X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I think recently cloughers five brave souls hereabouts owned up to liking Essential Skellers ........
    Gadzooks, cor blimey, well bless the bleeding chunks!

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I think recently cloughers five brave souls hereabouts owned up to liking Essential Skellers ........
      The radio goes on when I get up and if I'm around when EC comes on I listen. I'm not as bothered by the chunks as many are and since Mr Skelly got settled in I've also rather enjoyed the barbed remarks that emerge. It's not what R3 should be I accept that, but the tweemail etc has been less annoying since it's been given the Skelly (realise that IS not a good abbreviation even if quicker....) treatment.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Is this the proper place to say that I enjoy Breakfast? I find the mix and length of pieces about right, both presenters excellent and the texts, emails, newspapers and trailers no real "problem".
        Recent criticism of Petroc Trelawny's presentation had led me to rediscover the pleasures of this programme. I agree with you about the mix and length of pieces, and the choice of music is an attractive mixture of well known pieces, lesser known pieces by well-known composers and artistes and performers, and pieces by composers new to me. Unlike the presenters of 'Essential Classics' - 'I'm A Subversive, Honest' and 'I'm the schoolmarm, I know best'-, both of whom seem to be trying to prove something, PT manages to be informative in a non-didactic way, apparently seeing no need to be confrontational or controversial in order to provoke the listener. My (sincere) thanks to those Forum members who brought about this Damascene moment in my breakfast-time listening.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I believe PT has just played Recuerdos de la Alhambra, by Francisco Tárrega. To save me trawling back through the repeat, please can some alert Forumite tell me whether PT said Tárrega or Tarrega (emphasis on second syllable)? Followers of Tárrega Watch will know PT is a repeat offender.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            I believe PT has just played Recuerdos de la Alhambra, by Francisco Tárrega. To save me trawling back through the repeat, please can some alert Forumite tell me whether PT said Tárrega or Tarrega (emphasis on second syllable)? Followers of Tárrega Watch will know PT is a repeat offender.
            ... delighted to report : he got it right! Tárrega it was...

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-06-18, 08:43.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... delighted to report : he got it right! Tárrega it was...

And without hesitation.
              Couldn't help the customary small jab of irritation though at the two immediate thoughts that came up when the music started; didn't this chap write anything else and, how will the name be pronounced.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                And without hesitation.
                Couldn't help the customary small jab of irritation though at the two immediate thoughts that came up when the music started; didn't this chap write anything else and, how will the name be pronounced.
                For the latter I can only apologise

As to the former, see here. They are, by and large, late Romantic and dare I say it insubstantial salon pieces. Sarah W has given Caprichio Árabe the odd spin, the Jota Aragonesa is quite fun.... He's a pivotal figure in the history of the guitar, in the generation before Segovia.... Recuerdos is his masterpiece, but suffers from over-exposure.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I’m afraid to say my choice wasn’t broadcast this morning. The work today was Hanel’s The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. I asked for Party’s I Was Glad. Better luck next time!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I’m afraid to say my choice wasn’t broadcast this morning. The work today was Hanel’s The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. I asked for Party’s I Was Glad. Better luck next time!
                    I suggested Percy Grainger's 'Arrival Platform Humlet'.
                    Would that be Hubert Party and Georg Friedrich Hanel by any chance?

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

For the latter I can only apologise

As to the former, see here. They are, by and large, late Romantic and dare I say it insubstantial salon pieces. Sarah W has given Caprichio Árabe the odd spin, the Jota Aragonesa is quite fun.... He's a pivotal figure in the history of the guitar, in the generation before Segovia.... Recuerdos is his masterpiece, but suffers from over-exposure.
                      I wasn't having a dig, just registering that it's a pity there should still be any doubt as to how it will be said.
                      From what you say about his work it could be argued that more of it would be expected to appear in the 'insubstantial' R3 morning schedules....

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I wasn't having a dig, just registering that it's a pity there should still be any doubt as to how it will be said.
                        From what you say about his work it could be argued that more of it would be expected to appear in the 'insubstantial' R3 morning schedules....
                        Yes, it could have been made for them. A lot of it is certainly of pedagogic interest to guitarists and very easy on the ear, and passes in a crowd well shoved in as they say in N Ireland - but (e.g. in a recital) it needs a bit of musical roughage to accompany it.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

PS....one of Tárrega's most popular pieces (with guitarists at any rate) is also a pronunciation pitfall for non-Spanish speakers. Lágrima - A Tear - is usually pronounced with the stress on the second syllable, like the composer's name. Why is this? Adelita is more popular on R3, the intuitive Anglophone pronunciation being for once the correct one.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Surely he says "Tar (- gasp -) rega".

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                The Devil is in the detail, maybe Suzi was not in the mood for a Party and not a Hanel fan!... that or she could not undo Solomon’s Seal!

Comment

Working...
                                X