• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Me too Richard and very pleasant in the, kids back at school, weather we are enjoying suddenly in the pit heaps. With Rumpole's Bach for company.

Excellent. I also found the radio especially irritating this morning, Richard, during the 45 seconds I was able to tolerate. Off for a drive myself, family duties half way between here and t'pit heaps.... Weather looking great indeed, with the sun behind us on the journey north!

Rather than 'my' Bach (glad you are getting the benefit, anton), going to give Haitink's Great C major, Oundjian's Bruckner 7 and Jurowski's DSCH 8 a relisten, all cunningly nestling in the iPod in the Rumpomobile (that doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean!)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Caliban charabanc?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Caliban charabanc?
        Calivan ?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

I lasted about the same as those above. To many tweets an the sun is shiny. Better to listen to the Magpies in the park than endless tweeting....

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Bumping this thread, as it's not JS presenting today.
              Dipped in and out of R3 this morning and found it a great improvement compared to a while back.
              Tippett's Fantasia Concertante in Breakfast as I switched over from the rather too happy clappy (for me) R4 Morning Service after the 8 o'clock news, then interesting (again for me) full pieces in Sunday Morning: Korngold's Violin Concerto and now Bridge's The Sea, with the full (in this case) BaL choice too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I got this reply on Monday at 17:10 to a comment about the playlist for last Sunday's programme only showing the last hour's worth....

Unfortunately, we are having some technical issues with our playlist for the weekend, so many apologies for this. Our technical team are hoping to resolve this very soon.
                Sadly, the issues must have been quite serious, as 'very soon' seems to be taking longer than they might have thought; still missing when I checked a few minutes ago.
                But at least I got a response.
                I was interested to learn what the first piece played was; I was listening rather drowsily so didn't quite catch the composer's name and piece title, though I think it might have been Nesciens Mater by Mouton (possibly even in the recording I have: Pilgrimage to Santiago).

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I got this reply on Monday at 17:10 to a comment about the playlist for last Sunday's programme only showing the last hour's worth....

Sadly, the issues must have been quite serious, as 'very soon' seems to be taking longer than they might have thought; still missing when I checked a few minutes ago.
                  But at least I got a response.
                  I was interested to learn what the first piece played was; I was listening rather drowsily so didn't quite catch the composer's name and piece title, though I think it might have been Nesciens Mater by Mouton (possibly even in the recording I have: Pilgrimage to Santiago).
                  If you mean last Sunday, 21st August, I can see this playlist OK. It shows the first item was:

WIlliam Alwyn:
                  Miss Julie: Midsummer Night
                  Singer: Kate Royal.
                  Orchestra: Orchestra of the Welsh National Opera.
                  Conductor: Edward Gardner.
                  Midsummer Night.
                  EMI.

By the way, I thought this was a particularly interesting programme, which I have "dipped into" several times! A great improvement on the recent past.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Ah! Might have posted on the wrong playlist thread: Sunday Breakfast was what I meant.
                    So it's the hour from 0700--0800 that's still missing.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                      • Sep 2014

You're right - the playlist is still missing for the 7.00 - 800 slot. But listening to it on iPlayer it confirmed that the first piece was indeed Nesciens Mater by Jean Mouton sung by the Monteverdi Choir under John Eliot-Gardiner - thanks, I didn't know that piece.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                        You're right - the playlist is still missing for the 7.00 - 800 slot. But listening to it on iPlayer it confirmed that the first piece was indeed Nesciens Mater by Jean Mouton sung by the Monteverdi Choir under John Eliot-Gardiner - thanks, I didn't know that piece.

Apologies for delayed response; dismal internet speed where I was staying for a couple of days.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Sunday Morning: 29 Jan 2017

A pleasure to listen to Sunday Morning; Jonathan Swain's presentation brisk and informative, as always. I warmed to the notion of playing Scenes with Cranes after the BAL choice of Tapiola. Fortuitously, I spent part of yesterday, assembling a Simon Rattle programme on DVD which included Portrait of a Maestro - a fascinating coverage of his career over several decades, followed on a separate disc by performances of Sibelius 5, 6 and 7, BPO, at the Barbican, 2014ish. The intro to the symphonic cycle includes a sequence where Sir Simon rehearsed a performance of Finlandia with young musicians selected from London boroughs - the same dedication which he would have given the BPO. His return to our shores particularly welcome as he will bring a great deal of much needed heft in restoring musical education to the mainstream. In the meantime, I'm steeling myself to revisit my shelves in search of Sib 1-4! C'mon, I KNOW you're there! In turn, I shall further extend my DVD, off-air, recordings by adding Farewell to Brum, an inspired performance of Mahler 2, as he departed for Berlin.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

An excellent way of including a non-classical piece*. Excellent throughout, for that matter.
                            Jonathan Swain explores musical forests and jungles. With music by Sibelius and Dohnanyi.

*the closing item.

Excellent Plus: the playlist is already completed.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                              An excellent way of including a non-classical piece*. Excellent throughout, for that matter.
                              Jonathan Swain explores musical forests and jungles. With music by Sibelius and Dohnanyi.

*the closing item.

Excellent Plus: the playlist is already completed.
                              That's impressive - quite a bit of work must have gone into putting that playlist together. Love the humorous/thought-provoking(?) ending.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                                An excellent way of including a non-classical piece*.
                                To clarify - Leonard Nimmoy wasn't double-jointed; he used to separate the two middle fingers of his right hand with his left hand off-camera before holding up his hand. (I can do the salute without such cheating - a friend at Primary School taught me; he used to play "Stone, Scissors, Paper" using his hand in this way. He didn't have many friends.)
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X