Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I didn't hear the introduction by Sarah Walker so was rather puzzled just now to be listening to what sounded like a re-working of Stanford's 'The Bluebird'. Apparently it was 'The Drowned Lovers' by Judith Bingham. Can anyone explain to this higgorant soul why the two should sound so similar; the only connection would seem to be a lake.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      I didn't hear the introduction by Sarah Walker so was rather puzzled just now to be listening to what sounded like a re-working of Stanford's 'The Bluebird'. Apparently it was 'The Drowned Lovers' by Judith Bingham. Can anyone explain to this higgorant soul why the two should sound so similar; the only connection would seem to be a lake.
      This is all that I could find. https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/d...5_GBLLH1690414

Didn't hear it on Sunday (as Sarah Walker's Sunday Morning is not my cup of tea), but I remember being favourably impressed by it when I heard it some months ago.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        This is all that I could find. https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/d...5_GBLLH1690414

Didn't hear it on Sunday (as Sarah Walker's Sunday Morning is not my cup of tea), but I remember being favourably impressed by it when I heard it some months ago.
        Thank you for that. I only did a cursory search and managed to miss that reference. I realise now that I have heard it before and probably also heard the bit about it being a companion piece for Bluebird; the similarities evidently didn't register as strongly then. Admittedly I was only half concentrating this time round and perhaps that's why the 'recognisable' bits stood out - the brain filtering picking the familiar.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I see that the TV and Radio supplement with my weekend paper has decided that R3 output today starts at 12 midday. I am telling myself the reason is lack of space caused by the mentioning of the Sonic Memorials.....

But other reasons had crossed my mind!

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I see that the TV and Radio supplement with my weekend paper has decided that R3 output today starts at 12 midday. I am telling myself the reason is lack of space caused by the mentioning of the Sonic Memorials.....

But other reasons had crossed my mind!
            My paper has fewer details than usual for certain programmes, but manages to find space for all the Sonic Memorials.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Elsewhere there is a debate, albeit one-sided, about the merits of this “show” intermingled with a wish to keep discussions focused and not all on the Breakfast thread ....... so I give you Sir James MacMillan, George Gershwin and Kate Rusby .....

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

For those on FB, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005365575150

No catty comments, please.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  For those on FB, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005365575150

No catty comments, please.
                  It says "Make sure no musician is left behind"; but what about right behinded musicians?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    It says "Make sure no musician is left behind"; but what about right behinded musicians?
                    Been checking out that glute ad. she linked to, eh?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Been checking out that glute ad. she linked to, eh?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Another good selection from SW this morning.

Comment

• LezLee
                          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Another good selection from SW this morning.
                          Yes. I particularly liked the Tony Woods Project - ‘The North Wind Doth Blow’, sort of folky jazz.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                            Yes. I particularly liked the Tony Woods Project - ‘The North Wind Doth Blow’, sort of folky jazz.

https://youtu.be/e9JJuH59BqY
                            Thanks for posting this! Tony is a member of the SW London-based Way Out West collective: his wife Nette Robinson is a fine singer, who also arranges and plays sax in some of the local outfits. I think they pronounce her name "Netty" - not being sure can cause a few social faux passes!

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

I thought Sunday’s programme was very good ..... but then I have always been Frank Sinatra .......

Comment

• rauschwerk
                                • Nov 2010

I just had to check this, because on Sunday I thought my ears were deceiving me, but no: last Sunday they played just the last five minutes of Dvorak's Otello overture.

Sheer vandalism! Do the people who produce and present this programme care nothing at all for music?

Comment

Working...
                                X