• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    But I'm sure Georgia has generate some support hereabouts before .... personally I think she is fine
    It probably depends what one is looking for: a good broadcasting technique and enough knowledge not to make mistakes are both equally desirable, but different listeners may pay more attention to one aspect and less to the other. We don't seem to get both combined: knowledge seems to be in shorter supply. Can't comment on GM. (A third aspect is the way the persona comes over: that again affects different listeners in different ways.)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

But I'm sure Georgia has generate some support hereabouts before .... personally I think she is fine

OG

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Me too.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Does she play an old sweet in your mind? Perhaps the thought of serving up such a dire formula on Breakfast means they are finding it difficult to find female presenters who want rise so early!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            serving up such a dire formula
            This is the main point: you either like this brand of iPod shuffle programme or you need something more thoughtful and informed. (If the argument is that no one wants to be concentrating on the radio on a busy weekday, what about restful Sunday Mornings which now follow the same format?)
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Hmmmm. I must have caught her on a bad moment this morning. I tuned in just as the finale of the Moonlight was broadcast; well ... I suppose if you're going to tune in for a bleeding chunk, the Finale's the least damaging chunk (you can pretend they've played the whole work, but you missed the first two movements) - so, OK. But then, there was an effusive advert (lasting nearly as long as the Beethoven chunk) for events happening in the middle of May (the month, not the PM) in which it was felt necessary to 'phone Katie Derham, upon which the gasps of astonishment (as if someone had just told them about the invention of the spoon) which crawled up to the highest octaves in enthusiasm.

Personally, I think she should be fined.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Hmmmm. I must have caught her on a bad moment this morning. I tuned in just as the finale of the Moonlight was broadcast; well ... I suppose if you're going to tune in for a bleeding chunk, the Finale's the least damaging chunk (you can pretend they've played the whole work, but you missed the first two movements) - so, OK. But then, there was an effusive advert (lasting nearly as long as the Beethoven chunk) for events happening in the middle of May (the month, not the PM) in which it was felt necessary to 'phone Katie Derham, upon which the gasps of astonishment (as if someone had just told them about the invention of the spoon) which crawled up to the highest octaves in enthusiasm.

But was that something she was responsible for, or something she was required to do? I found an urgent task elsewhere at that point(the KD telephone bit), but I would be reluctant to blame GM for it happening in the first place without proof that it was her suggestion.
                The intrusive and excessive trailers are a whole other issue, but again not, I would suggest, the fault of the presenter?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I have begun to respect Georgia Mann quite a lot. I think she should have taken over from RC when he left. She's much better than ian Skelly.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    But was that something she was responsible for, or something she was required to do? I found an urgent task elsewhere at that point(the KD telephone bit), but I would be reluctant to blame GM for it happening in the first place without proof that it was her suggestion.
                    The intrusive and excessive trailers are a whole other issue, but again not, I would suggest, the fault of the presenter?
                    In this case, yes - it wasn't a trailer, it was a "feature" presented by GM in telephone conversation with KD. She might not be held responsible for having to undertake such a conversation, but the squeaky gasps of astonishment were all her own work (she could have kept quiet whilst KD spoke, instead she elected to interpose the gasps).

Comment

• Gasteiner
                      • Nov 2010

As far as I'm concerned, the individual characteristics of each presenter are the least important irritating features of the programmes they present, whether Breakfast or Essential Classics. Rather it's the format of the programmes themselves, involving so much chat of various types and playing only segments of entire pieces, that is so irritaing. I just want programmes to focus on the music, with the chat content kept to a minimum, more like the way it used to be years ago. But this is not going to happen. Since no presenter can offset the disadvantages of the current set-up, I don't bother trying to listen to any of the programmes live as I find them to be so frustrating.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Good ol' Donald and good ol' Sean look like the only men getting a look-in (what was Ms Drm doing?) today (and Mr Swain before 6.30am).

Not sure what I think about that - it seems to make the 'tokenism' idea stronger: we know this isn't really how things are.

Could this keen interest have possibly generated the call to Mrs Drm ...... ????

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Gasteiner View Post
                          As far as I'm concerned, the individual characteristics of each presenter are the least important irritating features of the programmes they present, whether Breakfast or Essential Classics. Rather it's the format of the programmes themselves, involving so much chat of various types and playing only segments of entire pieces, that is so irritaing. I just want programmes to focus on the music, with the chat content kept to a minimum, more like the way it used to be years ago. But this is not going to happen. Since no presenter can offset the disadvantages of the current set-up, I don't bother trying to listen to any of the programmes live as I find them to be so frustrating.
                          Many R2 programmes now seem to relish reading out what listeners that contact them are doing at that time such as what they are eating and drinking. I just don't know why anyone should be interested in Dennis and Marie from Frodsham standing in their kitchen eating pizza and drinking Prosecco. I hope R3 doesn't go down that route but I fear it will.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

a "feature" presented by GM in telephone conversation with KD
                            Wh-y-y? (I think I might have emitted audible gasps in those circumstances.)

[Bring back Dennis and Marie from Frodsham]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Gasteiner View Post
                              You echo my own opinion, Gasteiner - I normally avoid both programmes, but the favourable comments for Ms Mann, together with a sense of Hostly duty led me to "see for myself". So ... I came, I saw, I switched off.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

I got rather lost in the sub-clauses of your second sentence, but you seem to be assuming that only the finale was played. I'm not sure on what basis you make that assumption, but I can assure you that the whole sonata was played.

As for the references to 'crawling up to the highest octaves of enthusiasm' and 'squeaky gasps of astonishment', I heard the conversation in question and your description strikes me as both exaggerated and (coming the day after IWD) unfortunately gender-prejudiced.

Comment

Working...
                                X