... did you mean mediƦval?

Or maybe even media evil!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Or maybe even media evil!
      oh very good !!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

PT played a very nice piece for brass band this morning which he identified as 'The Shepherd's Song' but I recognized it as the 'Bailero' from the Songs of the Auvergne.
        I DID hear a little gasp at one point, but am pleased to say that it did not detract from my overall enjoyment.....

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          PT played a very nice piece for brass band this morning which he identified as 'The Shepherd's Song' but I recognized it as the 'Bailero' from the Songs of the Auvergne.
          I DID hear a little gasp at one point, but am pleased to say that it did not detract from my overall enjoyment.....
          Bailero played by a brass band, particulary outdoor on a summer evening, can sound wonderful.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Bailero played by a brass band, particulary outdoor on a summer evening, can sound wonderful.
            ... as long as it is played very far away.

cf bagpipes.

Comment

• Zucchini
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... much further than that - very. very. very far away

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Go on, give it a listen - it's lovely!
                Petroc Trelawny presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.

1 hour and 20 minutes in

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

cf bagpipes.

No, across a pub garden, preferably with a pint of a pleasant summer ale in hand and thoughts of bagpipes, nowhere near enough to spoil the moment.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    Perhaps we needed to hear it as a folk song from the Auvergne rather than as a piece by Canteloube? (I'm not clever enough to know if C might have popped his head enough to demand copyright fees for the harmonies).
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      If the former would stop gasping and punctuate his speech, I might start to like him.
                      It is thanks to this message that, curious, I decided to give '3 Breakfast' a try after a prolonged absence. I now find myself listening to it more frequently and for longer - not least because of PT's style of presentation. Perhaps this is partly for negative reasons - he lacks the (arguably forced) subversiveness of Ian Skelly and the (probably ingrained) schoolmarmish authoritarianism of Suzy Klein - but what I might call his informed informality is attractive. Regarding the content of the programme - well, the SS Full Works sailed some time ago, and at least one is not repeatedly urged to join in as an unpaid programme planner. The way things are going, my defection to the 'Today' programme may well be restricted to the first hour or so.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Well the "style" infected Rob Cowan too. I had assumed that it was part of a BBC directive: speak like a Dalek, so that you never appear to come to the end of a sentence. Then the listeners will not switch off.
                        I think I've cracked it - the reason for the peculiarly unnatural punctuation of several R3 presenters. It came to me yesterday morning as I travelled on a Southern train from London Bridge to Honor Oak Park. The interminable on-board announcements sound very similar to PT on R3. Only the words are different. "Welcome to the Southern. service. to. Caterham. This train will call at. New Cross Gate. Brockley. Honor Oak Park. Forest Hill..." etc.

I suggest that all the spontaneous Breakfast talk is actually pre-recorded words and phrases, linked together BT a technician. The presenters themselves may actually be in the USA or Zimbabwe.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I think I've cracked it - the reason for the peculiarly unnatural punctuation of several R3 presenters. It came to me yesterday morning as I travelled on a Southern train from London Bridge to Honor Oak Park. The interminable on-board announcements sound very similar to PT on R3. Only the words are different. "Welcome to the Southern. service. to. Caterham. This train will call at. New Cross Gate. Brockley. Honor Oak Park. Forest Hill..." etc.

I suggest that all the spontaneous Breakfast talk is actually pre-recorded words and phrases, linked together BT a technician. The presenters themselves may actually be in the USA or Zimbabwe.

Congratulations on finding a Southern Rail train that was actually running.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I didn't notice odd puntuation, or gasps. But I think this is a variant of what I once heard described as the "BBC plonking style". The unnecessary and unnatural stresses on certain words, emphasising them for no particular reason. No ordinary flow and rhythm to the sentences. I imagine that people who listen to a lot of broadcasting get used to it.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
                              • Nov 2010

Or the presenters could be malfunctioning androids made out of baked bean tins ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I didn't notice odd puntuation, or gasps. But I think this is a variant of what I once heard described as the "BBC plonking style". The unnecessary and unnatural stresses on certain words, emphasising them for no particular reason. No ordinary flow and rhythm to the sentences. I imagine that people who listen to a lot of broadcasting get used to it.
                                That seemed to come in as a new directive for delivery in the 1980s. Most seem to have abandoned it at some point, but Dimbletoes, who... presents Questiontime on.... BBC 1 still... uses it, as does his... brother on any... Questions. I can only assume it to be akin to a certain vicar of my childhood years who, by suddenly ............... halting during an otherwise extremely boring sermon, would wake up members of his inattentive congregation who where under the misapprehension that the weekly homily had reached its end.

Comment

Working...
                                X