X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
    I do not seek news on R3, so their sprinkling of news is just fine. Having too regular news bulletins usually constrains the musical content with fixed events on the hour or so forth.Like many I actually turn more to R3 as a way of avoiding the depressing litany of actions by the evil, stupid, incompetent or greedy that passes for news.

I'm one of the many! If you're quick off the mark you can make a cup of tea or coffee (or pour yourself a glass of something a bit stronger) and be settled back in your chair just as the news comes to an end.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Aotearoa View Post
      I do not seek news on R3, so their sprinkling of news is just fine. Having too regular news bulletins usually constrains the musical content with fixed events on the hour or so forth.Like many I actually turn more to R3 as a way of avoiding the depressing litany of actions by the evil, stupid, incompetent or greedy that passes for news.
      Indeed...

...but R3 Breakfast news the other day featured a report on the current footballfest as the first item!

Whether that fits into your definitions above is a moot point.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

I don't particularly want to hear news bulletins on R3 and I think there are too many during the Breakfast programme but at least they are fairly short. It would be better if they included a couple of items of news more relevant to R3 listeners - classical music and arts news.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Indeed...

...but R3 Breakfast news the other day featured a report on the current footballfest as the first item!

Whether that fits into your definitions above is a moot point.
          Remembering what Zappa said about politics , which has unfortunately stood the test of time, they may as well have football, Taylor Swift, or this weeks gardening news.
          Mumble Grumble…..
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            I don't particularly want to hear news bulletins on R3 and I think there are too many during the Breakfast programme but at least they are fairly short. It would be better if they included a couple of items of news more relevant to R3 listeners - classical music and arts news.
            Breakfast is regularly peppered with such items, including celebrations of the passing of musicians and others in the world of the arts and birth and death anniversaries, promotions of, and reviews of, concerts and festivals, and important local stories that don't qualify for news bulletins.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Breakfast is regularly peppered with such items, including celebrations of the passing of musicians and others in the world of the arts and birth and death anniversaries, promotions of, and reviews of, concerts and festivals, and important local stories that don't qualify for news bulletins.
              I stopped listening, I think, in the pre-Breakfast Morning on 3 era, because every time the music stopped I kept wondering what they were going to tell me next that I didn't want to know
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I stopped listening, I think, in the pre-Breakfast Morning on 3 era, because every time the music stopped I kept wondering what they were going to tell me next that I didn't want to know
                I would like to think that Lord Reith is up there nodding approvingly at Petroc's attempts to inform, educate and entertain us.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I would like to think that Lord Reith is up there nodding approvingly at Petroc's attempts to inform, educate and entertain us.
                  Up to a point, Lord Reith … :-)
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I'm one of the many! If you're quick off the mark you can make a cup of tea or coffee (or pour yourself a glass of something a bit stronger) and be settled back in your chair just as the news comes to an end.
                    It's my solution for the evermore increasingly inconsequential and moronic adverts now coming every 12 or so minutes on non-BBC TV channels.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Up to a point, Lord Reith … :-)

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Many's the time I've heard news of such things as deaths of eminent musicians before they reach the main news - if at all in some cases. The variety of information is one of the reasons I still listen to Breakfast, but have given up on the rest of the output. The choice of music(even if it is not in full) I find interesting as well and not prone to same old same old repeat syndrome - unless I have been very inattentive for a long time, which is possible of course... I don't listen to the whole programme each day, admittedly, but usually a fairly big chunk of it.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Many's the time I've heard news of such things as deaths of eminent musicians before they reach the main news - if at all in some cases. The variety of information is one of the reasons I still listen to Breakfast, but have given up on the rest of the output. The choice of music(even if it is not in full) I find interesting as well and not prone to same old same old repeat syndrome - unless I have been very inattentive for a long time, which is possible of course... I don't listen to the whole programme each day, admittedly, but usually a fairly big chunk of it.
                          I think the Breakfast playlists are gradually becoming less adventurous, with more 'popular classics', but I still listen for at least 2 hours every day, except on Saturdays, and learn quite a lot of arts-related facts and news that might otherwise have escaped my attention. .

Comment

Working...
                          X