Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I can't seem to find the playlist of this morning's breakfast, although tomorrow's is there with a Slavonic Dance and Zadok the Priest to look forward to

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I hope they will put the playlist up soon or I'll have to listen to the whole programme in the name of my survey, I'd better buy some paracetemol. So tomorrow It'll be Slavonic Dance no 54 and Zadok the Priest no 26 then, what joy!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I don't think you can absolutely rely on it appearing, sc. Back in the past there were always odd days when something went wrong with the system and the list never appeared.

Why don't you email the programme and ask for the running order, explaining that you're compiling an annual list? Who knows, they may consult you in the future ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Listening to breakfast on my way to work this morning I heard an extract from a sinfonietta by Thomas Armstrong, a name which is new to me..
          Anyone know much about him and his music ?.
          Sounds like a composer I would like to get to know more.

Probably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...ng_(conductor)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It doesn't look as if he composed a great deal and they are shorter, and choral, works for the most part.

The Sinfonietta was available on a Chandos disc, now as a download.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              a Slavonic Dance and Zadok the Priest to look forward to
              and the first couple of minutes of Also Sprach Zarathustra

Re: Sir Thomas, I see that he lived in the lovely-named Newton Blossomville (and that his son coined the phrase "economical with the truth" (according to wikipedia))
              Last edited by mercia; 07-07-11, 07:18.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                It doesn't look as if he composed a great deal and they are shorter, and choral, works for the most part.
                One composition that I imagine many people will have heard is his descant to "O Little Town of Bethlehem" which appears in "Carols for Choirs 1".

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  and the first couple of minutes of Also Sprach Zarathustra

Re: Sir Thomas, I see that he lived in the lovely-named Newton Blossomville (and that his son coined the phrase "economical with the truth" (according to wikipedia))
                  ... I think the phrase has a much longer history. Burke has "Falsehood and delusion are allowed in no case whatever: but, as in the exercise of all the virtues, there is an economy of truth. It is a sort of temperance, by which a man speaks truth with measure that he may speak it the longer." - but the concept goes way back earlier in Christian apologetics, and I think also in classical philosophy, to express the idea of fitting your words to what your audience will be able to receive.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt
                    Do you believe that ?
                    no, it sounds a bit economical

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I think that with both Sir Thomas Armstrong and Parry their problem was that they were leading double lives, as composers and heads of, respectively, the RAM and the RCM.

Back to Breakfast. The jump from West Side Story to Zadok [again] was too much for this once loyal listener.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        I think that with both Sir Thomas Armstrong and Parry their problem was that they were leading double lives, as composers and heads of, respectively, the RAM and the RCM.

Back to Breakfast. The jump from West Side Story to Zadok [again] was too much for this once loyal listener.
                        Are you sure you hadn't tuned to Classic FM by mistake? I can't imagine ANY Radio 3 presenter presiding over such a jarring change of musical gear.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I don't think you can absolutely rely on it appearing, sc. Back in the past there were always odd days when something went wrong with the system and the list never appeared.

Why don't you email the programme and ask for the running order, explaining that you're compiling an annual list? Who knows, they may consult you in the future ...
                          Thanks frenchie, I may split it over a couple of days and skip forward through pieces as I do when checking some of the programmes anyway if it doesn't appear in the next day. Mind you I'm getting sick of trawling through Ao3 these days, as the forward button always seems to fail to work around the time that Rafferty comes in to the studio to do a 5 minute trailer for what is being broadcast in 15-20 minutes time and Katie telling us how excited she is getting about it, I just find myself screaming at the PC.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            almost immediately followed by another ghastly gear crunch - a segue from The Art of Fugue to Michael Nyman...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              to express the idea of fitting your words to what your audience will be able to receive.
                              Actually, isn't this what the new R3 is about, from its lofty vantage point of semi- and mis-information: fitting its words to what it thinks its putative audience will be able to understand?
                              Originally Posted by suffolkcoastal

around the time that Rafferty comes in to the studio to do a 5 minute trailer for what is being broadcast in 15-20 minutes time and Katie telling us how excited she is getting about it, I just find myself screaming at the PC.
                              A bit like nurse feeding you your gruel - it's lovely really and it's good for you!
                              Last edited by french frank; 08-07-11, 09:36.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

The phrase 'putative audience' is the key here, but it has all manner of ramifications:
                                [a] to whom does R3 think it is broadcasting?
                                [b] to whom would R3 like to be broadcasting?
                                [c] to whom is R3 actually broadcasting?

Because IMO there are three distrinct answers and at the moment, R3 seems to be trapped on ground between them and seems to be having trouble identifying the target.

Unlike R4 and to an extent R1/2, R3 has made a far bigger change to its target profile in the last 5 yrs than any other of the major BBC radio platforms, and I just wonder if they have any focused idea of the answer to any of the questions above.

Comment

Working...
                                X