Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Welcome to Sunday Morning - a mixed bag today chosen by members of the Radio 3 Forum . After a noisy piece by someone called Lachenmann, we will have an arrangement of the Scherzo from Mahler 5 for brass band . Then I see we have Elgar 2 from Barbirolli, an impassioned discussion about which is the best recording of Varese's Ameriques , Butterworth's A Shropshire Lad songs arranged for orchestra , some organ music from a baroque composer I have never heard of and to conclude one of VW's symphonies but as yet the panel are still arguing about which one and the recording.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

... rubbish programme - nothing from before 1600!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

... and far too much 'British Music'

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... and far too much 'British Music'

We announce an amendment to the programme now we will be having a Bruckner symphony rather than VW but this may take longer to decide as the Panel are now also arguing about the version and whether if Bruckner 9 is chosen there should be a completion.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            We announce an amendment to the programme now we will be having a Bruckner symphony rather than VW but this may take longer to decide as the Panel are now also arguing about the version and whether if Bruckner 9 is chosen there should be a completion.
            With due respect to all the other Brucknerheads on the forum, the first Bruckner decision must be Jayne's together with rationale for choice of version! I can't think who would make the choice of recording, but the featured Symphony will be by Richard Strauss!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I thought you'd be more concerned about nothing after 2000, ferney!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I thought you'd be more concerned about nothing after 2000, ferney!
                I think Lachenmann has written music since 2000.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  With due respect to all the other Brucknerheads on the forum, the first Bruckner decision must be Jayne's together with rationale for choice of version! I can't think who would make the choice of recording, but the featured Symphony will be by Richard Strauss!
                  ...Concluding with a discussion as to whether or not symphonic poems can be considered to be symphonies.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

... and some of it has been recorded, so they can use it on Sunday Morning. (Grido for S4tet from 2001 has no fewer than three recordings currently available - and Double, the composer's String Orchestra re-working from 2004, has also been recorded.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      To say nothing of Billy Mayerl, Peggy Lee and Bernstein's Wonderful Town. Plus bandoneonist J Rowlands playing Piazzolla. It seems that if the performer is better known for classical music (Susan Tomes, Simon Rattle &c) it becomes classical music. Can't explain Peggy Lee.
                      I've been rather enjoying the little morsels of light music on a Sunday morning. There's precious little anywhere else on BBC (or, indeed, any other network) radio.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

'appen you're right. Barbs!

Perhaps there should be a featured conductor - any suggestions?

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          ...Concluding with a discussion as to whether or not symphonic poems can be considered to be symphonies.
                          What Bruckner's?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Can't explain Peggy Lee.
                            Is that all there is, 'cos She's a Woman W O M A N. she gives Fever!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                              I've been rather enjoying the little morsels of light music on a Sunday morning. There's precious little anywhere else on BBC (or, indeed, any other network) radio.
                              That's precisely how they get away with it It doesn't matter what they do, someone will like it and others won't. Who wins? Why should those who appreciate light music be given priority over those who don't? All Radio 3 is doing is gradually welcoming in the light music lovers and driving out those who want 'heavier' fare - at least on the programmes which are supposed to be classical.

Just expect the audiences for other programmes which don't include light interludes to go down: evening concerts which expect listeners to listen for 40 mins+ at a time; Record Review which is for informed listeners who take a critical attitude to what they're listening to; Hear and Now, Music Matters, Discovering Mu … oh, but that one's gone already, hasn't it?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

That's precisely how they get away with it It doesn't matter what they do, someone will like it and others won't. Who wins? Why should those who appreciate light music be given priority over those who don't? All Radio 3 is doing is gradually welcoming in the light music lovers and driving out those who want 'heavier' fare - at least on the programmes which are supposed to be classical.

Just expect the audiences for other programmes which don't include light interludes to go down: evening concerts which expect listeners to listen for 40 mins+ at a time; Record Review which is for informed listeners who take a critical attitude to what they're listening to; Hear and Now, Music Matters, Discovering Mu … oh, but that one's gone already, hasn't it?
                                ...and light music has all but disappeared from Radio 2, as is to be the fate of the Organist Entertains and Listen to the Band, replaced by the exR1 DJ entertains and listen to the bland!

Comment

Working...
                                X