X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Hmmmm ... James Jolly on at 10.00am ...........

Oh ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
      Well said. Last time this happened we had old style broadcasting, free from inane drivelling chatter. Let's hope the strike is a lengthy one.
      Sadly not. Ian Skelly sounds as if he is working a script - and introducing music compiled by the BBC 100 Best Tunes computer
      Greig: In the Hall of the Mountain King
      Copland: Fanfare
      Regulatory Debussy and Chopin pieces
      and our dear old friend Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (albeit in a dirge like performance which dragged out the now tedious Montague and Capulet section to inordinate lengths.)
      O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

The real interest of today's playlist is the number of times that the word 'orchestra' appears as 'OIShestra' (or 'OIShesta'). Any deep significance, I wonder?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Yes I listened to IS and found him not to be up to SMP standard - must try to catch salymap's new lady if she (the lady not salymap) is not manning the barricades.
          A possibly uninteresting aside this morning was, as ever, hectic - daughter here, daughter there, daughter despair. We got in the car and the Copeland was just starting - amazingly there was no "Switch that c**p off" she listened and said "Oh I quite like this" and even the Jupiter seemed to stike a cord of sorts! Perhaps.................just perhaps!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

That would be Stewart Copeland, would it?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Amazed - whole of 2nd movement of Mahler's 9th just after 9am today (Rattle BPO) - how are people with short attention spans supposed to cope! Must have lasted well over 10 minutes. I even wondered if we we're going to get more, but no, the Flight of the Bumble Bee followed soon after.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Just out of interest, I tuned in on Sunday morning and heard the adagio from the Elgar cello concerto followed by the first movement of a Mozart flute quartet. At which point I tuned out again.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Amazed - whole of 2nd movement of Mahler's 9th just after 9am today (Rattle BPO) - how are people with short attention spans supposed to cope! Must have lasted well over 10 minutes. I even wondered if we we're going to get more, but no, the Flight of the Bumble Bee followed soon after.
                  And La Valse...
                  O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• AndyJW
                    • Jan 2011

Did anyone see the letter in today's Telegraph? Andy

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

that Lloyd Webber (father) Serenade for Strings just played on breakfast was quite attractive
                      I see where Andrew gets his gift for melody from
                      or
                      I see from whence Andrew gets his gift for melody

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        that Lloyd Webber (father) Serenade for Strings just played on breakfast was quite attractive
                        I see where Andrew gets his gift for melody from
                        or
                        I see from whence Andrew gets his gift for melody

or
                        I see whence Andrew gets his gift for melody

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          or
                          I see whence Andrew gets his gift for melody
                          oh yes, that's better
                          I had a feeling mine was wrong

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

If there is one thing I loathe, it is having to look at someone’s holiday photographs. Now we have to LISTEN TO this with music. What is it that makes all these people want to exhibit their private lives in public? Yes, I can turn the radio off but that’s not the point.

Comment

• old khayyam

08:34 today - Ennio Morricone. I like the music of Ennio Morricone but it has no place on R3. Well, yes it does; but then i'll have to allow the Star Wars theme on principle, which is wrong.

I also notice the presenter justifying the playing of cheap film music by saying "thanks to all of you who requested Ennio Morricone". Which also opens the doors to a self-fulfilling prophecy where people think they can start badgering R3 for the most mundane film soundtracks.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

And once again we had those two old birds The Lark Ascending and The Swan in the same hour this morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X