X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

He also recorded the Gershwins' "But not for Me".

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

If any proof of R3 continuing transformation into an imitation of CFM is needed, then the music being played, especially in the now dominant playlist programmes. Nearly 45% of the Shostakovich played so far this year consists of what I call the CFM favourites, Jazz Suites, Festival Overture, PC No 2, The Gadfly and the odious Tahiti Trot. The rapid increase in the number of film scores from composers such as another CMF favourite John Barry. Half of Rodrigo being the Concierto de Aranjuez, around 30% of the RVW again from the CFM favourites, English Folk Song Suite, Lark, Tallis Fantasia & the Wasps. Other CFM favourites such as Farewell to Stromness & Walking the Dog, have increased markedly. I wonder how long it will be before Einaudi becomes regular on daytime playlist programmes or becomes COTW?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
        If any proof of R3 continuing transformation into an imitation of CFM is needed, then the music being played, especially in the now dominant playlist programmes. Nearly 45% of the Shostakovich played so far this year consists of what I call the CFM favourites, Jazz Suites, Festival Overture, PC No 2, The Gadfly and the odious Tahiti Trot. The rapid increase in the number of film scores from composers such as another CMF favourite John Barry. Half of Rodrigo being the Concierto de Aranjuez, around 30% of the RVW again from the CFM favourites, English Folk Song Suite, Lark, Tallis Fantasia & the Wasps. Other CFM favourites such as Farewell to Stromness & Walking the Dog, have increased markedly. I wonder how long it will be before Einaudi becomes regular on daytime playlist programmes or becomes COTW?
        Seconded we need a moratorium on all the above (Tallis excepted). I would add Candide, West Side Story Symphonic Dances , Rhapsody In Blue and Wedding at Trouldhagen

I hate that tinny percussion in Tahiti Trot …

Tea For Two should be left to Art Tatum

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

The number weddings at Trauldhagen are oudone by complete recordings or chunks from the Holberg Suite, around 35 by the end of June, I think we need a moratorium on that & Peer Gynt too. As almost all the Bernstein is either Candide, West Side Story, On the Town or Wonderful Town (usually the overture), I agree a moratorium on these also.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

"If any proof of R3 continuing transformation into an imitation of CFM is needed, then the music being played, especially in the now dominant playlist programmes. "

We have been piece by piece deceived, betrayed, laughed at, and dismissed.
            I am in despair.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

The number weddings at Trauldhagen are oudone by complete recordings or chunks from the Holberg Suite, around 35 by the end of June, I think we need a moratorium on that & Peer Gynt too. As almost all the Bernstein is either Candide, West Side Story, On the Town or Wonderful Town (usually the overture), I agree a moratorium on these also.
              as usual it will only be me …… but isn’t this talk of moratoria just a bit strong …… ?????

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post

as usual it will only be me …… but isn’t this talk of moratoria just a bit strong …… ?????
                What will only be you, Lord G?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

What will only be you, Lord G?
                  Sorry, I think having a moratorium (for how long?) on the playing of the pieces quoted is a bit OTT

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Sorry, I think having a moratorium (for how long?) on the playing of the pieces quoted is a bit OTT
                    Perhaps it if was at least a tomorratorium, anton?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

A would suggest at least a month for the CFM favourites to start with. The whole month instead reverting to R3 programming as it was 40 years ago.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

A would suggest at least a month for the CFM favourites to start with. The whole month instead reverting to R3 programming as it was 40 years ago.
                        I have to say, the swathe of mid C20 French composers forever sidelined by R3 I raised a few years ago on the forum now seems pretty parochial in the wider BBC scheme of predictability.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

For 9 to 9.30 WFH listeners like me a month free of the works listed would be most welcome . Yes I could use Qobuz but I’m just too lazy …

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

My default is to go to Qobuz, run through the new releases, add those I'm interested in to a playlist ("specially cuirated" if you prefer) and press play. Job done. Sit back and relax! Safe in the knowledge that no inane prattle will destroy your inner peace. How hard is that?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

When Classic FM first started I listened for about 10 minutes and haven't been back since.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                My default is to go to Qobuz, run through the new releases, add those I'm interested in to a playlist ("specially cuirated" if you prefer) and press play. Job done. Sit back and relax! Safe in the knowledge that no inane prattle will destroy your inner peace. How hard is that?
                                I do exactly the same. It’s largely taken the place of Record Review (& ditto Extra r.i.p.) for seeing what’s new and having a listen
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X