X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt
    >and that his son coined the phrase "economical with the truth" (according to wikipedia))
    Do you believe that ?
    This was during the famous Spycathcher case when Robert Armstrong unwisely and rather too publically appeared for the Government when they attempted to stop publication of Peter Wright's Spycatcher book.

It is transmuted sometimes to 'economic with the veritee'.

I hadn't appreciated the Thomas Armstrong connection until now.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Robert Armstrong's use of "economical with the truth" -

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
      It is transmuted sometimes to 'economic with the veritee'.

... or "economical with the actualité", the phrase used by Alan Clark in the Matrix-Churchill trial....

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

I see yesterday's playlist is finally up, what a relief, the thought of having to listen to the entire programme was enough to make me consider tuning into R1 afterwards to fully flush a whole Breakfast listening experience frrom my memory bank.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          A bit like nurse feeding you your gruel - it's lovely really and it's good for you!
          ah that explains why I usually want to puke at this point - actually of course the mute switch is hit assuming I was actually listening to R3 - usually KD has driven me to prefer silence or CD much earlier.

Comment

• Crowcatcher

In general I quite like Breakfast, it seems appropriate to play shorter pieces of music, and movements from larger ones but I do get irritated with movements from shorter pieces; and, am I the only one who notices the repetition of certain items - Vivaldi's 'Summer' no less than five times in the fortnight around midsummer's day, VWs 'Dives and Lazarus' at least four times so far this year, in the last month three of Handel's 'Zadock the Priest' and the predominance of playing piano performances of Bach and Scarlatti as opposed to the instruments they composed for.
            More frequently I find myself heading for the CD shelf!

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

a new voice on breakfast? Clemency B-H.

oops, 7.30 they've forgotten to flick a switch at the beginning of the Dvorak waltzes
              Last edited by mercia; 09-07-11, 07:35.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                a new voice on breakfast? Clemency B-H.

oops, 7.30 they've forgotten to flick a switch
                Yes, lucky for them the conversation was purely technical!

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

I think I've got to text in if I'm having dumplings for breakfast .......... something like that anyway

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    I think I've got to text in if I'm having dumplings for breakfast .......... something like that anyway
                    ......and run the risk of triggering requests for favourite dumpling recipes?
                    To be fair, the many messages devoted to 'Breakfast' are very useful, enabling me as they do to get the taste (sic) of what's going on without having to go to the trouble of actually listening.
                    I've just bought a double CD of Elgar's music for wind quintet - it goes down a treat with muesli or toast.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Personally I would give a welcome to C B-H who seems free from gush or gimmicks [so far]. The links are imposed on her and she has no choice I suppose.

Comment

• old khayyam

It has now become clear to me that 8:30am is the American slot: Copland/'star wars'/Copland/Bernstein/etc..

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          Personally I would give a welcome to C B-H who seems free from gush or gimmicks [so far]. The links are imposed on her and she has no choice I suppose.
                          What is wrong with "links" Dear Lady? Is it not good sense like putting the Proms on the cover of the Radio Times?!

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Good morning anton Dear Sir, links on the RT don't cut down on music played.

NUJ strike at the Beeb today. Our Rob missing and others.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

good morning to you - was not aware of this will go and listen.....

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                good morning to you - was not aware of this will go and listen.....
                                Well said. Last time this happened we had old style broadcasting, free from inane drivelling chatter. Let's hope the strike is a lengthy one.

Comment

Working...
                                X