X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    You mean we realise it's always been like this? Yes, and on the other hand it draws attention usefully to the inequity - and its effects: I'm sure there are some who miss the presence of the usual DWMs, and even LWMs, and therefore they must understand how others miss the presence of the women composers.

It's a bit CFM only to appreciate what is familiar
    Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, but:
    DWM = ?
    LWM = ?
    CFM = Classic FM?
    (One of John Humphrys's strengths as an interviewer is that anybody using too many abbreviations or too much jargon is politely interrupted while he (JH that is) explains it or asks his guest to do so. This almost always has the desired effect).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Dead White Males
      Living White Males
      (and, yes; Classic Frequency Modulation)

Hope that helps, Lovable Man can Do.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Dead White Males
        Living White Males

In my defence I was using DWM in a somewhat ironic way to accommodate those who think in those terms, invariably in a disparaging way (LDBs (Long Dead Buffers) are fine by me!). I used LWM on the analogy: being altogether less distasteful to some people, the acronym is less frequently encountered …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Who was this morning's guest presenter ?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Who was this morning's guest presenter ?
            Georgia Mann. I wouldn't call her a 'guest' anymore. She seems to have taken over from Clemency as the regular stand-in for Petroc.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              Georgia Mann. I wouldn't call her a 'guest' anymore. She seems to have taken over from Clemency as the regular stand-in for Petroc.
              She's been presenting all week. I'm not sure that it's right to call her a 'stand-in for Petroc'. Breakfast has two presenters, one man, one woman: they alternate.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

She's been presenting all week. I'm not sure that it's right to call her a 'stand-in for Petroc'. Breakfast has two presenters, one man, one woman: they alternate.
                Is GM a "stand-in" for Clemmie?

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Is GM a "stand-in" for Clemmie?
                  "Who cares, Habibi, they're gorgeous."

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

But it seems to me to be a very unequal alternation. Certainly it was when Clemency was the alternate. In fact, as often as not, when Petroc was absent he seemed to be replaced by Ian Skelly.

Georgia Mann has been introduced with so little fanfare that the impression I get is very much that Breakfast is now Petroc's domain rather there being a true alternation.

Oddly enough, the Breakfast home page still shows Petroc and Clemency sharing the studio, but as far as I can tell Clemency is permanently on other duties these days.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I tuned into Breakfast yesterday briefly, and caught a piece where GM was praising the virtues of Ravel’s house.

Which she told us twice that we can no longer visit.

Still at least I didnt make a pointless spur of the moment trip........
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Dead White Males
                        Living White Males

Many thanks, Friendly Helpful Gent!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

But it seems to me to be a very unequal alternation. Certainly it was when Clemency was the alternate. In fact, as often as not, when Petroc was absent he seemed to be replaced by Ian Skelly.

Georgia Mann has been introduced with so little fanfare that the impression I get is very much that Breakfast is now Petroc's domain rather there being a true alternation.

Oddly enough, the Breakfast home page still shows Petroc and Clemency sharing the studio, but as far as I can tell Clemency is permanently on other duties these days.
                            Clemency was last on at the end of January, and it may well be that as a very busy person she has been engaged on other projects during February. The fact that Petroc is the longest standing/permanent presenter, doesn't quite make it 'his show': it means the BBC is finding some difficulty finding women suitably qualified to act as a permanent counterpart (as CBH and SMP have been in the past).

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

I think you are correct unders ........

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Clemency was last on at the end of January, and it may well be that as a very busy person she has been engaged on other projects during February. The fact that Petroc is the longest standing/permanent presenter, doesn't quite make it 'his show': it means the BBC is finding some difficulty finding women suitably qualified to act as a permanent counterpart (as CBH and SMP have been in the past).
                                But I'm sure Georgia has generate some support hereabouts before .... personally I think she is fine

Comment

Working...
                                X