X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

And I'm just warning that Richard Tarleton. Now. DO NOT listen!!!

Seriously , that many pieces - 27 - in 3 hours and no time for even one full-length piece? The playlist could be worse (they regularly are on Breakfast) but really this is only better class wallpaper rather than woodchip. I'm more baffled than angry.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And I'm just warning that Richard Tarleton. Now. DO NOT listen!!!
      TOO LATE!!! (See Tarrega Watch Thread, post #55) I think she did it on purpose; "she only does it to annoy, Because she knows it teases".

Seriously , that many pieces - 27 - in 3 hours and no time for even one full-length piece? The playlist could be worse (they regularly are on Breakfast) but really this is only better class wallpaper rather than woodchip. I'm more baffled than angry.
      Well - we got the complete Classical Symphony; all 13 minutes of it.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        TOO LATE!!! (See Tarrega Watch Thread, post #55)
        Well, I did my best, no change me being too late The Boccherini looks to have been over 10 minutes too. And there was "Au fond du temple saint" NOT sung by Jussi Björling and Robert Merrill.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• zola
          • May 2011

I wonder how much longer Record Review can last ? It must seriously inconvenience those tuning in on a Saturday morning expecting Music While You Work which is on the other six days of the week in that time slot.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by zola View Post
            I wonder how much longer Record Review can last ? It must seriously inconvenience those tuning in on a Saturday morning expecting Music While You Work which is on the other six days of the week in that time slot.
            Well. Quite.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
              For pity's sake don't give the powers that be any ideas!

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                I dipped into this morning's edition - so many pieces in such a short time.....
                ....... I found Sarah Walker a bit gushing. (Dons tin helmet )

Very much agree .......

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I thought her show last Sunday was pretty decent. Some nice links between works, perfect for a longish drive in the car.

Which , I suppose , may not be how the thing should be best judged.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    perfect for a longish drive in the car.
                    For some people that would be the reason to criticise a good deal of the current Radio 3 schedule; they would rather have something to listen to at home rather more attentively than in-car entertainment.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      For some people that would be the reason to criticise a good deal of the current Radio 3 schedule; they would rather have something to listen to at home rather more attentively than in-car entertainment.
                      That's really what I was driving at in my last line.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

That's really what I was driving at in my last line.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Constantbee
                          • Jul 2017

I thought her show last Sunday was pretty decent. Some nice links between works, perfect for a longish drive in the car.

Which , I suppose , may not be how the thing should be best judged.
                          I'd agree with that. Not how the thing should be judged perhaps but inevitably is. Personally I find Classic FM easier to drive to than BBCR3. Unsurprising as commercial radio advertising is all to do with drivers. Just listen to the ads. You have to concentrate on radio 3. Hard when you're driving sometimes.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A Scottish Gaelic folksong this morning, Mo run an diugh mar an de thu , the tune for which sounded uncommonly like the tune to Burns's Ae fond kiss. Anyone know if the two are related?

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              A Scottish Gaelic folksong this morning, Mo run an diugh mar an de thu , the tune for which sounded uncommonly like the tune to Burns's Ae fond kiss. Anyone know if the two are related?
                              I heard that too, Richard. It also reminded me of what I now discover is Ae Fond Kiss. ( I couldn't even make a stab at the Gaelic)

I thought the Gaelic version, as broadcast, was the better performance; I looked up YouTube for the Burns song.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                                I didn't hear it this morning, Richard. Burns seemed to set 'Ae Fond Kiss' to the tune 'Rory Dall's Port' which could be Irish in origin and then headed further north.
                                2 17th Century tunes I learnt a year ago but haven't played recently.

I notice that Mo run an diugh mar an de thu (My love today as heretofore) played this morning comes from an LP, The Captain's Collection, the Captain referred to being Capt Simon Fraser who would have been a slightly younger contemporary of Burns. He was a fiddler who collected a couple of hundred songs and released them in a publication 'The Airs and Melodies Peculiar to the Highlands of Scotland' which is where Mo run an diugh mar an de thu seems to have appeared. Burns certainly travelled far and wide collecting songs and then setting his poems to them, so it sounds like this is a tune that has lived a long and varied life in the culture of the Scots. I'd assume it came via the Gaelic first, from the sound of it, but I don't know that. Lovely to hear Alyth McCormack singing - I do enjoy her voice.

Comment

Working...
                                X