X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
    Or the presenters could be malfunctioning androids made out of baked bean tins ...
    I hope you're not referring to Marvin - he's already totally depressed.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
      Or the presenters could be malfunctioning androids made out of baked bean tins ...
      excellent example of recycling - 1st generate the flatulence for on-air delivery then reuse the empties

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        excellent example of recycling - 1st generate the flatulence for on-air delivery then reuse the empties
        And very clever too when they made the "synths" for the "Humans" series!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Assuming this is to be the case, When the Tom Service samples are put together, I presume it's programmed to play a cacophony of mini-bleeding chunks.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Nothing's changed this morning, with Breakfast drawing to a close as follows:

PT: The Athena Ensemble with Elgar's Promenade. number 3 for winds, promenading into the studio this morning Ian Skelly good morning

IS: Good to morning to you yes I've got Elgar, a little later this morning, and er the piece of music you referred to actually, is composed during that smoking ban, his cello concerto. Er Brahms is in a sort of similar mood really with his Tragic Overture. We're going to explore the Magic Flute in various arrangements as well this morning, and indeed the ... etc.

PT: I don't know if it's fair to say if Elgar was campaigning against smoking because I think he was being told off Yes indeed for smoking when he wrote his Cantata, er disturbed while writing his cello concerto look forward to hearing,. that. Going to finish Breakfast this morning with. Barbara. Hannigan. Er, winner of the Best Classical Solo Vocal Album at the Grammies last year with this, and she. conducts as well as sings, conducting the Ludwig Orchestra, in. Gershwin's. I. Got. Rhythm good morning.

Of course, others notice this style of BBC presentation too. A review of a Proms CD, in the June 2018 BBC Music Magazine, refers to it quite clearly:

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

PT: The Athena Ensemble with Elgar's Promenade. number 3 for winds, promenading into the studio this morning Ian Skelly good morning

IS: Good to morning to you yes I've got Elgar, a little later this morning, and er the piece of music you referred to actually, is composed during that smoking ban, his cello concerto. Er Brahms is in a sort of similar mood really with his Tragic Overture. We're going to explore the Magic Flute in various arrangements as well this morning, and indeed the ... etc.

PT: I don't know if it's fair to say if Elgar was campaigning against smoking because I think he was being told off Yes indeed for smoking when he wrote his Cantata, er disturbed while writing his cello concerto look forward to hearing,. that. Going to finish Breakfast this morning with. Barbara. Hannigan. Er, winner of the Best Classical Solo Vocal Album at the Grammies last year with this, and she. conducts as well as sings, conducting the Ludwig Orchestra, in. Gershwin's. I. Got. Rhythm good morning.

Of course, others notice this style of BBC presentation too. A review of a Proms CD, in the June 2018 BBC Music Magazine, refers to it quite clearly:

Hard to believe that the BBC is broadcasting this absolute rubbish! I'm choosing my words carefully!
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 31-05-18, 11:23.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Listening to last night’s Radio 3 in Concert.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Even I, the defender of Breakfast, thought this morning’s effort was terrible .... I don’t know what the Squire was smoking ........

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Even I, the defender of Breakfast, thought this morning’s effort was terrible .... I don’t know what the Squire was smoking ........
                    He should have listened to Elgar.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I think I would have put another 'Ian' in that sentence:

"Promenading into the studio this morning - Ian Skelly. Ian, good morning."
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I think I would have put another 'Ian' in that sentence:

"Promenading into the studio this morning - Ian Skelly. Ian, good morning."
                        .... and he ended, IIRC, with Gershwin ff ......

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

.... and he ended, IIRC, with Gershwin ff ......
                          Not only that but it was "I got rhythm' one of the three works I named. And the protest would be: Yes, but it's the first time we've played the version BY BARBARA HANNIGAN . Ever.

(Actually, the last piece was by Delius, but Gershwin was the penultimate. I think he was a great musician - but playing the same few pieces over and over again just gives the impression he was pretty limited.)
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Oh, and looking at the closing sequence Marin Marais, Billy Mayerl, Elgar, Gershwin, Delius just makes me decide: "Nevermore".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Oh, and looking at the closing sequence Marin Marais, Billy Mayerl, Elgar, Gershwin, Delius just makes me decide: "Nevermore".
                              Gershwin and Delius do have something in common - I believe Delius's "Florida Suite" was the first "western classical" piece to incorporate a Spiritual. Nevertheless, I do know what you all mean..........

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

Not only that but it was "I got rhythm' one of the three works I named. And the protest would be: Yes, but it's the first time we've played the version BY BARBARA HANNIGAN . Ever.

(Actually, the last piece was by Delius, but Gershwin was the penultimate. I think he was a great musician - but playing the same few pieces over and over again just gives the impression he was pretty limited.)
                                Not sure why you've put 'by Barbara Hannigan' in capitals and followed it with a 'yikes'. It's a wonderful disc (also featuring Sequenza III and the Lulu Suite), and the orchestration of the Gershwin by Hannigan and Bill Elliott is highly original and wonderfully wrought. I was very happy to hear I Got Rhythm, but would have been even happier if there had been time for the whole of the Girl Crazy Suite.

Rhapsody in Blue IS overplayed, for sure (seems to get more outings than the usual Copland suspects, and even the Polovtsian Dances these days); but, again, the Chailly version played earlier in the week was an ear-opener, and I consider Gershwin to be worthy of more esteem than he seems to be getting around these parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X