• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Got bored with the actual Prom after a while, but I thought Julie Fowlis made a pretty good job of onstage presenting (and performing) at the folk prom (watched it on BBC4 with the help of fast forward).

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Whoever was presenting the Prom last night did a fairly gash job of finishing it.
        If you're referring to the NYO Prom, the presenter was Tom Redmond.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

On-stage presenting? That's the way to treat amateurs. Perhaps they could cap it with a vote of thanks at the end.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I was only thinking of Clemmie at the Young Musician concert. It was odd, though - Julie's actual performances were introduced by her co-presenter, a bloke who appeared not to be wearing shoes or socks. And the Irish pipes player, Jarlath somebody, came on and told the audience in the RAH that they seemed a bit intense, cue nervous laughter. I think I'm allergic to banter.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I was only thinking of Clemmie at the Young Musician concert. It was odd, though - Julie's actual performances were introduced by her co-presenter, a bloke who appeared not to be wearing shoes or socks. And the Irish pipes player, Jarlath somebody, came on and told the audience in the RAH that they seemed a bit intense, cue nervous laughter. I think I'm allergic to banter.
              Stevens the butler had the same problem in 'The Remains Of The Day', I seem to recall.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

a bloke who appeared not to be wearing shoes or socks.
                that's the way that anarchy starts
                this needs to be stopped once and for all

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  that's the way that anarchy starts
                  this needs to be stopped once and for all
                  I wasn't thinking of propriety so much as dirt and splinters. The RAH stage must be pretty grubby. He probably wore shoes on the underground to get to the venue, but decided to take them off. He also reminded me of a hobbit - the waistcoat, probably.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    On-stage presenting? That's the way to treat amateurs. Perhaps they could cap it with a vote of thanks at the end.
                    ……..and a raffle in the interval, perhaps.

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

I wasn't thinking of propriety so much as dirt and splinters. The RAH stage must be pretty grubby. He probably wore shoes on the underground to get to the venue, but decided to take them off. He also reminded me of a hobbit - the waistcoat, probably.
                      This reminds me, in an off-topic sort of way, of the time Nigel Kennedy came to York to perform the Elgar concerto. Nige was wearing bright red socks. He gave a splendid performance of the concerto but all I could hear audience members talking about afterwards was...the bright red socks.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                        This reminds me, in an off-topic sort of way, of the time Nigel Kennedy came to York to perform the Elgar concerto. Nige was wearing bright red socks. He gave a splendid performance of the concerto but all I could hear audience members talking about afterwards was...the bright red socks.
                        Well ... if that was all he was wearing ....
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Ronnie Scott on phone to customer making a booking: "Table for four? certainly sir. Formal wear? No, formal wear isn't necessary in our club. Just a tie, sir - nothing else, just come in a tie".

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I've been trying to understand the BBC's thinking. I've failed miserably to comprehend their continuing obsession with a clique of presenters above all other things. Looking through today's online schedule, this is what we get:-

Through the Night - picture of the presenter: John Shea.

Breakfast - picture of the presenter: Petroc Trelawny

Essential Classics - picture of the presenter: Suzy Klein

Composer of the Week - picture of Rachmaninov. At last, something relevant to the music itself - a picture of the ... er ... composer of the week.

Lunchtime Concert - A picture of the interior of the venue. They've thought about that one.

Afternoon Concert - picture claiming to be of Georgia Mann. Oh, we've slipped back into this worship-our-presenters thing, even though it's a concert, like the previous programme.

In Tune - picture of Katie Derham AGAIN, even though the programme has featured artists, who would be doing most of the work. Priorities, BBC!

Radio 3 in Concert - picture of a view of the Sage, Gateshead across the Tyne. It has a kind of relevance, but a picture of a group of Northern Sinfonia players might have been even better.

Free Thinking - Picture of The Goodies. You see, you can do it, Radio 3.

Late Junction - An abstract picture. According to form, a picture of Nick Luscombe would have been the normal BBC effort. So again, the BBC can think occasionally.

Through the Night - naturally, when you've had an ungreat idea, you can repeat it with the same pointless image.
                              Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-09-18, 22:13.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

You are right the BBC are obsessed with presenters. Presenters are clearly more important than the composers and performers of the music it plays.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 25-09-18, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X