• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Personality and Trivia in The Morning

RC cracked the final straw with his gush about Biber's bloddy battle thingy .... as if talking to a bored year one class in a music appreciation lesson for uninterested 12 year olds ...

the morning on R3 is not broken or ill, it does not require fixing or recuperative measures ... it is wrong!

wrongly conceived [personality not music led], wrongly selected and wrongly presented .... it is not about improving, it is about change!

a much more seriously musical authority is required and a detached and informative presentation of items [with the use of personal pronouns prohibited]

i am not in the least religious and dislike the broadcasting of religious services in the afternoon/evenings on R3 but that said, the early morning is a suitable opportunity for the many wonders of choral devotional music ... and i can see no reason why styles/genres could not be crafted together with some regularity e.g. slots for String Quartets/Symphonies and so on

the present programming is a survival of RW's ill conceived and badly executed strategy of turning R3 into a radio station, a brand led approach with supposedly mellifluous voices ... i must confess that i would not choose to have too many conversations with the current quartet of 'personalities' and find their presence in my dwelling intrusive and unwelcome and it is not their vocal qualities that i find intrusive

Dear Mr New Controller: if not now, when? if not you, who?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Letter to Trust (they did ask ) will make the point that when you have looooong programmes and shrt pieces, the contribution of presenters is important: what they are required to do and what they say.

Garbage is demeaning to all concerned. Essential Classics is Lowest Common Denominator 'entertainment' (coincidence: angry email has just arrived saying much the same!). Radio 3 needs to attract the 'beginners' who want something more than a bit of social media with music.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

No-one at R3 seems to have the courage to investigate with impartiality and without pre-conceived formula what they are doing and its impact. It really is about the guts to say no to the status quo.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Letter to Trust (they did ask ) will make the point that when you have looooong programmes and shrt pieces, the contribution of presenters is important: what they are required to do and what they say.

Garbage is demeaning to all concerned. Essential Classics is Lowest Common Denominator 'entertainment' (coincidence: angry email has just arrived saying much the same!). Radio 3 needs to attract the 'beginners' who want something more than a bit of social media with music.
        I tuned in (and straight away again) around 10.30 when a rather bland pop tune was playing. Trade descriptions issue: neither classic nor essential.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Dear Forumistas,

Why do people (eg aka Calum Da Jazbo) persist in listening to a radio programme they so dislike?

Is it because they share living space with someone who likes the programme and insists on listening to it?

If so, could their hateful complaining be a transference of their dislike of this other person?

Your humble servant, etc.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Get rid of both SW and RC IMHO. Hearing "my choice", "my this " and my that is like hearing a first form assembly.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
              Dear Forumistas,

Why do people (eg aka Calum Da Jazbo) persist in listening to a radio programme they so dislike?

Is it because they share living space with someone who likes the programme and insists on listening to it?

If so, could their hateful complaining be a transference of their dislike of this other person?

Well, Uriah, because (and is this really so hard to understand?), we have a right to expect better for our money (and yes, I know you don't need a licence to listen to the radio, but the reality is we all pay for it). You clearly enjoy Radio 3 offerings as they stand, but the rest of us find R3 a total travesty of a serious music broadcaster.

One thing's for certain: if we don't complain, no one else will!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Dear Forumistas,

my complaints are measured and not hateful HG and i will not be traduced by you as a 'hateful' person

fyi i live alone and the radio is an important part of my life .... the nature of R3 was changed in the most undesirable way by RW in his later years as controller, and i, like many others, want to see the restitution of the style and editorial policies he removed so capriciously....

why do you see positive complaints as 'hateful' ... what are you implying by such usage

in future i would be grateful if you kept your fantasies about my living arrangements to yourself
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Easy. If you don't listen, you're told you can't criticise.

Why should people be expected to go and do something else when the quiz/celebrity/rubbish &c is on? They want a GOOD PROGRAMME - that's why they criticise garbage

hth

PS Why do you keep posting here if all you want to do is moan about other members?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I understand the oft-repeated complaint ("This programme is not for me. There used to be a programme for me on at this time. I want a programme for me. Now!").

I don't understand why you persist in listening to a programme you so dislike.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I don't understand why you persist in listening to a programme you so dislike.
                      What's the alternative? Realistically? Actually?

(PS Even thinking of EC makes me feel ill, so I rely on braver souls to keep me apprised of how awful it is. So that I can COMPLAIN )

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        Well, Uriah, because (and is this really so hard to understand?), we have a right to expect better for our money (and yes, I know you don't need a licence to listen to the radio, but the reality is we all pay for it). You clearly enjoy Radio 3 offerings as they stand, but the rest of us find R3 a total travesty of a serious music broadcaster.

One thing's for certain: if we don't complain, no one else will!

Sir V - great to have you back on the forum .

I have nothing to add to what I said before - Essential Classics is a programme surely on the wrong station !

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          Get rid of both SW and RC IMHO. Hearing "my choice", "my this " and my that is like hearing a first form assembly.
                          But then it's not SW's or RC's or any of its other presenters' "choice" to include this kind of thing in the programme; presenters are all too often blamed for issues that are the responsibility of producers and/or policymakers. Do you suppose that either of these presenters would be incapable of presenting - or unwilling to present - the programme differently, without "my" this or that, without emails, without texts, without quizzes and all the rest were the powers that be to decide to change its format and style to one that eschewed these things (if only!)? Under these circumstances and given that Sarah Walker is a pianist, I might say "don't shoot the pianist; she's doing her best!"...
                          Last edited by ahinton; 22-04-15, 14:24.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            But then it's not SW's or RC's or any of its other presenters' "choice" to include this kind of thing in the programme; presenters are all too often blamed for issues that are the responsibility of producers and/or policymakers. Do you suppose that either of these presenters would be incapable of presenting - or unwilling to present - the programme differently, without "my" this or that, without emails, without texts, without quizzes and all the rest were the powers that be to decide to change its format and style to one that eschewed these things (if only!)? Under these circumstances and given that Sarah Walker is a pianist, I might say "don't shoot the pianist; she's doing her best!"...
                            well said ahinton, and i do not wish to malign the quartet presently engaged in this tosh as individuals

... but i do object to the style and content of the programming ... from 6 a.m. to Noon is a very sizeable chunk of the day

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              "Only following orders guv" eh? Now where have we heard that one before? If they're really being forced to do something they dislike then they must have a terrible time looking at themselves in the mirror. Trouble is, they both sound remarkably happy in their work, so either they're damned good actors, or they've fully bought in to this woeful approach.

By the way, many of these producers that you're so sure they're petrified of, are young guys and girls in their 20s or 30s who wouldn't say boo to a goose, let alone advise grizzled old veterans such as Cowan or Walker on how to present.

Comment

Working...
                              X