• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
    I just had to check this, because on Sunday I thought my ears were deceiving me, but no: last Sunday they played just the last five minutes of Dvorak's Otello overture.

Sheer vandalism! Do the people who produce and present this programme care nothing at all for music?
    Hmm, I wonder how well you would do, operating from a shed at the bottom of your garden. Far less excusable, to my mind, is the repeated mispresentation of Debussy's Chansons de Bilitis, which is so often introduced by Radio 3 presenters as if it was the Trois Chansons de Bilitis, a very different work, the former unpublished during the composer's lifetime but resurrected, with a reconstructed celesta part, by Boulez and first recorded by Vera Zorina, Robert Craft and co. In the past couple of years this has been wrongly introduced on Radio 3 by two different male presenters without correction following the broadcast. Once from a live 2018 Aldborough Festival concert and another on TtN. O.k., the Chansons de Bilitis for reciter and small ensemble is generally less well known than the Trois Chasons, but there are several commercial recordings which have been released and its duration and lack of singing should be a giveaway. As it happens, I got to know the Chansons de Bilitis long before the Trois Chansons. Those unfamiliar with the former may at least know its music from Debussy's recycling of it via the Six épigraphes antiques.

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Hmm, I wonder how well you would do, operating from a shed at the bottom of your garden.
      Fair comment, but as you can tell from SW's introduction, the truncation was not an error but premeditated.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I treated myself to a bit of a teenage-style lie-in this morning (7th Feb), hoping R3's Sunday Morning would be good company. But I found much of it very tedious and annoying, Maybe it was just me, but a piano piece by Meredith Monk (whom I usually admire), plus the Bourree from Handel's Water music played at double-speed, plus a somewhat unremarkable Haydn Symphony (No9 in C) played in full just got on my nerves. To make matters worse the fine Victoria motet, O Domine Jesu Christe, superbly sung by Collegium Vocale Ghen, lasted barely 2 minutes before morphing without comment into some string piece. At that point, the Off Button came into play. Did anyone else find this morning's menu disappointing?

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yes, yes, yes.......... turned the cricket commentary on instead.

Tired tosh on R3

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Another good selection from Sarah this morning and good to hear ‘The Continental’ from the late Peter Skellern and the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, from their excellent ‘Astaire’ album.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Another good selection from Sarah this morning and good to hear ‘The Continental’ from the late Peter Skellern and the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, from their excellent ‘Astaire’ album.

Good to hear Virginia's husband's Aran, followed by Cardew's Father Murphy in tribute. The version of Aran was the trio version, an earlier quartet version with two of the same performers, cona be heard on this CD-R from EMC.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Handel's Salve Regina - a must listen from Sarah Walker's Sunday Morning.
                Grace Davidson was the superb soloist in this stunning performance (Academy of Ancient Music) of one of Handel's lesser-known pieces. It dates from his early stay in Italy; presumably around the time of writing Dixit Dominus. Handel was somehow 'different' before English tastes affected his choral style.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Ee …up - The Bard of Barnsley is presenting in this great weekend of Yorkshire inspired sporting achievement. And some brass band to start . I think this is going to be my sort of show…

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

I like him - no doubt though he "divides opinion". Does it depend on the relative percentages?

I also like Sarah Walker, I presume she's having a holiday......

I tend to tune in after "Broadcasting House" but I should accept reality and stick with Radio 3 from waking on Sunday until lunchtime (on Martin Handley days). I should catch up with the R4 programme on Sounds another time because I rarely get to listen to that news programme without being diverted or distracted, or (and I'm sying this in the nicest possible way) commandeered.
                    Which rather means Sunday morning on Radio 3 won't get my undivided attention but then I suppose its designed to cater for us "busy people" as well as, say, those bed bound or immobile, or living alone.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      I like him - no doubt though he "divides opinion". Does it depend on the relative percentages?

Also from Barnsley.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

I tend to tune in after "Broadcasting House" but I should accept reality and stick with Radio 3 from waking on Sunday until lunchtime (on Martin Handley days). I should catch up with the R4 programme on Sounds another time because I rarely get to listen to that news programme without being diverted or distracted, or (and I'm sying this in the nicest possible way) commandeered.
                        Which rather means Sunday morning on Radio 3 won't get my undivided attention but then I suppose its designed to cater for us "busy people" as well as, say, those bed bound or immobile, or living alone.
                        I think he is presenting this really well with , as you would expect , some very well written links .

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Also from Barnsley.
                          Champion!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                            Ee …up - The Bard of Barnsley is presenting in this great weekend of Yorkshire inspired sporting achievement. And some brass band to start . I think this is going to be my sort of show…
                            The Darfield Dynamo! Grand!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Martin Handley this morning demonstrating his consummate skills as a presenter when announcing the death of his long time colleague Gill Anderson. Thoughtful comments and reminiscences relayed without gush, although at times, not surprisingly, you could hear his difficulty speaking.
                              Thank you Martin for letting us know in such a dignified way, despite your personal feelings.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

No strictly the correct thread but I couldn’t find one for ‘In Tune’ but caught a bit of today’s programme and so good to hear Sarah Walker in charge of the programme - I thought the conversation with Davone Tines interesting on using the full range of his voice instead of being categorised as a bass or baritone. The Caroline Shaw pieces sounded good as did his playing around with the Ode To Joy!

Comment

Working...
                                X