X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

I'm afraid I have to agree with ardcarp: a lot of that felt like polyfilla, and not a very good advertisement for EBU's taste or the material being produced in the region for Christmas.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

This does rather contradict your earlier post?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

No, it doesn't, it tells you how long and concentratedly I wanted to and then made myself listen - i.e. down as far as the Czech stuff closely, liked the Czech rusticity - closer to a community-based celebration - and then lost interest as the rest of what I felt was a bit tedious came on.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

the playlist has appeared (yes I know, too late)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It was presumably a programme for a very general audience, rather than one used to the finer points of the Anglican tradition of choral singing/choirs?

Were the 'traditional Icelandic music for Christmas' similarly tedious, and the traditional carols from Stockholm? The choice of the Mozart clarinet concerto and Tchaikovsky also give a clue that this is not for an audience that can claim to have heard them 500 times ...?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              No, it doesn't, it tells you how long and concentratedly I wanted to and then made myself listen - i.e. down as far as the Czech stuff closely, liked the Czech rusticity - closer to a community-based celebration - and then lost interest as the rest of what I felt was a bit tedious came on.
              The Schreier was part of the Czech stuff - and of the tradition of turning the traditional rusticity into something a bit more liturgical. Which possibly puts a bit too much pressure on it, for those accustomed to a less folksy tradition of church music. It's not unlike the West Gallery tradition we've only recently rediscovered here.

I loved the Czech carols which reminded me of the Polish ones I grew fond of when I was in Poland. And the Romanian ones, too.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                X