• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    The announcer at the start of today's Choral Evensong was barely literate. Can't the BBC find someone who can manage a sentence or two without stumbling?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0745k7k
    It's not as bad as some of the gibbering mentioned in these posts from back in January...

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... the 'Salford Weekends' seem to be run by a couple of escapees from hospital radio - Victoria Meakin and Tom McInney.

No, we really expect better of this channel
    Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Not sure, alas, that we do after something I happened to catch on Thursday afternoon.
    Unique performances with BBC Orchestras, Choirs and other great orchestras

- I think the worst dog's breakfast of an announcement I've ever heard.

Talk about hospital radio. Or had she been out at the pub during the opera and just rushed in to 'sight read' the announcement? My jaw dropped.

And then we segue'd into InTune with Sean Fafferty referring to Vaughan Williams's Serenade to Music and saying

"the text for the Serenade comes from Twelfth Night"....

(One of the guests later was Greg Doran who at least corrected him).

Good start for the BBC Shakespeare Season
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

In my view, continuity announcers are a species that need to be eliminated before they cause a recession in evolution. They are crass, embarrassing and utterly useless and unnecessary. The world would be a better place without them.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        In my view, continuity announcers are a species that need to be eliminated before they cause a recession in evolution. They are crass, embarrassing and utterly useless and unnecessary. The world would be a better place without them.
        Absolutely agreed!

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          Absolutely agreed!
          You mean, you agree with every word Tony?

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            David Cornet, Catriona Young, Vaughan Savidge, Jill Anderson, Ian Skelly, John Shea?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              David Cornet, Catriona Young, Vaughan Savidge, Jill Anderson, Ian Skelly, John Shea?
              I don't think Alpie meant the individuals charged with carrying out the job so much as the job itself?

I can't say I have any strong feelings about it. It seems to me a quite unexceptionable role. I'm bemused - perhaps I haven't been listening lately - oh … no I haven't
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                It's not as bad as some of the gibbering mentioned in these posts from back in January...
                Do you mean something like this?

Tuesday Afternoon on 3

Scroll forward 48 minutes, then listen for two minutes. A correction comes after the concerto.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

BBC CO: Easter at King's

This is almost worth listening just for Donald Macleod’s presentation.
                  Live from King's College, Cambridge, BBC Singers and CO conducted by Stephen Cleobury.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                    This is almost worth listening just for Donald Macleod’s presentation.
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0745cz8
                    It reminded me of the happy days when the presenters acted as the 'eyes' of the radio audience, as D McC explained how the performers were placed in the building for the performance and why. It used to be a feature of Proms broadcasts where the various activities and noises off would be heard and then explained, and gaps(notably piano movement episodes) would be filled by relevant talk(descriptions of the scene, poetry readings etc). Nowadays it seems to be de rigeur to talk(or sometimes almost shout) over what's happening in the hall about anything and everything regardless of relevance or necessity, and/or play bits of 'earlier I spoke to....'

Comment

• Paulie55
                      • Jan 2012

Announcers and Presenters

Petroc Trelawny is still dropping his voice at the end of every sentence, making him inaudible at the best of times. Radio 3 is the only BBC station where presenters' voices are inconsistent.
                      Rob Cowan nearly always seems to have cold or svere sinusitis and even he sometimes talks in an undertone. As for Elizabeth Alker, i'm sure she is a very nice person but her voice is colourless
                      and totally unsuited to radio. Why don't people take a leaf out of Radio 4's book? Every announcement is clear, crisp and most of all......audible!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

I listened to this programme:

Katie Derham features the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Orchestre de la Suisse Romande.

I prefer Katie Derham on television.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          I prefer Katie Derham on television.
                          I wonder if she would like to head in the direction of being a TV "personality presenter" - in the way Alan Titchmarsh branched out from gardening to write, and to present other programmes. I'm hoping that she succeeds, and finds the schedule of R3 presenting too onerous. Soon.

Comment

• researcher
                            • Jun 2017

At the outset I confess to being new to this forum - only just discovered it. As a consequence, I apologize if this has been covered!

I do wonder what the point of presenters as opposed to announcers might be. I'm all for talk on R3, from time to time, in fact, I remember hugely informative and thought-provoking lectures from such as Prof. George Porter on thermodynamics, and, I think, Prof. Lawrence Bragg - and, naturally, a host of others. R3 was an education.

One turns to the music programmes for music, not chit-chat - the BBC has plenty of other channels for that sort of thing. Simply the piece, the composer, and the performers is that which is required.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by researcher View Post
                              At the outset I confess to being new to this forum - only just discovered it. As a consequence, I apologize if this has been covered!

I do wonder what the point of presenters as opposed to announcers might be. I'm all for talk on R3, from time to time, in fact, I remember hugely informative and thought-provoking lectures from such as Prof. George Porter on thermodynamics, and, I think, Prof. Lawrence Bragg - and, naturally, a host of others. R3 was an education.

One turns to the music programmes for music, not chit-chat - the BBC has plenty of other channels for that sort of thing. Simply the piece, the composer, and the performers is that which is required.
                              One role of the presenter, rather than annoncer, is that of fulfilling the Reithian concept to education. A good presenter will do their own research on the history and technical issues, etc. associated with the music they are to introduce. Some do better at this than others, but the best prepare the uninitiated for what they are about to receive.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by researcher View Post

Welcome!

Glad you're here.

Comment

Working...
                                X