X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R3continuity
    • Jun 2024

News on R3

Not really a "playlist programme" as such but wasn't sure where else on the forum to post this. I was wondering what listeners think about news output on R3? - too little? Too much? Indifferent?

I have noticed a decrease in bulletins since COVID: the 0830, 0900 and 1700 summaries have been dropped. Has made any material difference? Probably not.

I have also noticed the recent schedule changes has meant Sundays now have a 1200 summary instead of a 1300.

The newsreaders are a mix of some R3 announcers (such as Danielle Jaloweicka and Jane Royce) and most R4 announcers. Thus, a lot of different voices reading the news on R3 rather than a set few. Is this a good thing or a bad thing I wonder?
    Last edited by R3continuity; 12-06-24, 08:25.
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by R3continuity View Post
    Not really a "playlist programme" as such but wasn't sure where else on the forum to post this. I was wondering what listeners think about news output on R3? - too little? Too much? Indifferent?

I have noticed a decrease in bulletins since COVID: the 0830, 0900 and 1300 summaries have been dropped. Has made any material difference? Probably not.

I have also noticed the recent schedule changes has meant Sundays now have a 1200 summary instead of a 1300.

The newsreaders are a mix of some R3 announcers (such as Danielle Jaloweicka and Jane Royce) and most R4 announcers. Thus, a lot of different voices reading the news on R3 rather than a set few. Is this a good thing or a bad thing I wonder?
    There's just about the right amount as far as I'm concerned.
    Presumably the shift in the lunchtime summary on Sundays is to avoid interrupting Private Passions.
    Back in the 1980's there was a late-evening news summary preceding Derek Jewell's Sounds Interesting.
    There was also a mercifully short-lived trial of breakfast summaries every 20 minutes.
    Last edited by LMcD; 12-06-24, 07:11.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

I'd rather not have any news broadcasts on Radio 3. I've stopped listening to/watching the news anyway, for two main reasons:

I get annoyed and frustrated hearing about things I can't do anything about, and

I dislike news presentation as entertainment, with exciting items being preferred over possibly more important ones. And I've found inaccuracies which lead me to suspect what I'm hearing.

I'm sure people will call this 'apathy' or 'burying ones' head in the sand'. I could not care less. I don;t't criticise others for their 'apathy' towards subjects that interest me but not them . Thankfully we have a choice.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

I have noticed a decrease in bulletins since COVID: the 0830, 0900 and 1300 summaries have been dropped. Has made any material difference? Probably not.

The pattern has remained largely as every halfhour during Breakfast, then tailing off until none from midday/1pm. It is to be hoped that stays(ie doesn't increase), although as I now don't listen after Breakfast, except for the one or two programmes that have survived the "Refresh", arguably I don't get to voice an opinion.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I'd rather not have any news broadcasts on Radio 3. I've stopped listening to/watching the news anyway, for two main reasons:

I get annoyed and frustrated hearing about things I can't do anything about, and

I dislike news presentation as entertainment, with exciting items being preferred over possibly more important ones. And I've found inaccuracies which lead me to suspect what I'm hearing.

I'm sure people will call this 'apathy' or 'burying ones' head in the sand'. I could not care less. I don;t't criticise others for their 'apathy' towards subjects that interest me but not them . Thankfully we have a choice.
          I've never listened to the radio news programmes and stopped watching tv ones decades ago. An exception is made on very rare occasions for Channel4. The R3 bulletins I find acceptable, as they are too short to get any sort of treatment and serve the purpose for me of a brief overview of things that I can then choose, or not, to follow up elsewhere in due course. It's easy enough because of that brevity, and knowing when they'll occur, to tune them out if I don't want to hear.

Comment

• R3continuity
            • Jun 2024

Indeed, the summaries are short and don't include any correspondent tapes, just pure news reading by a single announcer. I think partly this is to encourage listeners to stay on R3 rather than switching elsewhere to catch the news, however if on occasion a listener wants to hear more about a particular story, they could switch, having just been teased by a summary of a particular story.

​​​​

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

....I don't care who reads it - all are excellent....I only usually catch the 1300hr and early evening news....easy to tune ears out i, when need to do something else....reminds me of what time it is...
              bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

There's just about the right amount as far as I'm concerned.
                Presumably the shift in the lunchtime summary on Sundays is to avoid interrupting Private Passions.
                Back in the 1980's there was a late-evening news summary preceding Derek Jewell's Sounds Interesting.
                There was also a mercifully short-lived trial of breakfast summaries every 20 minutes.
                Now that was a cracker of a programme - probably bang in R6 territory but a good pop/prog/ jazz record review programme - very much of its time and maybe wouldn’t work today.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

however if on occasion a listener wants to hear more about a particular story, they could switch, having just been teased by a summary of a particular story.

​​​
                  There's also the strong possibility that many listeners will turn off when the news comes on, and not turn back on!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

My main sources of news are the 6.00 p.m. bulletin on Radio 4 and the BBC News website. I may or may not pay much attention to any other news broadcast that may happen to cross my path.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....I don't care who reads it - all are excellent....I only usually catch the 1300hr and early evening news....easy to tune ears out i, when need to do something else....reminds me of what time it is...
                      I had forgotten about the early evening offering - it's been so long since I regularly/frequently listened at that time.

Comment

• R3continuity
                        • Jun 2024

Yes, there is still a 6pm offering on weekday evenings, midway through In Tune. There used to be a 5pm summary read at start of In Tune too, but this disappeared at the start of the pandemic (due to staff availability issues), never to return again!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

I would say the level and content of news bulletins on R3 is about right. I remember the half hourly Breakfast bulletins () as mentioned up-thread.

If I want news I can easily access it elsewhere - mostly from my daily print newspaper, so I am always (at least) a day behind.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Generally news bulletins on Radio 3 are short innocuous headline announcements and little more - useful if it's something one should immediately know. I'm more concerned about the longer news programmes on Radio 4 and mainstream TV, with their party policy announcements backed up with "experts" brought on the spout all the usual reiterated economic orthodoxies that would rather have the planet burn up than alternative advocators in order to save our wonderful capitalist system.

Comment

• Aotearoa
                              • May 2014

I do not seek news on R3, so their sprinkling of news is just fine. Having too regular news bulletins usually constrains the musical content with fixed events on the hour or so forth.Like many I actually turn more to R3 as a way of avoiding the depressing litany of actions by the evil, stupid, incompetent or greedy that passes for news.

Comment

Working...
                              X