X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

In Concert 17th July: BPO/Petrenko

Lisa Batiashvili, was the sweet-toned soloist in Karol Szymanowski’s passionate, exotic Violin Concerto No 1 which successfully integrates influences from home and away, ranging from Bartok's finely-spun night music, through sudden rich brass textures reminding one of R. Strauss's tone poem to luscious climaxes familiar to lovers of Korngold's opera 'Die Tote Stadt'. The score features amongst my favourite 20th century Violin Concerti. (You may like to identify the others: Ba#2,Be, Sh#1 & St.)

The performance was splendid with excellently tuned, stratospheric lines from Lisa, a 'listening' orchestra supported by a sympathetic and accommodating conductor.

The Szymanowski was preceded by Brahms' Tragic overture in a rather routine performance.
    I was amused to learn that the Isle of Wight, a regular holiday location in my youth, provided the initial inspiration for the 'no holds barred' bedroom antics of Strauss's Sinfonia
    Domestica. It will take more than the BPO and its Chief Conductor to convince me that the work is a masterpiece.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

We heard Ms. Batiashvili lay the Szymanowski with the Philadelphia Orchestra under Yannick Nézet-Séguin a couple of years ago at the Edinburgh Festival. Absolutely outstanding performance.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      We heard Ms. Batiashvili lay the Szymanowski with the Philadelphia Orchestra under Yannick Nézet-Séguin a couple of years ago at the Edinburgh Festival. Absolutely outstanding performance.
      Yes, not to be missed, pastoralguy.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Ed: I did an 'ed' of the title of your post but was not able to say as a comment that it was me wot did it!

Didn't hear the concert but I can certainly shimmer with Szymanowski.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Ed: I did an 'ed' of the title of your post but was not able to say as a comment that it was me wot did it!

Didn't hear the concert but I can certainly shimmer with Szymanowski.
          Thanks, I noticed that BPO etc was lower case but could not figure how to edit titles.
          Is is facile?
          Shimmer - good adjective w.r.t. middle period Szymanowski.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Thanks, I noticed that BPO etc was lower case but could not figure how to edit titles.
            Is it facile?
            No: I've only recently been given the ability to do it on certain threads (as a Host).

Shimmer - good adjective w.r.t. middle period Szymanowski.
            I thought so too.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

The BPO’s playing was so seductive in the Richard Strauss that I almost managed half an hour of it but the Tour de France highlights (recorded earlier) was an easy winner. Lisa B was, I thought, pretty damned wonderful in the VC - and pretty wonderfully accompanied too.

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                The BPO’s playing was so seductive in the Richard Strauss that I almost managed half an hour of it but the Tour de France highlights (recorded earlier) was an easy winner. Lisa B was, I thought, pretty damned wonderful in the VC - and pretty wonderfully accompanied too.
                Yes: LB and Co, Wonderful, Wonderful
                I set a personal record lasting 20 minutes of Richard's home sitcom.

Comment

Working...
                X