X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    That's impressive - quite a bit of work must have gone into putting that playlist together. Love the humorous/thought-provoking(?) ending.
    Yes, one has to go back a fair way in the playlist to get the connection. Clever.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      To clarify - Leonard Nimmoy wasn't double-jointed; he used to separate the two middle fingers of his right hand with his left hand off-camera before holding up his hand. (I can do the salute without such cheating - a friend at Primary School taught me; he used to play "Stone, Scissors, Paper" using his hand in this way. He didn't have many friends.)
      I did not know that. Thank you, ferney

Meanwhile, the lyrics are here.

When I saw Mozart, I thought it was going to be the sonata, K number forgotten. K331? Or thereabouts?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

When I saw Mozart, I thought it was going to be the sonata, K number forgotten. K331? Or thereabouts?
        No wonder no reply: I was confusing it with K311 Rock-a-bye baby. Twinkle, twinkle indeed the variations Ah, vous dirai-je, maman K 265, not a sonata. I did not know the vocal version …

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

New post about this morning's programme merged with this one.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

No wonder no reply: I was confusing it with K311 Rock-a-bye baby. Twinkle, twinkle indeed the variations Ah, vous dirai-je, maman K 265, not a sonata. I did not know the vocal version …

Not to mention the Dohnanyi

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Er... anyone know what happened to the Trumpsky thread??

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                [ ... you're not allowed to ask - it was closed down by the Secret Services with orders from on high... ]

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  It descended into otiose argument and was sent to closed Diversions, left for a while with a link for the benefit of the then participants.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                    A pleasure to listen to Sunday Morning; Jonathan Swain's presentation brisk and informative, as always.

JS is creating a problem for me. Sunday mornings is my catch-up time for the Saturday evening programmes. Fortunately this Saturday night, I could afford to ignore Philip Glass

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      Not to mention the Dohnanyi
                      Hearing the delightful Dohnanyi, once a Proms staple, made me wonder why it has so completely disappeared from concert halls. I wonder how many pianists know it these days? I have a feeling that young pianists don't learn it because it wouldn't go down well at piano competitions. In the old days, perhaps competitions did not dominate musicians' lives as they now seem to.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                        Hearing the delightful Dohnanyi, once a Proms staple, made me wonder why it has so completely disappeared from concert halls. I wonder how many pianists know it these days? I have a feeling that young pianists don't learn it because it wouldn't go down well at piano competitions. In the old days, perhaps competitions did not dominate musicians' lives as they now seem to.
                        Also it cannot be played on a Steinway. It needs the extended compass of some Bösendorfer pianos. With so many pianists and concert halls in thrall to Steinway this might account for their being so few performances.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          Also it cannot be played on a Steinway. It needs the extended compass of some Bösendorfer pianos. With so many pianists and concert halls in thrall to Steinway this might account for their being so few performances.
                          Very interesting - I hadn't realised that. I saw a score in my teens but didn't take in that particular detail.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                            • Sep 2014

Another joke on this Sunday's Playlist for Sunday Morning - introducing an unwitting audience to "Ethel Smith - Overture The Boatswains Mate" - they've even helpfully added a biography of Ethel Smith who apparently was an American Organist who played primarily in a pop style on the Hammond Organ. Well you learn something new every day!

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Indeed, Ethel Smith, American organist, who used the appear in the MGM technicolour extravagandas of the 40s. I seem to remember Tica, Tica, often requested on Family favourites, popular Sunday listening on the wireless!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

And here indeed is the great feminist musician in action, surrounded by a number of her fellow suffragettes.

Comment

Working...
                                X