault in radio presentation. But I agree with Alps, in the sense that this has become the norm among generations younger than mine, and so, I guess, learned behaviour.

I do find that Radio 3 presentation works better for me if the voice has some timbre, and thus some authority. Lightweight voices just don't do it for me. Intonation is important, too, as it's not a 'water-cooler' chat with a colleague, but the imparting of lnformation important to the listener.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Whoever was presenting the Prom last night did a fairly gash job of finishing it.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              One consequence of rapid speech is often that the enunciation of the words is lost, and so meaning too: rather a crucial fault in radio presentation. But I agree with Alps, in the sense that this has become the norm among generations younger than mine, and so, I guess, learned behaviour.

I do find that Radio 3 presentation works better for me if the voice has some timbre, and thus some authority. Lightweight voices just don't do it for me. Intonation is important, too, as it's not a 'water-cooler' chat with a colleague, but the imparting of lnformation important to the listener.
                              AND - as SO often happens - the speaker does not drop their voice at the end of if the intro, word, sentence. Exaspera....
                              ...........sorry, didn't catch that?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

A witticism from R4 Now Show: 'the festival is now known as Glasto - because nbury is so hard to say'.

Comment

Working...
                                X