X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I wouldn't quite take 'Urlicht' as an example of a bleeding chunk. To me, doing single songs from a cycle is not like extracting a single movement from a symphony or sonata.
    I take your point, and am quite happy to replace 'bleeding chunk' with 'extract' or even 'movement' if we're talking about symphonies. The point I was trying to make is that there's much more to Mahler's symphonic output that 'that piece from Death in Venice'. Why not choose the beautiful Andante Moderato from the 6th symphony - with free cowbells!
    (For some reason my spellchecker likes 'Andante' but is questioning 'Moderato')

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Possibly counterintuitively, I find this phrase - which I believe to be an invention of Jonathan Swain on TTN - warmly comforting. I think (and have posted before) that radio is a one-to-one communication. It jars for me when presenters say 'some of you...' which comes from their perspective of broadcasting to many: as a listener, I am the only one s/he is addressing! Especially in the middle of the night.
      I find this a solipsistic way of looking at the world. Even in the middle of night on Radio 3 I doubt whether you are the only listener!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        I find this a solipsistic way of looking at the world. Even in the middle of night on Radio 3 I doubt whether you are the only listener!
        I agree - a solipsistic moment.

And - that is my experience of listening to the radio in certain circumstances. Of course if I think for a couple of microseconds I can imagine that others may be listening.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

It also goes against the received wisdom that listening to radio 'live' is valued as a shared experience!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And I suppose I was thinking of R3 exclusively, since I haven't listened to any other station for getting on for 30 years. But, honestly, no station is really a 24-hour station if you're thinking about 'live' listening. I just rebel against any idea that 'the broadcasters' have worked out what 'people' want, and they're jolly well going to get it at peak listening times (and it's a 'big deal' if that happens to be when, like many others, you want to listen), and no matter what radio station they're listening to. It seems to me stale, lazy and clichéd programming. Texts, tweets, requests - never did new ideas pall so quickly. But this was mainly about presenters: if you want to hear your friendly 'likeable' presenters, you have to put up with the tooth grindingly annoying ones. I don't think that's what R3 should descend to but I'm quite happy to be in a minority in holding this view.

I'm sure they think they do, otherwise they wouldn't do it.
            Were those tweeting or phoning in an informed listenership, as a consequence of the programme's presenters having informed them, as an ongoing part of the kind of educationally enlightening brief that was once upheld by Radio 3, then the interactivity might be welcome! Imagine a phone-in that played a piece by, say, Webern or Skalkottas - a complete piece, note - as a pretext for an interactive discussion on whether or not serialism or 12-tone row-based music had had its day, or whether diatonic tonality had retrieved the form-shaping importance it had had in the great symphonic scheme of 19th century things, or was merely another "colour" to add to 20th century compositional gains. Imagine: we could find the likes of Ahinton and Richard Barrett joining into a really stimulating discussion!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Were those tweeting or phoning in an informed listenership, as a consequence of the programme's presenters having informed them, as an ongoing part of the kind of educationally enlightening brief that was once upheld by Radio 3, then the interactivity might be welcome! Imagine a phone-in that played a piece by, say, Webern or Skalkottas - a complete piece, note - as a pretext for an interactive discussion on whether or not serialism or 12-tone row-based music had had its day, or whether diatonic tonality had retrieved the form-shaping importance it had had in the great symphonic scheme of 19th century things, or was merely another "colour" to add to 20th century compositional gains.

The interactivity that we have is part of the pursuit of populism - 'I have a chance to have my say, regardless of my knowledge [or more often, lack of it]. I know how I feel and [thanks Mitchell and Webb] what I reckon.' Intellectuality is dead.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Aplogies for the interactivity here on Radio 3 Essentials, but my suggestion for the 2follow on" piece was played to day. They played the string orchestral version of John Ireland's A Downland Suite. I have suggested the brass band version of this work at some future date.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Aplogies for the interactivity here on Radio 3 Essentials, but my suggestion for the 2follow on" piece was played to day. They played the string orchestral version of John Ireland's A Downland Suite. I have suggested the brass band version of this work at some future date.
                  Oh well done bbm, scarily interactive ..... hope you told them what the weather was like.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I find this a solipsistic way of looking at the world.
                    I've just had to look up "solipsistic".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I've just had to look up "solipsistic".
                      You're not alone...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally Posted by Sir Velo:
                        It also goes against the received wisdom that listening to radio 'live' is valued as a shared experience!
                        I'm not sure what this means, FF.

If I listen to Today, then I suppose I have a sense of sharing the experience with the presenters; ditto if I listen to Breakfast and Petroc (or whoever) reads out a text from Listener X; and so on....

I can only assert, contra Sir Velo, and possibly contra Mundum (if your assertion is to be believed) that if I am alone in a room listening to a single voice on the radio - be that Jonathan on TTN, or Book of the Week on R4 - then my experience is that of one-to-communication between the broadcaster and me. It's not my way of 'looking at the world'; it's just that very particular experience of Radio.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Frenchie, I think that's a good philosophy to have these days!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            The first movement sounded familiar for some reason, has it been used elsewhere, or perhaps quote a folk tune? As the title didn't ring any bells it's unlikely to be because I've heard it played before several times on the morning programmes(whether Breakfast or, as today, Essential Classics.......)

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

the received wisdom that listening to radio 'live' is valued as a shared experience
                              Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I'm not sure what this means, FF.

If I listen to Today, then I suppose I have a sense of sharing the experience with the presenters;
                              It means that while you are listening, thousands of other listeners are sharing the same experience with you, whether it's at a concert or choral evensong.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

It means that while you are listening, thousands of other listeners are sharing the same experience with you, whether it's at a concert or choral evensong.
                                Perhaps, then, Sir Velo is right after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X