X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Sounds terrible . The Freiburg Baroque performance is good but like others I love the BPO/Bohm one of the very first records I bought and Bruno Walter.
    I'm pretty certain that part of Tom's remit is to spark controversy - or at least attempt to - in the hope that listeners will sit up, take notice and await further comment or reaction rather than switch off.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Another diversion …

see this …

A biography of high school teacher Georg Ohm. How Ohm wrote his law, why it was hated and how it become accepted in scientific communities. Links:My mailing ...

I’ll have to review the Linz discussion - I have many versions that I like. Probably Hogwood and Walter the most, but some of that due to familiarity.

Comment

• Roger Webb
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Another diversion …

see this …

A biography of high school teacher Georg Ohm. How Ohm wrote his law, why it was hated and how it become accepted in scientific communities. Links:My mailing ...

I’ll have to review the Linz discussion - I have many versions that I like. Probably Hogwood and Walter the most, but some of that due to familiarity.
        Before my conversion to music as a way of making a precarious living, I plied my trade as a communications engineer using Ohm's sensible, rational and useful Law daily........but now, especially for the 'Linz' it's Böhm not Ohm......resistance to current potential differences aside!

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I'm pretty certain that part of Tom's remit is to spark controversy - or at least attempt to - in the hope that listeners will sit up, take notice and await further comment or reaction rather than switch off.
          Not working for me.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Before my conversion to music as a way of making a precarious living, I plied my trade as a communications engineer using Ohm's sensible, rational and useful Law daily........but now, especially for the 'Linz' it's Böhm not Ohm......resistance to current potential differences aside!
            Over the years the rheostat role in hifi controls has come in handy to all we audiophiles! Bohm! bohm!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Not working for me.
              Nor me (or should that be nor I?) One good thing about this part of the Radio 3 'refresh' is that I can now go shopping on a Saturday morning, safe in he knowledge that I won't be missing anything on Radio 3 that might be of interest.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

One good thing about this part of the Radio 3 'refresh' is that I can now go shopping on a Saturday morning, safe in he knowledge that I won't be missing anything on Radio 3 that might be of interest.
                ... and more widely - not just shopping, not just Saturday morning - I feel released from any sense of Fear Of Missing Out, and only drop in to R3 for a very specific programme already flagged up in the Radio Times. It's done wonders for my reading, and for walking the streets of London - perhaps this is a government-inspired machiavellian plot to get us out and about...

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and more widely - not just shopping, not just Saturday morning - I feel released from any sense of Fear Of Missing Out, and only drop in to R3 for a very specific programme already flagged up in the Radio Times. It's done wonders for my reading, and for walking the streets of London - perhaps this is a government-inspired machiavellian plot to get us out and about...

... and mine!

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks, the Hogwood was a revelation when it came out - I don't think the term 'historically informed' had been invented back then! But they were, and the accompanying booklet a model of informative sleeve noting.

The Pinnock added, perhaps, an added note of refinement to the playing, and these are my ideal Perfs on 'original' instruments.

But the two boxes of LPs of the Böhm/BPO (mostly 68/69) I think Jesus-Christus Kirche recording, are sounding lovely....warm, sophisticated....in turns relaxed and urgent!

The above Böhm my antidote to the Itchy and Scratchy brigade!
                    It certainly was a revelation to me - and even today, despite the improvement in period instrument playing elsewhere, I still find Hogwood's set absolutely thrilling. Credit must also go to producer Peter Wadland too, who achieved a remarkable sound,the sort of Decca acoustic I have always adored.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

It certainly was a revelation to me - and even today, despite the improvement in period instrument playing elsewhere, I still find Hogwood's set absolutely thrilling. Credit must also go to producer Peter Wadland too, who achieved a remarkable sound,the sort of Decca acoustic I have always adored.
                      Yes the sound is exemplary....I don't know the technical details, I wonder if they were still using the Decca technique of a pair of 'omnis' on a 'tree' and just a fill-in over the top. Some of my favourites are Deccas - I'm a bit of an audiophile on the quiet! I've been playing a lot of Lyritas (LPs) lately, most of which are (Dunkerley) Decca recordings. Do you know, many knock spots off what are supposed to be 'Audiophile' productions.

Edit. Just looked up the recording details....and the engineer is John Dunkerley, no wonder it's good!!
                      Last edited by Roger Webb; 09-05-24, 20:07.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, Wadland and Dunkerley were a dream team for sure. I was lucky enough to be present at St Barnabas church in Woodside Park when they were recording the Bach Orchestral suites with Hogwood.
                        I think their very best work was done in St Jude's, Hampstead, truly glorious recorded sound.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Yes, Wadland and Dunkerley were a dream team for sure. I was lucky enough to be present at St Barnabas church in Woodside Park when they were recording the Bach Orchestral suites with Hogwood.
                          I think their very best work was done in St Jude's, Hampstead, truly glorious recorded sound.
                          Yes St Jude's, Hampstead is an excellent recording venue along with St Silas's, Kentish Town and All Saints, Tooting Weren't you lucky to have been there to hear the Orch. Suites recorded, I like those very much.

BTW, although Wadland produced some of the early Moz Syms (some with Dunkerley, and some with Simon Eadon) and the 'bonus' box 7 with all the 'doubtful' and spurious bits and pieces, Morten Wilding produced most of the middle and late symphonies including the Linz.
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Mackerras’s Scottish CO readings are pretty close to my ideal in Mozart’s late symphonies.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                              • Feb 2024

Mackerras’s Scottish CO readings are pretty close to my ideal in Mozart’s late symphonies.
                              See posts #42 - 44, I mentioned the Scottish/Mackerras set of late syms, but on balance I always return to Prague with Mackerras....I think you said you like that too....it's that distinctive wind playing.

Have a look at the forthcoming La Tribune on Beethoven SQ Op127....in view of your choices for other music of this period, I'd be interested in your opinion.....my list of eight is there.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Yes St Jude's, Hampstead is an excellent recording venue along with St Silas's, Kentish Town and All Saints, Tooting Weren't you lucky to have been there to hear the Orch. Suites recorded, I like those very much.

BTW, although Wadland produced some of the early Moz Syms (some with Dunkerley, and some with Simon Eadon) and the 'bonus' box 7 with all the 'doubtful' and spurious bits and pieces, Morten Wilding produced most of the middle and late symphonies including the Linz.
                                ​​​​​​
                                Yes, I was indeed lucky to be present. At the time I was editing the AAM's Friends Society newsletter so was a bit of a HIPP groupie, attending when I was able!

I notice that Morten Wilding is present on quite a few of the various Hogwood discs over the years...maybe he sat in sometimes when Dunkerley wasn't available?

Comment

Working...
                                X