Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Of course not they were a team!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Yes I thought the reference to a slow section next week to help with the stresses of Sunday a bit odd - do they think we are all vicars or something ? Seriously though what a consummate pro JS is . As I said on the by now legendary Essential Classics thread his well turned , thoughtful, musically insightful links and lack of forced chumminess could act as a model for quite a few others in broadcasting .
      If we were all stressed vicars, we should all be in church at 11.15. 'And now, in place of the usual sermon at this time, here is Tchaikovsky's Rose Adagio' [Congregation relaxes into a state of torpor and vicar makes his or her Sunday Escape].

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        If we were all stressed vicars, we should all be in church at 11.15.
        Yes, Monday being the traditional 'day of rest'. Whence the woeful clerical lament: Sic transit Glorious Monday.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Just heard the syrupy trail for Sunday morning and concluded that being in church might be a better option. Why is it the default assumption that music is about relaxing , a warm aural bath to soothe away stress ? This is the legacy of Classic FM.....

Comment

• un barbu
            • Jun 2017

Just heard the syrupy trail for Sunday morning and concluded that being in church might be a better option. Why is it the default assumption that music is about relaxing , a warm aural bath to soothe away stress ? This is the legacy of Classic FM.....
            It seems that Radio 3 has indeed subscribed to the idea of music as the equivalent of those hot, milky drinks favoured as bringers of comfort by characters in the novels of Barbara Pym.
            Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Blame not Congreve but those who only quote the opening phrase:

"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
              To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
              I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
              And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
              By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
              What then am I? Am I more senseless grown
              Than Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!
              'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.
              Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last Night
              The silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;
              He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'd
              Within its cold, but hospitable Bosom.
              Why am not I at Peace?"

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

You are so right Heldenleben the likeness to Classic FM becomes more marked every day!

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Yes, Sunday Morning is rank cowardice by BBC, pursuing the beige, bleeding teeny bits chopped from works that would be too heavy for the nervous, all done with soothing presentation. Explains why most of my daytime listening is to https://yle.fi/radio/yleklassinen/suora/

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Will we be told what time the BaL choice is being played (assuming that it still will be, of course, which might be a vain hope)?
                    That might be the only reason for me to switch on.

On the plus side, I'm enjoying working my way through my CD collection (though all the opera sets still remain to be better investigated and listened to!), especially rediscovering forgotten treasures, or listening to other stations such as the one Draco mentions.
                    Last edited by Pulcinella; 27-09-17, 11:06. Reason: Plus side added!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Will we be told what time the BaL choice is being played (assuming that it still will be, of course, which might be a vain hope)?
                      Looks as if it's already been ditched, Pulci. No sign of the Franck Symphony last Sunday. Some here would see that as a blessing, judging by the comments on the BaL page. I did not. I'd been looking forward to hearing the Bychkov.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        ................. At 11.15, she introduces a new feature, Sarah's Sunday Escape, with dream-like music to take one's mind off the pressures of the day.............
                        I think the timing is fortuitous. Desert Island Discs starts then. Good point to escape from this nauseating imposition on R3. Poor old Sarah having to participate in something like this.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I dipped into this morning's edition - so many pieces in such a short time.....
                          I'm currently listening to Alexander Armstrong on Classic FM. While the length of the items is about the same, his style is on the dry side of enthusiastic whereas I found Sarah Walker a bit gushing. (Dons tin helmet )

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Misguided, crass radio that demeans the station IMO.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Heard most of the programme. If this had been a weekday, I would have considered this to be an improvement - rather better put together and delivered, and lacking the irritating twits et al(although that aspect will doubtless change, given the soliciting of listener input on today's broadcast). For the Sunday morning slot it's a fail for me. Is the idea the result of some sort of extrapolation of listening figures, an attempt to up the numbers for Sunday as has been done so successfully(!) for the weekdays?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Heard most of the programme. If this had been a weekday, I would have considered this to be an improvement - rather better put together and delivered, and lacking the irritating twits et al(although that aspect will doubtless change, given the soliciting of listener input on today's broadcast). For the Sunday morning slot it's a fail for me. Is the idea the result of some sort of extrapolation of listening figures, an attempt to up the numbers for Sunday as has been done so successfully(!) for the weekdays?
                                - that sums up my own reaction (with an element of momentary confusion about what day of the week it was when I drowsily switched the radio one*). I think I might need to share LMcD's tin hat, as I felt that there was an element of gush in the presentation - the purple-prosed "copying or stealing?" comment before the Classical Symphony led to some blue vocabulary here.

* - seems I was still drowsy when I posted this typo!
                                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-10-17, 22:29.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X