• Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    A waste of airtime?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      John Humphrys isn't the problem as far as I'm concerned, it's politicians who won't answer questions or who, when they are finally forced to do so, persist in sticking to their (frequently misdirected) guns in the face of contrary substantiated arguments presented by non-politicos.
      John Humphrys doesn't let interviewees answer the questions. If they do, he interrupts them. It's all about his own personal agenda.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Haas Browns?
        Yes thank you waiter, but Nowak-uum packed bacon or Carragan Moss side-dish if you please!
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          John Humphrys doesn't let interviewees answer the questions. If they do, he interrupts them. It's all about his own personal agenda.
          I suspect that, in many cases, if he didn't interrupt, he wouldn't elicit any useful information at all from the interviewee, especially if the latter is 'on message' and trotting out the party line. Justin Webb, Sarah Montague and Martha Kearney interrupt people even more than he does!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I suspect that, in many cases, if he didn't interrupt, he wouldn't elicit any useful information at all from the interviewee, especially if the latter is 'on message' and trotting out the party line. Justin Webb, Sarah Montague and Martha Kearney interrupt people even more than he does!
            Nevertheless, I would like to hear them complete their answers, so we get to know what the circumlocutions are the public is being fed, or what sense, when replies are (just occasionally) sensible and constructive. Too often they're talked over at the point where it's clear they're about to finish, or where they might well be trying their best to cram in anything that's been left out in the "debate curation" process that might provide a definitive answer, because the BBC henchpeople don't want answers they themselves aren't permitted to suggest unless they've had someone on providing counter-arguments.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... acquaintance with highly skilled lawyers makes me think that sometimes these interviewers wd do better by learning the (difficult) art of maintaining a lengthy silence. Most interlocutors can't abide silence, and after a time will feel the need to say something to fill the void. If their utterance is met with further (prolonged) silence, still more may be proffered. Very very few people are comfortable with silence.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... acquaintance with highly skilled lawyers makes me think that sometimes these interviewers wd do better by learning the (difficult) art of maintaining a lengthy silence. Most interlocutors can't abide silence, and after a time will feel the need to say something to fill the void. If their utterance is met with further (prolonged) silence, still more may be proffered. Very very few people are comfortable with silence.

I don't know anybody who's comfortable with constant interruptions: in anticipation, the viewer is circumvented from attending to what IS actually said. One always used to think that BBC set standards in good manners; even Robin Day would wait for the answer at least to be given in full before attacking it. The impression I get is that today's interviewers are incapable of retaining points being presented as an interview proceeds, and have to cut of the interviewee before becoming too stressed out by the overburdensomeness of it all!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

But silence is anathema to radio. After a while people start clouting their radios.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    But silence is anathema to radio. After a while people start clouting their radios.
                    Or perhaps obtaining a new battery in place of assault.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Or perhaps obtaining a new battery in place of assault.
                      Would that be a (re)chargeable one?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Would that be a (re)chargeable one?
                        I don't know: but it would be a salt and battery one!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

There are very few pieces of music that I would describe as “execrable” but that opening movement of the “Airborne Symphony” by Blickstein(sp?) played today hits the spot. “Sparky’s Magic Piano” had more going for it than this pile of kitsch.
                          And who knew Carl Nielsen composed the Karelia Suite?
                          The cherry on the parfait of a fairly gruesome morning’s offering was “I do like to be beside the seaside” played on the Blackpool Wurlitzer.

What quality.
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                            There are very few pieces of music that I would describe as “execrable” but that opening movement of the “Airborne Symphony” by Blickstein(sp?) played today hits the spot. “Sparky’s Magic Piano” had more going for it than this pile of kitsch.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

The playlist can't make up its mind whose Karelia Suite - Ballade, op 11 was played. When I first looked it said Carl Nielsen, Ballade from Karelia Suite, Op. 11. Just googling to find out what Nielsen's op 11 was (Humoreske-Bagateller for solo piano). Back to check the playlist and it was Sibelius's Karelia Suite, for orchestra. Must have made a mistake - but I had the old tab still open. Definitely said Nielsen. Back to check a third time. No, composer was the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. Wait a few minutes and check again. Definitely Sibelius. They all look a bit like Carl Nielsen, though.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DaisyDog
                                • Jun 2016

And now, Saturday morning, we have Tom McKinney blazing his way through Record Review. Hurry back to your rightful home Andrew McGregor. You are greatly missed. And you never gabble.

Comment

Working...
                                X