X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Well, there was also the Panufnik Polonia, which I'd never heard before and found enjoyable. And, with the Thursday morning from 10:30 Essential Classics with a complete Firebird ballet on the bill of fare, that's three or four swallows - practically a full gulp - leading one to dare to hope for a brighter future.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Well, there was also the Panufnik Polonia, which I'd never heard before and found enjoyable. And, with the Thursday morning from 10:30 Essential Classics with a complete Firebird ballet on the bill of fare, that's three or four swallows - practically a full gulp - leading one to dare to hope for a brighter future.
      lets hope for further Swift improvement.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        There was also the Munch complete Daphnis last week!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          lets hope for further Swift improvement.
          ...and hope it's not gone south for the Winter!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Sunday Morning

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

A series on Essential Classics devoted to recordings that used to be on Decca Ace of Clubs would have me tuning in again ! The LPO/Kleiber Pastoral and Moura Lympany Rachmaninov 3 for example .

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                A series on Essential Classics devoted to recordings that used to be on Decca Ace of Clubs would have me tuning in again ! The LPO/Kleiber Pastoral and Moura Lympany Rachmaninov 3 for example .
                Absolutely. I really can't understand Harriet Harvard's remark at all.

Incidentally, can someone enlighten me about Ace of Clubs and Ace of Diamonds? I think the former was defunct by the time I started buying classical LPs (late 70s), but the latter was still going (the LSO/Fjeldstadt Grieg Peer Gynt Suite on Ace of Diamonds was one of my first purchases). Was Ace of Clubs a mid-price new release label and Ace of Diamonds for mid-price reissues? I seem to recall AoD being a notch or two above CfP in price.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  Incidentally, can someone enlighten me about Ace of Clubs and Ace of Diamonds? I think the former was defunct by the time I started buying classical LPs (late 70s), but the latter was still going (the LSO/Fjeldstadt Grieg Peer Gynt Suite on Ace of Diamonds was one of my first purchases). Was Ace of Clubs a mid-price new release label and Ace of Diamonds for mid-price reissues? I seem to recall AoD being a notch or two above CfP in price.
                  They were both lower price reissue labels. Ace of Clubs in the mono era was a bid by Decca to counter the new record clubs, such as World Record Club (hence the clever name). They used deleted recordings from the full price LXT series.

Ace of Diamonds, the equivalent stereo label, started in 1965, being reissues of deleted full price SXL items.

The latter label did include some new recordings, rather than reissues, later in the 1970s.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Thanks very much Don. That makes much more sense, and indeed rings a bell. My memory was playing tricks (which it really shouldn't be doing yet).

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

For a while I've been thinking that Sunday Morning is a pretty good programme with a good choice of interesting music and well-presented for the most part. However, alarm bells rang this morning. At the time I was listening Rob Cowan seemed to be in full 'interactive' mode reading out tweets and e-mails from people who might've been better off listening rather than tweeting and e-mailing (I really didn't need to know that Hugh thought the Tippett Fantasia was "Corelli murdered", nor that somebody else remembered it being used as a film theme).

But my heart really sank when I heard Rob announce a new feature coming up called 'Sunday Supplement' where listeners choose pieces of music (I must admit I missed the details as I was groaning too loudly). Clearly the Sunday Morning 'interactive' box hasn't been ticked strongly enough. I know one shouldn't pre-judge but did anyone else's heart sink too at the news?

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                        ...Rob Cowan seemed to be in full 'interactive' mode reading out tweets and e-mails from people who might've been better off listening rather than tweeting and e-mailing
                        But the same thing happens here. There are endless examples of messages posted whilst live concerts are in full flow and saying useful things like:

" Not the tempo I'm used to..." or
                        "Two dodgy notes from the clarinet I think..." or
                        "Is the pianist listening to the orchestra..." or
                        "Sooo pale compared with Barbirolli and Gina Lollabrigida on their Feb 1954 78s" or
                        "Did someone drop something on the floor at bar 168..."

They're just tweets under another name and just as uninteresting

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                          But the same thing happens here. There are endless examples of messages posted whilst live concerts are in full flow and saying useful things like:

"Sooo pale compared with Barbirolli and Gina Lollabrigida on their Feb 1954 78s" or

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

No, they are not. The whole point of ‘interactive’ is that you become part of the programme by ‘talking to’ the presenter. The concept is entirely individual presenter centred. Whereas the posts on this forum during a concert are more like the posters thinking aloud and nothing to do with becoming part of a radio programme. There are few things that make my heart sink deeper than the word interactive.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

I'm glad to see that you, too, find the tweets "uninteresting" - the difference being, of course that the Posts here aren't read out on air; if some Forumistas wish to communicate their responses during a broadcast, the rest of us (who don't have our computers nearby when listening to performances) aren't imposed upon.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

"Sooo pale compared with Barbirolli and Gina Lollabrigida on their Feb 1954 78s"

uninteresting

that one sounds very interesting, I would certainly like to know more

Comment

Working...
                                X