• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    One role of the presenter, rather than annoncer, is that of fulfilling the Reithian concept to education. A good presenter will do their own research on the history and technical issues, etc. associated with the music they are to introduce. Some do better at this than others, but the best prepare the uninitiated for what they are about to receive.
    Of course that's true. Though how much they can contribute depends also on the kind of programme they have to present.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Of course that's true. Though how much they can contribute depends also on the kind of programme they have to present.
      Hence the "One role" opener.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        I listened to this programme:

Katie Derham features the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Orchestre de la Suisse Romande.

I prefer Katie Derham on television.
        Yes, Katie never seems quite at home on R3. However her recent programme on Tango was a great improvement -something she really got to grips with:
        Katie focuses on the tango, with an interview with bandoneon player Julian Rowlands.

Comment

• researcher
          • Jun 2017

Hi Both,

In applying that part of the Reithian concept, as you say, some presenters do it better than others. Inane chatter, pointless 'competitions', and embarrassing interlocutions with 'guests' seem to me to get in the way of education.

Comment

• PaulT
            • Nov 2010

Paulie55 referred above to Elizabeth Alker (broadcasting on Sunday Breakfast) and described her voice as colourless and unsuited to radio. I think that was an extremely restrained observation. My wife refuses to have the radio on when she is broadcasting. Although I respect her music choices I do agree. Her pronunciation of foreign names is appalling. A five year old child could do better. As Groucho Marx would have observed: " Go out and find me a five year old child".

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
              Paulie55 referred above to Elizabeth Alker (broadcasting on Sunday Breakfast) and described her voice as colourless and unsuited to radio. I think that was an extremely restrained observation. My wife refuses to have the radio on when she is broadcasting. Although I respect her music choices I do agree. Her pronunciation of foreign names is appalling. A five year old child could do better. As Groucho Marx would have observed: " Go out and find me a five year old child".
              Seconded. At that time of my Sunday morning I have an invidious choice - if its her or that young chap then I either keep silence,put on my glasses and wrestle with a Google chromecast, - a religious service on Radio 4 isn't a tolerable option. Stop Martin Handley going on holiday - or pay Skelly handsomely to go up to Salford for weekend mornings. Absolutely no conviction, imparts no authoritative information, provides no reason to listen. The very reverse of the Martin Handley. If she needs a start, then there's hospital radio or her own You Tube channel I suggest.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

Georgia Mann on Breakfast this morning. Marvellous.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  Seconded. At that time of my Sunday morning I have an invidious choice - if its her or that young chap then I either keep silence,put on my glasses and wrestle with a Google chromecast, - a religious service on Radio 4 isn't a tolerable option. Stop Martin Handley going on holiday - or pay Skelly handsomely to go up to Salford for weekend mornings. Absolutely no conviction, imparts no authoritative information, provides no reason to listen. The very reverse of the Martin Handley. If she needs a start, then there's hospital radio or her own You Tube channel I suggest.
                  What's edge's broadcasting voice like - I'm sure with his taste in music, he could do the occasional weekend shift across the city!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    What's edge's broadcasting voice like - I'm sure with his taste in music, he could do the occasional weekend shift across the city!
                    Ah, good plan, but what if there has been a particularly lively game/dodgy ref on the saturday, and his voice is suffering? It can happen. Safest to stick with Saturday mornings for ER , I think.

Anyway, I ( very ) occasionally check the twitter feed for radio presenters, and if they are full of drivel, I tend not to listen to their broadcasts.

I'll leave the rest up to you......
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by researcher View Post
                      At the outset I confess to being new to this forum - only just discovered it. As a consequence, I apologize if this has been covered!

I do wonder what the point of presenters as opposed to announcers might be. I'm all for talk on R3, from time to time, in fact, I remember hugely informative and thought-provoking lectures from such as Prof. George Porter on thermodynamics, and, I think, Prof. Lawrence Bragg - and, naturally, a host of others. R3 was an education.

One turns to the music programmes for music, not chit-chat - the BBC has plenty of other channels for that sort of thing. Simply the piece, the composer, and the performers is that which is required.

Welcome, Researcher.
                      When I was managing the BBC Training Orchestra in Bristol, (ludicrously renamed "The Academy of the BBC" by
                      our Head of Music), I worked a lot with our station announcer, the late Douglas Vaughan (Described by Head of Programmes, BBC Radio as the finest voice on the BBC) I was always impressed by two things:

1. He always researched the items to be broadcast - to give an insight into the composers' life and works, and
                      2. Underlining those important parts of announcements which the listeners would wish to hear.

For Instance: " .... Music on three was played by the Bournemouth Symphony orchestra , leader Gerald Jarvis
                      The conductor was Simon Rattle and the soloist in the Haydn Piano concerto was Alfred Hadanuffsky.

That is what we should expect from any professional announcer - but ...

When Douglas was required to give the late night weather forecast, he refused to attempt to say "meteorological" and instead used to say " ... and now here is the weather forecast from the Met Office"

Well, we all have our Achillies Heels, don't we?
                      Last edited by Hornspieler; 20-06-17, 09:14. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by researcher View Post
                        One turns to the music programmes for music, not chit-chat - the BBC has plenty of other channels for that sort of thing. Simply the piece, the composer, and the performers is that which is required.
                        Couldn't agree less.

In general the music played on Radio 3 of whatever genre is so complex and subtle, that without a presenter explaining the whys, wherefores, and composer's intentions, that 90% of the music would float over listeners' heads. To inform and educate listeners on Classical music, R3 has presenters who are experts in their particular field, and can give some expert pointers.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Anyway, I ( very ) occasionally check the twitter feed for radio presenters, and if they are full of drivel, I tend not to listen to their broadcasts.

Funny that, isn't it? It's very seldom I look in on Twitter; and when I do my opinion of the tweeter frequently plummets …
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

But most of the time the R3 presenters most certainly do NOT explain shapes, means, but gush the 'warm' cliches.
                            Just listen to what Sarah Walker and Rob Cowan actually say to intro pieces - one gush after another.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              But most of the time the R3 presenters most certainly do NOT explain shapes, means, but gush the 'warm' cliches.
                              The problem for SW and RC is that they're battling with a format that was set up specifically to appeal to new listeners with very little knowledge of classical music. They are both (in my view) too knowledgeable to adapt usefully to that miserable level of expectation.

In terms of audience, Essential Classics is probably now the most 'popular' programme on Radio 3 - a temporary refuge for an audience that wants a bit of light entertainment - my opinion of the programme, not the presenters. Tone, style and content are at the same level.

I think it's a really serious mistake to keep it on for three hours every morning.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                                Late Member
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                                Couldn't agree less.

In general the music played on Radio 3 of whatever genre is so complex and subtle, that without a presenter explaining the whys, wherefores, and composer's intentions, that 90% of the music would float over listeners' heads. To inform and educate listeners on Classical music, R3 has presenters who are experts in their particular field, and can give some expert pointers.
                                Well that explains your Nom de Plume.

Who, What and Where is what the listener needs to know.

Anything else is sometimes informative but mostly (IMV), self indulgent.

HS

Comment

Working...
                                X