• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
    And here indeed is the great feminist musician in action, surrounded by a number of her fellow suffragettes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEr-AKJr-LI
    Marvellous stuff, uct

Quite a formidable technique she had!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Marvellous stuff, uct

Quite a formidable technique she had!
      Glad you like it, ferney - and yes indeed she did!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

And here indeed is the great feminist musician in action, surrounded by a number of her fellow suffragettes.

... thank you so much! I have to say that I obtained more joy in that couple of minutes of Ethel Smith than I ever derived from wading through the voluminous acres of Dame E. S.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... thank you so much! I have to say that I obtained more joy in that couple of minutes of Ethel Smith than I ever derived from wading through the voluminous acres of Dame E. S.

Comment

• hmvman
            • Mar 2007

Wot, no toothbrush?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Reminded me of:

Still running in the UK 25 years after it was first created. To see more of my commercials please visit lewislloydcreative.com
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I well remember that tune. So that was what it was called! I can go to my grave contented.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I well remember that tune. So that was what it was called! I can go to my grave contented.
                  So pleased to have had a hand in assisting your peaceful passing, but I do hope that it will be long delayed!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Which in turn reminded me of a time when some TV ads were quite amusing, albeit not particularly informative. Nowadays they treat us like 2-year olds. That's failing capitalism for you!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Might be time to resurrect this thread. It seems to go without saying, so I will just say it: gratitude to Messrs Swain and Jolly for finding a very acceptable way of filling three hours with music. A quick check suggests they played 14-15 separate pieces per programme, compared with Ms Klein's 23 or more.

Apart from the change of presenter - to whom good luck in taking on her predecessors' role - it will be interesting to see how far it will go down a route of Sunday Essential Classics. The slot is identical, 3 hours 9-12 and the description for next week's programme doesn't sound quite as if this is Jolly and Swain style, even if they still preside over the page for the moment:

Sarah Walker joins Sunday Morning with a varied selection of music, including Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, opus 25, and Vivaldi's Flute Concerto "The Goldfinch". There's also lighter fare from Sidney Torch and Percy Grainger, and a focus on the great guitarist Julian Bream. At 11.15, she introduces a new feature, Sarah's Sunday Escape, with dream-like music to take one's mind off the pressures of the day, and this week it is the Rose Adagio from Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty.

Hardly the moment to express misgivings before a single programme has been aired but I think we should know what we'll be looking for. Not a 'beginners/newcomers' playlist. I seem to think the weekend automatic playout isn't switched on until the afternoon so we run the risk of heaps of eager listeners itching to be part of the prog. A strange thought that Sunday mornings should be particularly stressful, though.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Yes I thought the reference to a slow section next week to help with the stresses of Sunday a bit odd - do they think we are all vicars or something ? Seriously though what a consummate pro JS is . As I said on the by now legendary Essential Classics thread his well turned , thoughtful, musically insightful links and lack of forced chumminess could act as a model for quite a few others in broadcasting .

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                          Yes I thought the reference to a slow section next week to help with the stresses of Sunday a bit odd - do they think we are all vicars or something ? Seriously though what a consummate pro JS is . As I said on the by now legendary Essential Classics thread his well turned , thoughtful, musically insightful links and lack of forced chumminess could act as a model for quite a few others in broadcasting .
                          Agreed - I will greatly miss him and I worry about what is to come ......

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Might be time to resurrect this thread. It seems to go without saying, so I will just say it: gratitude to Messrs Swain and Jolly for finding a very acceptable way of filling three hours with music. A quick check suggests they played 14-15 separate pieces per programme, compared with Ms Klein's 23 or more.

Apart from the change of presenter - to whom good luck in taking on her predecessors' role - it will be interesting to see how far it will go down a route of Sunday Essential Classics. The slot is identical, 3 hours 9-12 and the description for next week's programme doesn't sound quite as if this is Jolly and Swain style, even if they still preside over the page for the moment:

Sarah Walker joins Sunday Morning with a varied selection of music, including Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, opus 25, and Vivaldi's Flute Concerto "The Goldfinch". There's also lighter fare from Sidney Torch and Percy Grainger, and a focus on the great guitarist Julian Bream. At 11.15, she introduces a new feature, Sarah's Sunday Escape, with dream-like music to take one's mind off the pressures of the day, and this week it is the Rose Adagio from Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty.

Hardly the moment to express misgivings before a single programme has been aired but I think we should know what we'll be looking for. Not a 'beginners/newcomers' playlist. I seem to think the weekend automatic playout isn't switched on until the afternoon so we run the risk of heaps of eager listeners itching to be part of the prog. A strange thought that Sunday mornings should be particularly stressful, though.
                            A far cry from Sunday Morning's Music Magazine with the intro to 'An Die Music' with Julian Herbage. An irony really because with her musical knowledge Sarah Walker would be the ideal person to revive the programme. Also I may be wrong but wasn't it followed by chamber music recitals? Good Sunday Morning fare.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

May be the Accountants have moved in? Too many presenters on the books? Musical considerations out of the window?

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                A far cry from Sunday Morning's Music Magazine with the intro to 'An Die Music' with Julian Herbage. An irony really because with her musical knowledge Sarah Walker would be the ideal person to revive the programme. Also I may be wrong but wasn't it followed by chamber music recitals? Good Sunday Morning fare.
                                ... not forgetting Anna Instone -

Comment

Working...
                                X